Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
DavidC
Edge User

What is Your FI?

For me, I have a wireless network at home and certainly know where hotspots are (restaurants, etc) that I can connect to. That being said, I travel with my job and cannot always get one. I have now gotten a VZW MiFi (mobile aircard that transmits wifi) and love the pairing of MiFi and eDGe!

In recent meetings I kept the LCD and wifi off to save battery (and my MiFi) and then at intervals turned them on to sync and check messages. It was a good strategy as I went all day (2 days in a row) taking my notes on the e-ink screen and never was behind on my email.

I know other carriers also have a similar device and wondered what other eDGe users were doing. What are your WiFi strategies? Do you live in an area with so much public WiFi it's not an issue?

Old 05-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
///Maui
Edge User

This is exactly what the eDGe was designed for. I'm glad to see you're using it to its potential!

Old 05-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
DavidC
Edge User

I love not bringing my work laptop out at meetings because I don't get distracted to do other things (IM with coworkers, budget tool work, etc) and yet I am still in contact and productive. My coworkers jab me a bit when I email the handwritten notes but we also use MS OneNote and my laptop is a tablet so they are somewhat used to it.

borisb, I think the hardware is the same as mine that you will get from BM. I like it. I wish the battery were better, but it works.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
NiaTrue
Edge User

I have access to public WiFi almost everywhere I go in the Big Apple, but I'm wondering about a trip this summer to Germany and the Netherlands. I never needed public WiFi on previous trips and didn't pay attention to its availability. Anyone know how prevalent public WiFi is in Amsterdam, Dusseldorf, Munich?

Old 05-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
kenjennings
Edge User

Does Europe use the same WiFi specs as US devices? (Just thought I'd be the one to ask the stupid question.)

Old 05-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
Franky
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
Does Europe use the same WiFi specs as US devices? (Just thought I'd be the one to ask the stupid question.)
yup, no problemo. i use the eDGe in Switzerland at home, at Starbucks etc. I do would like to get a 3G possibility, that would make my life much easier ... you can use WiFi all over Europe, the world I guess.. I think WiFi is WiFi....

Last edited by Franky; 05-13-2010 at 04:28 PM.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
NiaTrue
Edge User

I thought the frequencies used in U.S. and Europe were different? Of course, they could be different ranges that have a set of frequencies in common. Hope so. ;-)

Old 05-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
alefor
Edge User

WiFi is WiFi around the world. There seem to be no compatibility issues in various countries. The big variable is availability. Here in Japan, public WiFi is almost non-existent. I use a MyFi device (from Japan) that works great with my eDGe and various other devices. It's a perfect solution because I pay once and use it with any of my devices. Evem when a 3G eDGe is available, i would never get it since MyFi is totally flexible.

While public WiFi is pathetic here, we do have great 3G networks with virtually no dead spots. If you can find WiFi available, wherever you are, I am confident the eDGe will be fine.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:32 AM   #9
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
Anyone know how prevalent public WiFi is in Amsterdam, Dusseldorf, Munich?
There are a lot of free hotspots in Amsterdam. Just google "wifi+Amterdam" and you find a lot of information and maps. Amsterdam works on free wifi in the total area of the city. It might work in a few months. No exact date known yet. I think the German's will provide wifi for you too. (There is not a lot of difference between Europe and the USA: only the selling of the eDGe.)

Last edited by sjarrel; 05-14-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
vicinc
Edge User

I have a £49 GBP MIFI from three.co.uk that I unlocked and can use anyway in Europe with local PAYG data cards/ modem is huawei e5830 and is a cool device working perfect with ee.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:52 AM   #11
jonnickell
Edge User

I have Clearwire for both home and portable usb. $50 a month flat unlimited speed and data. I use this with a clearspot moble wifi router and have 5m + access almost anywhere. I love it. I don't have a smart phone so am not looking to tether.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:31 AM   #12
edgelover
Edge User

I have a sprint mifi and it works great on my edge I use it while I am out and about, I use it on the bus, on the train, in parks on breaks while traveling from from office to office throughout the country.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
NiaTrue
Edge User

Edgelover, if you don't mind telling, how much does that Sprint mifi cost you? Do you also have a data plan for you phone with Sprint? Does the Sprint mifi offer international coverage?

Old 06-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
I have access to public WiFi almost everywhere I go in the Big Apple, but I'm wondering about a trip this summer to Germany and the Netherlands. I never needed public WiFi on previous trips and didn't pay attention to its availability. Anyone know how prevalent public WiFi is in Amsterdam, Dusseldorf, Munich?
NiaTrue, I just tested access to a few public WiFi-spots. The EE works well here, so enjoy your stay in The Netherlands in the summer.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #15
NiaTrue
Edge User

Thanks, sjarrel! I'm looking forward to cruising around Amsterdam and Den Hague, eDGe in hand!