Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #61
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I feel that Apple could have sold 5 or even 10 times as many iPads if they had decided to make the device appeal to technical users instead of just non-techs. They could have sold me one if they:

Added built-in SDHC card reader.
Added built-in USB port
Included a built-in file browser (with copy/paste to/from device with no restrictions)
Unlocked the hardware so you can install apps from anywhere.
Printer manufactures make more money selling toner/ink than they do selling printers.
Apple is trying to promote an ecosystem, a way of thinking and using devices, not just selling hardware.
If they can get market share and a slice of all music/content and applications sold, that will make them more money in the long term than selling more hardware but losing the application revenue.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #62
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Printer manufactures make more money selling toner/ink than they do selling printers.
Apple is trying to promote an ecosystem, a way of thinking and using devices, not just selling hardware.
If they can get market share and a slice of all music/content and applications sold, that will make them more money in the long term than selling more hardware but losing the application revenue.
I need the opposite. I am willing to spend money upfront to purchase quality hardware, but I am not spending very much on apps or content.
As far as the printer analogy, that is exactly what should be avoided. The printer should cost a bit more upfront but the cartridges should be cheap. The whole printer ink thing is a huge scam and we should avoid this in the future.

Last edited by CyGuy; 05-05-2010 at 11:25 AM.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #63
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
CyGuy, in that case, you should buy an Axiotron ModBook:

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #64
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
CyGuy, in that case, you should buy an Axiotron ModBook:

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

William

Very nice device, thanks for the link!
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #65
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
I don't understand how iPad will put the stake in flash's heart.

They sold 1 million, but really that is not that big of a dent into the PC/Laptop/Netbook base. I don't think web developers think o man we have to make sure this works on the iPad, but forget about the other MILLIONS of stations out there. This flash is dying stuff is really overblown. Especially if Android 2.2 comes out and has flash built in for mobile devices, and works great, then there is no death bed here. Also as I said before Flash does not kill the battery more than any other program that uses resources on my equipment I have. (though I have MAC OS x on my netbook, flash doesn't kill my battery any faster than anything else but that said I don't know how MAC hardware is like though).

Unless you can show me a video where flash kills a iPhone quicker than the youtube app or playing a Farmville App over Playing Farmville on flash (which is impossiple I know since you know no flash) then you cannot make that statement. You have no proof.

But as I said before if you want flash, do not buy an iPad. People have their opinions on flash. Most of the sites I go to are basical HTML. Sure some video games sites I go to are flash driven, but I have a netbook for that. If I get an iPad (waiting for a price drop, or hitting the lottery lol), I am mostly going to use it for an E-reader, possibly netflix, and of course some gaming apps. Probably won't use it much for browsing at all, that is what my netbook is for.

Last edited by rock; 05-05-2010 at 12:22 PM.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #66
lifevicarious
lifevicarious is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
I don't understand how iPad will put the stake in flash's heart.

They sold 1 million, but really that is not that big of a dent into the PC/Laptop/Netbook base. I don't think web developers think o man we have to make sure this works on the iPad, but forget about the other MILLIONS of stations out there. This flash is dying stuff is really overblown. Especially if Android 2.2 comes out and has flash built in for mobile devices, and works great, then there is no death bed here. .
It's funny that you say the iPad is not the stake by comparing Andorid 2.2 yet you fail to take into account the 50 million iPhones sold, the millions of touches, and the millions more of all of those that will be sold this year. That is certainly a big enough market for companies to migrate away from an old technology.

Quote:
IAlso as I said before Flash does not kill the battery more than any other program that uses resources on my equipment I have. (though I have MAC OS x on my netbook, flash doesn't kill my battery any faster than anything else but that said I don't know how MAC hardware is like though).
You are wrong. Open up your system tools and look how much system resources are being used when the flash player is running, the battery ABSOLUTELY drains much faster.

Quote:
Unless you can show me a video where flash kills a iPhone quicker than the youtube app or playing a Farmville App over Playing Farmville on flash (which is impossiple I know since you know no flash) then you cannot make that statement. You have no proof. .
As I said, look at your system resources. You are the only one that has ever said it doesn't drain the battery faster, it's not even debatable.

Quote:
But as I said before if you want flash, do not buy an iPad. People have their opinions on flash. Most of the sites I go to are basical HTML. Sure some video games sites I go to are flash driven, but I have a netbook for that. If I get an iPad (waiting for a price drop, or hitting the lottery lol), I am mostly going to use it for an E-reader, possibly netflix, and of course some gaming apps. Probably won't use it much for browsing at all, that is what my netbook is for.
I have a feeling if you get one, you will use it for browsing. Why would you have a hot heavy notebook when you can do the same thing with an elegeant touch device that is less then 1/3rd the weight and 3x the battery life.
lifevicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #67
lifevicarious
lifevicarious is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Although you are correct about the printer companies, you are incorrect about Apple. Take a look at their revenue breakdown, revenue from the app store and itunes is very minimal, it is just better then breakeven. Apple is a HARDWARE company. 95% of their revenue comes from hardware, if you think they are losing money on hardware to make money on software/media, you are sorely mistaken.
lifevicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #68
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
It's funny that you say the iPad is not the stake by comparing Andorid 2.2 yet you fail to take into account the 50 million iPhones sold, the millions of touches, and the millions more of all of those that will be sold this year. That is certainly a big enough market for companies to migrate away from an old technology.
Erm Android OS tablets. I am not refering to phone devices, that has no bearing on it. how many people are going to prefer iPhone for browsing at home?

Quote:
You are wrong. Open up your system tools and look how much system resources are being used when the flash player is running, the battery ABSOLUTELY drains much faster.
Umm no I am not wrong. I am talking about my battery draining. Please tell me when you sit over my shoulder and watch my netbook die faster because I am using flash. Like I said before. Anything you will use that takes resources will drain battery life. Watching an avi file, playing a game, so saying using flash kills your battery is a ridiculous arguement. I have never seen that in my usings of laptops and netbooks.

Quote:
As I said, look at your system resources. You are the only one that has ever said it doesn't drain the battery faster, it's not even debatable.
you obviously haven't seen the other threads on this where people said it doesn't affect them.

Quote:
I have a feeling if you get one, you will use it for browsing. Why would you have a hot heavy notebook when you can do the same thing with an elegeant touch device that is less then 1/3rd the weight and 3x the battery life.
Do you have a netbook? This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard. My netbook has 9 hours (what is an iPad 10-12 hours) and mine only weighs 3 pounds.

And I would use my netbook because I prefer the keyboard, and I do all my browsing laying in bed.

As I said before this flash argument needs to die the iPad will never have it so people should stop harping on it, and people need to stop just repeating what Jobs says about flash.

Also another misconception. Flash is not just a video player. That is all.

Last edited by rock; 05-05-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #69
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifevicarious View Post
Although you are correct about the printer companies, you are incorrect about Apple. Take a look at their revenue breakdown, revenue from the app store and itunes is very minimal, it is just better then breakeven. Apple is a HARDWARE company. 95% of their revenue comes from hardware, if you think they are losing money on hardware to make money on software/media, you are sorely mistaken.
You should take a look at Steve Jobs saying that he sees the App store as a billion dollar sector. Apple is estimated to have realized a quarter of a billion dollars profit from it in 2009. Plus, it's not just apps. It's all sorts of media that Apple is trying to sell you while in the walled garden, and take a cut from each sale. This includes books, even though Steve Jobs claimed a year ago that "nobody reads" anymore....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #70
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Shrug, what's wrong with Apple trying to get a cut? I don't hear anyone crying about Amazon selling all sorts of media and making a profit off of it. Sort of how corporations work, ya know? Oh wait, Walmart sells all sorts of media too! Target.. Sears..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #71
rock
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
You should take a look at Steve Jobs saying that he sees the App store as a billion dollar sector. Apple is estimated to have realized a quarter of a billion dollars profit from it in 2009. Plus, it's not just apps. It's all sorts of media that Apple is trying to sell you while in the walled garden, and take a cut from each sale. This includes books, even though Steve Jobs claimed a year ago that "nobody reads" anymore....
While Valid points, lifvicarious does have a point.

Apple makes their money from hardware, and from their software only working on their hardware. This is why there is the notion that many IT people hate Apple because it is not open. If Apple wanted to become a strict software company (like MS), they would allow their operating system to work on any hardware (without hacks of course).

There are not many Apple programs that work on a Windows PC, so they really rely on the hardware sales, and why their prices are jacked up. The app store was a brilliant idea honestly. Apple not only takes 30% of the sale price, but the company has to pay Apple a Yearly fee to sell their apps. So with all those crappy .99 apps, Apple is making good money when they sell a lot and really all they did was host it.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #72
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
That still leaves the question of how a touch technology pad will compensate for the hover over function, though.
True. I mainly need flash for video, so it's not a biggie for me.

Would seem easy enough to program it so touching something for 3 seconds, or double touching etc. equaled a mouse hover. Not ideal, but would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifevicarious View Post
It's fine for quick browsing, but I'd still mainly use my laptop as I do a lot of forum posting which is easier with a real key board, watch a decent amount of Flash video, and even the things like ABC/Netflix video that have apps I'd rather watch on my larger laptop screen. With the one exception being watching in bed where'd I'd rather not have the bulky, hot laptop.

So whatever tablet I get will get used for web browsing, but at home I'd still do most of that on my laptop.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #73
rock
Addict

What kind of laptop you got dmaul? Is it a laptop or netbook?

I got an MSI Wind and that thing never runs hot! It really impressed me, and of course the ability to run MAC OS X on it was a plus. Get a 9-cell get 7.5 to 9 hours (depends on what you do) of life and your good to go.

Netflix runs like a champ, but I use my PS3 for most of that anyway on the 32 in in my room.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #74
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
What kind of laptop you got dmaul? Is it a laptop or netbook?

I got an MSI Wind and that thing never runs hot! It really impressed me, and of course the ability to run MAC OS X on it was a plus. Get a 9-cell get 7.5 to 9 hours (depends on what you do) of life and your good to go.

Netflix runs like a champ, but I use my PS3 for most of that anyway on the 32 in in my room.

Laptop. Thinkpad T400. Never had any need for an underpowered Netbook that can handle my data work, HD streaming video etc.

It doesn't get super hot, just annoying to use in Bed. I also don't watch a ton of streaming video on it in general as I mainly DVR TV shows, and watch Netflix on my Xbox 360.

The once exception is heavy use of ESPN 360 during college football and basketball season.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #75
rock
Addict

My netbook runs HD video good when I overclock it (it is a feature in the bios). I haven't had a problem with it. I got a netbook so I could lay in bed and do some classwork online.

Streaming on the 360 was good, but moved onto the PS3 version since my 360 got hosed again plus didn't want to buy live again. I heard the Wii streaming works great too. If netlfix only did games too.

I don't stream much on mine either, mostly a message board, and checking up news sites, and gaming sites. Though the times I do stream I get the same amount of time using my netbook on battery as I do heavy browsing.