Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
njf
njf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Voyage (PW2 now deceased)
Jailbreaking a new Kindle Voyage

Hi

Sorry but I would be grateful for some help in jailbreaking a new Kindle Voyage.

A long time ago I jailbroke a PW2 but not long ago it developed a problem with the USB connection so I have just bought a new Voyage from Amazon in preference to the new PW.

I have tried to follow the various posts but, being somewhat of a novice in all this, I am worried about the comments about recent firmware preventing jailbreaking.

The installed firmware is 5.8.7.0.1 so, if I understand correctly, I should be able to jailbreak it.

I believe Amazon registered it to my account but I have not connected it to wifi and have turned on airplane mode so that it would not update the firmware OTA.

As an aside, I have bought hardly any books from Amazon and virtually all my books will be sideloaded when I have got it working.

What I am planning to do is

1. Charge fully.
2. Reset.
3. Create the folder update.bin.tmp.partial at top level.
4. Add factory_KV_5.5.0_initial to top level and Update Your Kindle.
5. Copy main-htmlviewer.tar.gz to /mnt/us/ and in search bar, type ;installHtml and press return.
6. Copy Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.15.N_install.bin to root and Update Your Kindle.

Does that all look right?

Then I am supposed to be able to update the firmware. The current version available from Amazon is 5.10.1.1. Is it safe to use that one or do I need to find something lower?

TIA
njf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
That looks good to me except that the exact factory file name I used was update_KV_5.5.0_initial.bin
and you might want to consider 5.8.11 as user kernel version for reasons discussed in the Kindle 5 JB thread (kindlets for one).
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2018, 07:04 AM   #3
njf
njf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
That looks good to me except that the exact factory file name I used was update_KV_5.5.0_initial.bin
and you might want to consider 5.8.11 as user kernel version for reasons discussed in the Kindle 5 JB thread (kindlets for one).
Thanks for the advice. Sorry for being obtuse, but could you link the thread you mentioned?

Also, where can I find 5.8.11 firmware? Amazon only seems to offer the current firmware.

Thanks a lot.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:10 AM   #4
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by njf View Post
Also, where can I find 5.8.11 firmware? Amazon only seems to offer the current firmware.

Thanks a lot.
Copy the link to the latest update bin-file and change the figures in the end of the link to the desired version.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Sorry for being obtuse, but could you link the thread you mentioned?
This is the one I had in mind:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877

But this is also a good place to look:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What do you want to do with a new Kindle that you would need to jailbreak that you cannot do with the current firmware?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
njf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What do you want to do with a new Kindle that you would need to jailbreak that you cannot do with the current firmware?
My reason for jailbreaking is I want to use collections in Calibre. I think it ridiculous that Amazon doesn't allow a way to manage collections on sideloaded books except on the Kindle itself.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
marrco
Enthusiast
marrco began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw4
Quote:
Use the book cover as a screensaver.
marrco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
njf

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrco View Post
Use the book cover as a screensaver.
That is also useful. I had that on my now dead PW.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #10
njf

Well, I've got as far as installing the hotfix so I should be jailbroken now. I have not yet updated the firmware to a later version. Is there an easy way to check the jailbreak was successful before updating the firmware?

I see that the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz is still there on the Kindle. Is that normal as all the bin files disappeared after the updates? Do I need to leave it or can it be deleted?
Old 11-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #11
njf

Quote:
Well, I've got as far as installing the hotfix so I should be jailbroken now. I have not yet updated the firmware to a later version. Is there an easy way to check the jailbreak was successful before updating the firmware?

I see that the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz is still there on the Kindle. Is that normal as all the bin files disappeared after the updates? Do I need to leave it or can it be deleted?
Sorry, unnecessary questions. I just went to the homescreen and it showed a book called You are Jailbroken and inside the book says I can delete the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz file.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:56 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I can understand wanting collections, but to do it just to be able to change the sleep image (it's not a screensaver as eInk does not need such) seems silly to me. Why not just buy a Reader that already does the cover as a sleep image?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I can understand wanting collections, but to do it just to be able to change the sleep image (it's not a screensaver as eInk does not need such) seems silly to me. Why not just buy a Reader that already does the cover as a sleep image?
It's possible one might not like the other aspects of that alternative Reader.

I've had a Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Glo HD and Kindle PW3. The PW3 is the one I used most even if in terms of specifications, one of the Kobos should've won.

Granted, if the PRS-350 had front light, it would win.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 11-15-2018 at 08:09 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:49 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Sorry, unnecessary questions. I just went to the homescreen and it showed a book called You are Jailbroken and inside the book says I can delete the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz file.
Reading the generated messages can be considered nearly as bad as reading the directions.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:50 AM   #15
marrco
Enthusiast
marrco began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw4
Quote:
I do use collections (LS and Calibre plugin work fine on my pw4), but those could be manually created too.

So changing the sleep image to book cover is the real reason for me. And I prefer the brand Kindle to other readers.

Add to that the fact that I like to be root on tools that I own. Even if I am not using to play chess or installing add-ons ATM.
marrco is offline   Reply With Quote