Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #166
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Interesting to see that most here are really happy with their frontlit readers.
I only had a negative experience with a Paperwhite that was not as sharp as my Kindle Keyboard (first series) which has kept me from making another trial so far (using my Kindle Fire instead), but there seems a good chance that I might be happy with another trial at some point in the future, when product quality is seen generally as stable.

Best regards,
Andy
Just for the record, I love my Paperwhite, and could never go back, but I did go through 8 replacements for two devices total, and the two I kept still have a light bruising efffect and one has a hole/dead pixel type bright spot.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #167
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I've had my Paperwhite for one week and am still adjusting to the touch screen. My Kindle Keyboard was killed a couple of months ago but my Kindle Basic is sitting on the nightstand neglected. I can scarcely stand to read a book on it and two weeks ago it was great.

A friend of mine complains about her Paperwhite. Fuzzy letters, shadows. She insists my Paperwhite is much better than hers. I put them side by side and listened to her whine. Then I put the same font on both and the same light intensity. For me they were identical. For my friend, they were totally different and mine was superior. I offered to swap but the offer was rejected.

I think the Paperwhite is the state-of-the-art for e-ink readers. For now, I would not buy an e-reader that wasn't front lit.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #168
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I bought myself a Nook ST Glowlight right before Christmas, and have now bought two more - one for my gym bag, and one for my husband. One refurb off eBay ($89), two refurb from Fry's online ($79 each), no problems with any of them.

And, no, I will never go back to a non-backlit e-ink device.

Prior to this my main reading device was my Android phone, precisely because it was backlit. But with the phone I always worried about running out of battery before the end of the day, and not being able to actually use it as a phone if I needed to. I still read a lot on the phone since it stays in my pocket and is handy for standing in line and other times I don't have the Nook with me. But I mostly read now on the Nooks.

I especially love that I can put the Glowlight on just a bit, almost undetectably, just to improve things when in low light, and also that I can turn it off completely if the ambient light is good.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #169
Agar242
Agar242 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Agar242 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Agar242 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Agar242 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook ST, kobo mini
I did go back to a non-glow screen. I purchased a nook glowlight after having the original touch for a year or two. At first i thought it was the bees knees, but after having to take it in time and time again for small scratches that would magically appear on the screen while sitting undisturbed in its leather case, I quickly got over it. Every two weeks it was back to best buy to exchange for a new nook glowlight (good thing I bought a warranty). Now, on a non-glow e-ink reader a scratch wouldn't be that much of a big deal, but with a glow screen these small scratches refract the light and you end up with a big brilliant light shining from the scratch; its quite distracting! So after 7 returns I finally gave up! I returned it for good and decided to get a kobo mini with store credit to spare! I'd rather carry my octovo solaris around then deal with those glow screens.
Agar242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #170
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agar242 View Post
Every two weeks it was back to best buy to exchange for a new nook glowlight (good thing I bought a warranty). Now, on a non-glow e-ink reader a scratch wouldn't be that much of a big deal, but with a glow screen these small scratches refract the light and you end up with a big brilliant light shining from the scratch; its quite distracting!
In fairness, the Nook Glowlight screens seemed to be much more susceptible to scratching than any of the other front-lit screens, so while your experience was bad, it doesn't necessarily reflect the state of newer front-lit readers.
Glad you're enjoying your Mini!
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #171
Agar242
Agar242 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Agar242 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Agar242 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Agar242 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

It's good to know that the others aren't as fragile. I might consider another front-lit if they would make a 5 inch one :P
Old 05-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #172
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
I have had a Nook Glo for almost 1yr now.. Use it everyday.. I don't know what your smoking or how long your fingernails are, but scratches on my screen are unheard of.. My wife's is perfect as well... Am I missing something?
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #173
Agar242

Smoke-free and due to career i have to keep my nails as short as possible
Supposedly they are prone to stress fractures from the smallest of movements LOL
Old 05-17-2013, 05:44 AM   #174
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I bought a paperback book recently. I looked for the front lighting, and it didn't work.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #175
BWinmill
Nameless Being

That's the problem with antiquated technology like paperback books. Maybe we should just burn them, rather than having embarrassing conversations with our children about how primitive reading used to be.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #176
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I would probably not get an ereader that wasn't lighted with some technology that lets me read in bright sunlight. I will never buy a tablet computer for reading but then no one does really.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #177
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
I love my Kobo Glo that I've owned for only two months. I live on a sailing boat and power consumption is a major issue. Being able to read in the evening without using overhead lighting is a huge bonus and one that I won't give up.
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #178
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I'm not interested in a glow-screen. I mean, I wouldn't turn one down if given it, but I keep hearing about recurring issues with lighting and dead pixels. Since I only want an eReader for a cheap traveling device, a lighted screen wouldn't be worth the extra cost and hassle if it ever had problems.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #179
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I would probably not get an ereader that wasn't lighted with some technology that lets me read in bright sunlight. I will never buy a tablet computer for reading but then no one does really.
I picked up a tablet for reading. Don't get me wrong: eink displays are great for certain types of publications. On the other hand, the slow refresh rates and dominance of small monochrome screens, means that they aren't suitable for other types of publications. So I ended up with two devices: an ereader for day-to-day reading (anything that is an ePub and certain PDFs) and a tablet for things like magazines and the remaining PDFs.

As for the front-light bit, now that I have an ereader with this feature I will comment that it is a nice thing to have. Yet it is not the sort of thing that I'd pay extra money for.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #180
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
To put it simply: Never again
The light, whether the current front-lit technologies or new ones in the future are a fundamental part of the reader experience for me. I can't imagine going back to a non lit device anymore than I imagine post mailing in this day and age of e-mails.
Also I assume that when color finally hits readers, I will apply the same philosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Would you ever buy another e-ink device that does not have this front-lit capability
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote