Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-18-2018, 02:04 AM   #1
devtech8
Enthusiast
devtech8 began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD, phone, laptop
GUI on Window, library on Linux, serve over http

So have decided to just keep me ebook in storage on a linux server, but manage things from an installation on Windows 10. That said, are there recommended ways to do this?

Without messing with the location on the linux box where all is stored, can I have the virtual info and cache kept on a drive on my windows box?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks much.
devtech8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:32 AM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by devtech8 View Post
So have decided to just keep me ebook in storage on a linux server, but manage things from an installation on Windows 10. That said, are there recommended ways to do this?

How do I run a remote Linux desktop in Windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devtech8 View Post
Without messing with the location on the linux box where all is stored, can I have the virtual info and cache kept on a drive on my windows box?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks much.
No do not try to info and cache on your windows machine, just use a VNC to administer your calibre.

bernie

P.S.
If you are using your linux machine as a sever using the VNC is the best way to administer it if you are not like using command line.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #3
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
TL;DR: Don't.

Please note that you may run into problems with different case sensitivity between windows and Linux operating systems and file systems. This may cause strange problems over time with orphan books and book entries missing books. And you may not notice the problems before you have lost data.

I have experienced this firsthand. I fixed it by completely abandoning windows and NTFS/FAT32/SMB/CIFS. Now I use Linux, ext4 and nfs4. (I cheat a little with SMB on my NAS for my android devices.)

I belive it is safe to have calibre on windows and have a backup on a Linux computer/NAS.

Last edited by Adoby; 12-18-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
devtech8
Enthusiast
devtech8 began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD, phone, laptop
Ended up going back to Linux and have it running fine now.
devtech8 is offline   Reply With Quote