Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2020, 06:23 PM   #211
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Can someone else check whether font bolding works in standard epubs before I report it at GitHub.
Yes, that is right. The item menu is. But changing the font weight in fact does not work.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:39 PM   #212
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Yes, that is right. The item menu is. But changing the font weight in fact does not work.
Thanks for checking. I have an old AuraHD on v4.19.14123 which is completely unpatched. Even with the built-in fonts the font bolding doesn't work in epubs. The menu & slider work but it has no effect in the book.

I'll raise an issue on geek1011's GitHub but I do wonder whether this is fixable at all, other than by Kobo?

Given how popular this patch is, I'm a bit surprised no-one discovered this before now.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2020, 06:43 PM   #213
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Сan try to adapt the old version for this firmware. But I would wait for the answer geek1011
Old 01-11-2020, 06:50 PM   #214
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Thank you both for checking this one out, I was sure I was doing something wrong.

I'm guessing not many have tried the slider or switched fonts to see that the advanced control doesn't work in epubs. At least for my book, it seems how the font weight was set before I upgraded the firmware and patched, is exactly how it stayed. So unless you needed to change it or swap fonts, you wouldn't notice anything not working, it all looked exactly as it should.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:08 PM   #215
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The only other issue then, should the bottom menu that comes up when you click anywhere in the page, should that really a full inch in height even with the above patches enabled?
Sorry, forgot to answer this one in the kerfuffle.

Yes, it's meant to be that big. It's now a 'scrubber' (whatever that means) rather than a simple menu. It needs room for more buttons. See screenshots in this post.
Advert
Old 01-11-2020, 08:16 PM   #216
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011
code was completely overhauled in this firmware version, so everything broke.
Apparently, the old version can not even look.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:38 PM   #217
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If possible, I would like to have Back to Home patched to My Books if that's possible (for both ePub and KePub). I can go home from My Books if I want. Thanks.
Sorry. That's not going to happen, as there are too many layers of pointers I'd need to fix, and although I could automate it, I frankly don't think it's worth the time (~30 mins per update, or ~3 hours to automate).

But, if I come across a back function which isn't referenced somewhere else, I can probably patch it to always use that function, then change that function to point somewhere else. I won't be actively looking for one, though (it's just if I come across it when updating the patches or testing stuff).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:53 PM   #218
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Thank you both for checking this one out, I was sure I was doing something wrong.

I'm guessing not many have tried the slider or switched fonts to see that the advanced control doesn't work in epubs. At least for my book, it seems how the font weight was set before I upgraded the firmware and patched, is exactly how it stayed. So unless you needed to change it or swap fonts, you wouldn't notice anything not working, it all looked exactly as it should.
Yes. I doubt this will help much, but I'm curious as to if the preview box in the advanced font dialog still works when an EPUB is opened (both patched and unpatched).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Apparently, the old version can not even look.
Yes. It was a mess of old replacements on top of old ones, and basically none of them exist in this firmware. It's a lot easier to do it the current way anyways.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:23 PM   #219
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Yes. I doubt this will help much, but I'm curious as to if the preview box in the advanced font dialog still works when an EPUB is opened (both patched and unpatched).
The preview box does work when patched. I might update another Glo HD and I can check it before patching it, unless someone else beats me to it.

Actually, I believe jackie_w did test it unpatched and said it does work above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Thanks for checking. I have an old AuraHD on v4.19.14123 which is completely unpatched. Even with the built-in fonts the font bolding doesn't work in epubs. The menu & slider work but it has no effect in the book.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 01-11-2020 at 09:25 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:17 AM   #220
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
On my Aura H2O, I can confirm that the Advanced Font Control does not work with ePub.

It has nothing to do with the clock as I do not have it installed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #221
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just had a play around with the Advanced Font Controls and they do sort of work with ePub. The font weight value is being changed with the slider. That does work. But the new value is not being read until a reboot.

Does anyone have an unpatched Kobo with 4.19.14123 to try the Advanced Font Control with built-in fonts and ePub? Maybe this is a bug in the firmware.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:01 AM   #222
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I just had a play around with the Advanced Font Controls and they do sort of work with ePub. The font weight value is being changed with the slider. That does work. But the new value is not being read until a reboot.

Does anyone have an unpatched Kobo with 4.19.14123 to try the Advanced Font Control with built-in fonts and ePub? Maybe this is a bug in the firmware.
Just tested one of my devices, and that's what happened. So, a bug in the firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:02 AM   #223
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes. See post #212.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:04 AM   #224
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Just tested one of my devices, and that's what happened. So, a bug in the firmware.
At least a reboot is a working workaround.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:05 AM   #225
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Would there be someway to kill nickel and restart it so the new font weight value can be read without having to reboot?

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching