Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-15-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Fire HDX8.9 (4th gen), Fire HD6 (4th gen) & Fire HD7 (4th gen)

OMG!

Amazon has finally posted the Fire 5.1.1 updates!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...e_sb_swupdates

WOO HOO!

Last edited by zebradude; 02-15-2016 at 10:46 PM.
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:39 PM   #2
crane3
Fanatic
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Thank your. Used usb method & installing. Looks like just downloading to "/" doesn't/didn't work for me.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2016, 10:41 PM   #3
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
Thank your. Used usb method & installing. Looks like just downloading to "/" doesn't/didn't work for me.
it needs to be dropped into the "internal storage" folder.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201642370
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:21 PM   #4
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
But where is the internal storage? I am on a mac. I have the android transfer thingie, but I can't find the place to drop the update.
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #5
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad mini
No doubt you have read the instructions, but when the Fire mounts as a drive (by virtue of Android File Transfer having been installed), there should be a folder named 'Internal storage'. You would put the .bin file in there. I have never connected my Fire HD6 to my Mac, so cannot say what it actually looks like. I can check it tonight if you are still having issues.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you very much. When I plug in the fire HD6 with the android transfer activated I get this box showing the fire files. I don't see internal storage. What am I missing? I am on a mac with el capitan.
trying to figure out how to add photo. Well, can't even figure out how to insert a photo! Bad tech day. So the files that turn up in the box are: Imagecache, alarms, android, audible books, DCIM, documents, download kindle lazylist, movies, music, notifications, obb, pictures, podcasts, ringtones.

Last edited by Carmelreader; 02-17-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:32 PM   #7
crane3
Fanatic
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
There are instructions for the mac, at least there is one for the 8.9 so would think it is the same. Check back at the Amazon site for the updates & do the "learn more" thingy. I think the internal storage is the "root", not in any folder. From the "howto download manually" instructions.

edit: "
Do not drop the file into any other folder in Internal storage.
If you've installed the Android File Transfer application on your Mac OSX 10.5 or above computer, the application will automatically open when you connect your Fire Tablet to your computer."

Last edited by crane3; 02-17-2016 at 07:36 PM. Reason: added info:
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:42 AM   #8
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad mini
@crane3 is correct.

I just checked on my Mac and Android File Transfer will not show anything labelled 'Internal storage'. What it displays is in fact 'Internal storage'. So just drag and drop the update file to the empty space below the folder listing, and it should get copied to the right place ('the root').

If it accidentally goes into a folder, it won't hurt anything, but the update won't work, and the file will just be taking up space.

The update file will get automatically deleted as part of a successful update.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:12 AM   #9
Carmelreader
Groupie

To be honest I thought I had done that. Just popped it in the after the list of files, but nothing happened. Well, I just tried it again and it worked this time, so I must have done something wrong before. Phew! Well, I sure hope I like this upgrade after going through all that. I really thank you all for you help! Now waiting for the installation.