Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
Question which micro usb to usb stick is best

i keep it short

not sure its right

just found that the kindle paper white can use a card reader
im assuming the kindle voyage can too

any suggestions which card reader i can get.

2 can voyage/ paper white ( 2013 is on box) use kindle fire 2014 usb adapter?

ideally i need one to work on
voyage
paper white
kindle fire 1st & 2nd gen.

and kindle fire 6 or 7 (2014 gen.)

im in uk and ive found two but the scription seem odd
need to know if anyone has tried this

amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/DURAGADGET-Mic.../dp/B00NPVOMCS

amazon uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DURAGADGET-M...sb+card+reader

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DURAGADGET-R...sb+card+reader

Last edited by sian; 11-30-2014 at 06:40 PM.
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Kindle E-Ink ereaders cannot use card readers. Who told you they could?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

see links above
Old 11-30-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
sian
Addict

but i new e ink couldnt so these links are confusing me too which is why i askec cus dint want to waste money on someting that wont work

it says " kindle voyage" at end of both the uk descriptions

the product descripton told me

Last edited by sian; 11-30-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
sian
Addict

ok so should i mention to amazon the product description is confusing
Advert
Old 11-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The titles are an out-and-out lie meant to draw peoples' attention.

Those are standard USB On-The-Go adapters, meant for tablets and smartphones (see the description -- ereaders are not mentioned there) and e-ink ereaders are not USB OTG-enabled devices.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
sian
Addict

thanks .
Old 12-01-2014, 06:24 AM   #8
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
To put an end to all wild speculations, the USB requires that a device is the Master and the other one is the Slave. This is hardwired, so if a device can connect to a PC (which by definition is a Master) it cannot connect to a Slave, via the same USB port. This is also why one cannot directly connect 2 PCs via USB

So, I assume, the MicroSD writers/readers are for using with the PC, then the written/read is put into the eReader.

BTW, many eReaders with MicroSD slots act like cardreaders when connected to a PC, therefore one can directly write upon that card. In fact, all devices I have with SD/MicroSD/CF and the like, if connectible to a PC, act like cardreaders/writers. I have MP3 players, Videoplayers, photocameras, camcorders, even SAT-receivers.

Therefore, the above links are false advertisements, selling unnecessary thing to uninformed/mislead people.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
To put an end to all wild speculations, the USB requires that a device is the Master and the other one is the Slave. This is hardwired, so if a device can connect to a PC (which by definition is a Master) it cannot connect to a Slave, via the same USB port. ...
The signaling is hardwired, but the logic can be software controlled and adapt to conditions.

With USB (plain and simple) both the wiring and the logic are fixed. A device is either a Host (aka "master") or Client (aka "slave"), period.

With USB/OTG (a new and somewhat different animal) the logic is adaptable to the current condition and is controlled by the wiring. A USB/OTG device can operate as either a Master or Client. When used with a standard USB cable (all OTG devices currently use a microUSB 2.0 B connector) the device will work as a Client. When used with a special USB>OTG adapter or special USB>OTG device (e.g. certain memory sticks, ...) the device will will act as a Host. Currently, USB/OTG ports are found only on Tablets and tablet-esque smart phones. Devices running recent versions of Android provide full functionality in both modes. Tablets running Windows 8.1 provide full functionality in the Host mode but only act as a power consumer (read: they charge only) when in the Client mode; they don't act as a Mass Storage device for data transfer.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
sian
Addict

email amazon and now going email the seller . so can find out why the two usb card readers are saying that these work on kindle voyage.

also found

head phone on a web site called mobilefun http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/cat/Amazon-Kindle-Voyage.htm

i no there no audio on then voyage ( no 3.5 headphone jack or speakers )

im guessing that this is a pre voyage design where some one assumed there was audio . but not sure .

but i assume any headphones will work on old kindle and kindle fire

Last edited by sian; 12-01-2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: need change tiltle to voyage accessorys confusion
Old 12-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #11
sian
Addict

just email mobile fun to ask why "kindle voyage headphones " is a catagory when im sure the kv cant and i assum never can use headphones.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sian View Post
just email mobile fun to ask why "kindle voyage headphones " is a catagory when im sure the kv cant and i assum never can use headphones.
If you look on ebay, you can find many stylus's for use with the Kindle DX, which doesn't have a touch screen.

Some of these sellers of low-value stuff just write whatever they think will sell the item. They know that few will bother to complain for a handful of Pounds or dollars.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:54 PM   #13
sian
Addict

i guess i was so disapointed to find that the usb card reader wouldnt work i thought id make sure amazon new the info i was give last night. let out the "some loon)

the loon bit made me smile thanks
Old 12-02-2014, 12:18 AM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
sain any Headphone will work as long as there is a place on the reader or tablet to plug them in. I uses Kross brand here in the US they run about $5 [American Money] Sound great! I tried the expensive Beats head phones & hear no differences In Fact the Beats I tried are so big they fall off my head!!

Readers a designed to have information delivered to them but the information from them to something else is not possible. Tablets can both Give & receive information. YES there is a Lot of False Advertising going on now a days. In the past people got together & stopped it but now people don't seem to care, So the Stores are getting away with more & more of duping the buyers. So its more Buyer beware! Glad you asked 1st LOL cause if you hadn't I might have...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:36 AM   #15
Ian.M
Connoisseur
Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!Ian.M will blow your mind, man!

Device: Kindle 3 GB 3G
The difference between an e-reader and a tablet is not nearly as clear cut as you seem to think. e.g. there are now a few general purpose Android e-ink tablets on the market, marketed on the basis of their extended battery life.

Many of the e-reader processors are theoretically USB OTG/Host capable, but what's usually missing are the circuits to detect that the host end of an OTG cable (or an OTG =>USB Host A socket adapter) is plugged in and then safely supply power to it. There also wont be any firmware or software support ....

This doesn't mean that it would be impossible to design a card reader for Kindles, but it would certainly need to be a dedicated unit that acted as a host and used the Kindle's USBnetwork device mode for data transfer to an app on the device. That's expensive to develop and is targeting a niche market so IMHO isn't very likely to happen.

OTOH there are pocket WiFi media servers, some with card readers available off the shelf, and getting one of them working with a Kindle is just a matter of client side software so there is no real need for a hardwired solution.
Ian.M is offline   Reply With Quote