Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
letmenburnstars
letmenburnstars began at the beginning.

Device: none
new kobo coming soon

there's a new wifi kobo coming out soon! it should be available for pre-order by the end of this month.
letmenburnstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:23 AM   #2
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Do you have a news article or press release we can read? Understandably, we're likely all very curious and would like more info. Also, is the wifi aspect the only added functionality or upgrade to the new Kobo?

If this wifi Kobo is real, then the original model might very well drop down to $99 USD...
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 02:24 AM   #3
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
http://www.slashgear.com/cool-er-con...ember-0488261/
Fbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:46 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Other articles abound (now that I looked, LOL). http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...wifi-revealed/

It looks like WiFi and touchscreen are the big differentiators. I'm guessing that we will see other changes that will apply to both readers.

One advantage could be OTA updates. I am not sure that I would see this alone as a good enough reason to purchase a new reader. If the new one also had a dictionary, I might. The touchscreen could make that kind of thing possible. Certainly for folks who sometimes read on other devices, the ability to sync them all up OTA would be a good thing.

Mostly though I am glad to see that they are going full steam ahead with eInk. So may non-eInk devices with Kobo store and apps are out there now.

It's interesting that the company making the hardware was rumoured to be out of business, not all that long ago. I wonder what the backstory to that is.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
letmenburnstars
letmenburnstars began at the beginning.

Device: none
i work at a place that sells the kobo in canada.. so that's how i found out!
letmenburnstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Ah, then thanks for the heads-up, Stars. I'm glad also that Kobo's sticking it out in the ereader market.

Touchscreen and wifi. Hmm. If I had only the Kobo, I wouldn't upgrade for those features alone. However, as a new buyer, the new Kobo would definitely capture my interest. Wifi is always convenient, and I feel sometimes that touchscreens in gadgets are dismissed as gimmicks when they can actually prove to be very useful. A wifi and touchscreen Kobo would be very nice indeed.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
They might want to fix the first batch they sold us first.
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I expect that there will be fixes for the older reader at about the same time they announce the new one.One never knows for sure, but Sameer has written to MR users that there are both fixes and new features coming up.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
VKVK
VKVK began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Most importantly, is it going to use the pearl screen, or still vizplex?
VKVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Even if it's Vizplex v1 (vs Pearl v2), that's not necessarily a problem. The original screens -- without a touch layer -- are just fine. Updating the font choice / sizing would be enough to "simulate" an improvement. But ... if it is Pearl ... cool!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
I'm hoping for a Pearl screen. If it has that, I'd upgrade.
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:43 AM   #12
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I cannot see them making inroads at $249 dollars (if it is priced similarly to the Cooler reader).

I wish they'd shoot for a sub 100 dollar 6 inch reader. The initial Kobo hype was what finally hooked me into getting a reader, and my ideal is still a 99 dollar version of the first reader that works a little better.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #13
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModReader View Post
They might want to fix the first batch they sold us first.
Here here! I find it incredibly annoying that they are spending time and resources on a new reader when people who bought the first one still have a myriad of problems. Not the best way to maintain customer loyalty that's for sure.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Darn those new features. Let's develop the heck out of something that feels older and more limited than anything our competitors are currently selling.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #15
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
I sure hope this isn't like the WDTV debacle, where Western Digital stopped firmware updates to the original WDTV as soon as a newer model was released.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote