Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
More Entourage eDGe Stuff - Weight Comparison

Weight comparison

Entourage Edge ~ 3 lbs 3 oz (price ~ $500 US)

HP Elitebook 14" Core i7 ~ 6 lbs 5 oz (price ~ $2,000 US)

Acer Aspire 11.6" Netbook ~ 3 lbs 2 oz (price ~ $300 US)

Astak EZ Reader 6" ~ 14 oz (price ~ $220 US)

Technical, Computer Science, Microsoft Hardcover Book (equivalent in weight/size to a college text book) ~ 4 lbs 7 oz

Physics paper back book ~ 10 oz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02873.JPG
Views:	710
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	46675   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02874.JPG
Views:	709
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	46676   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02875.JPG
Views:	692
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	46677   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02876.JPG
Views:	693
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	46678   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02877.JPG
Views:	726
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	46679   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02878.JPG
Views:	713
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	46680  
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

The more I use the eDGe, the more convinced I am that the primary target of this device is the university student, as advertised. The eDGe is heavier than the average 10.1" netbook and it becomes uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time. If you are looking for an e-reader device that you can carry with you everywhere, that is comfortable to hold, etc, the eDGe is not it. As a tool for students and professionals who want eInk and netbook-like features, the eDGe is a winner. It excels at what it's designed to do. The other thing you have to consider is price. Compared to the Kindle DX, there is just no comparison. The eDGe would take them all except for battery life, portability, weight, and the wide selection of the Amazon Kindle store. If I had to choose between the two, I would select the eDGe without hesitation.

On another note, I will be buy a large screen dedicated e-reader when a good one comes out that supports good PDF features such as zooming, notes, etc. Something considerably lighter than the eDGe. It would be my "grab and go" reader for technical documents that I'd be able to take anywhere. I'd use the eDGe for more advanced reading and as a netbook.
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
Zetaretaculi,

I concur with all of your opinions except the need for another large scale reader. As I have said, I have owned all of the Kindles. The DX was gotten so that I could take pdf textbooks and CutePDF prints with me. I essentially wanted a paperless office. For what was available, it was an adequate solution. Now that I own an eDGe, I would find it to be very poor.

The indexing is as good any desktop pdf reader I have used. I am really astounded by the merging of the annotations and highlights locations in the index. It is rather ingenious and well thought out in its application.

I will probably be supplementing the eDGe with an Alex. I am now spoiled with the use of Android.

Last edited by paulckennedy; 02-27-2010 at 10:54 PM.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
zetareticuli
Addict

Paul, the eDGe is the first large screen reader that I own. I have used the Kindle DX minutes at a time by borrowing from friends who own them. The experience is not the same as owning it yourself. It is possible that if I get a large screen reader, I'd be disappointed now that I have used the eDGe. I'd like to try one, though, even if I end up returning it. I am very satisfied with the eDGe but I would also like to have something else as a quick grab and go I could carry around easily which would be in the ounces range, not pounds.

Paul, have you tried opening a PDF in the LCD rather than the eInk? I wonder if that would work or how hard it would be to implement. It would be fantastic to have the choice to open it on eInk or LCD...

Last edited by zetareticuli; 02-28-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
scoff
Enthusiast
scoff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
Paul, have you tried opening a PDF in the LCD rather than the eInk? I wonder if that would work or how hard it would be to implement. It would be fantastic to have the choice to open it on eInk or LCD...
I remember asking entourage about this, and they said you should be able to do it with docs2go. Is docs2go included on the first-release versions of the eDGe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulckennedy View Post
The indexing is as good any desktop pdf reader I have used. I am really astounded by the merging of the annotations and highlights locations in the index. It is rather ingenious and well thought out in its application.
Can you elaborate a bit about how this works? It sounds like a really useful feature.

Last edited by scoff; 02-28-2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: clarity, new quote
scoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
Entourage eDGe - PDF Review

Here is the review I posted reviewing the PDF capabilities of the eDGe. I started a thread here with that review here.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
mgm1979
Zealot
mgm1979 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage eDGe
The weight of the edge is definitely a recurring theme in early impressions...I think that's a direct result of the nature and context of this forum - mobile ereaders. Id say, considering how much more advanced this device is, the weight makes sense...i mean think about it, if you carried around an ereader and a 10" netbook together, this device will almost always come in lighter...I've accepted this notion and adjusted my pevious expectations.
mgm1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Good point re: mobile users being used to lighter devices, mgm.

This is my first e-reader so I'm coming straight from a Macbook. While the eDGe is heavy, yes, I have nothing lighter to compare it to. So, my first impression isn't so much about how heavy it is but how convenient it is to have the weight more evenly distributed than a laptop. I like that it can stand like a tent, an open book in profile, rest like an open laptop or lie totally flat, and the weight distribution doesn't preclude any position you might want to use it in. I'd rather have something heavier that can stand on its own than something really light that I'd have to hold all the time, but again, this is from someone only coming from a laptop experience.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
X. Trapnel
Enthusiast
X. Trapnel began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad (broken screen! cry), x61t tablet
Thanks so much for these details; this is very important to me. I'm a PhD student who reads a ton of articles / books in PDF, and annotation is very important, so the Edge looks like it might be perfect (I'm also somewhat interested in the Notion Ink pixelqi tablet) ... but weight is a concern. My Lenovo x61t tablet is, in hindsight, too heavy (4.5lbs w/ large battery); my (now broken-screen, cry cry cry) iLiad is wonderfully light at somewhat over 1 lb... aaaargh decisions decisions.
X. Trapnel is offline   Reply With Quote