Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Question Merlin by Mary Stewart

Does anyone please know where I might find and purchase Mary Stewart's Merlin series (The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, The Last Enchantment) preferably as an epub file?

Bearing in mind I am in the UK and I don't have a Kindle! I know you can get these books on Amazon but I'd like to read them on my Sony reader.

Also can anyone recommend any other good ebooks based on the Merlin / King Arthur legends - more in the form of fantasy fiction.

Thanks if you can help.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Amazon seems to have the first book but it's listed as "Mary Stewart: The Crystal Cave by Jennifer Bailey"
http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Stewart-C...tag=inkmesh-20
I downloaded a sample and from what I can remember it seems to be Stewart's book. Do you think someone uploaded a bootleg?
I don't see that anyone else has it.

Other books based on King Arthur would be T.H. White's Once and Future King, Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon, and Arthur Rex by Thomas Berger, The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights by John Steinbeck, The Lost Years of Merlin series by T.A. Barron, and Hawk of May by Gillian Bradshaw.

Last edited by BenG; 12-20-2009 at 05:54 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Other books based on King Arthur would be T.H. White's Once and Future King, Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon, and Arthur Rex by Thomas Berger, The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights by John Steinbeck, The Lost Years of Merlin series by T.A. Barron, and Hawk of May by Gillian Bradshaw.
And, perhaps more peripherally, The Dark is Rising series, by Susan Cooper, and The Fionavar Tapestry, by Guy Gavriel Kay.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Karma to you both for the other suggestions thank you I shall enjoy investigating some different reads.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
A couple of other, slightly off-beat (but wonderfully done) Arthurian novel (at one point in time I was trying to stay up on reading all of them, but then the quality got off) recommendations:

Arthur, King --- Dennis Lee Anderson --- Arthur as a WWII Spitfire pilot --- delightfully well done
Black Horses for the King --- Ann McCaffrey --- an exploration of why so many taverns in England are named for black horses
Excalibur --- Sanders Anne Laubenthal (not Elizabeth Ann Scarborough as I'd originally written ---- my thanks to Slite for the correction) --- the Welsh in pre-Columbus America

and I'll second the suggestions of Susan Cooper's _The Dark is Rising_ pentalogy --- one of my favourite series and Gillian Bradshaw's books.

William

Last edited by WillAdams; 01-08-2010 at 07:47 AM. Reason: correct author
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
You can get all of them on the Darknet but formatting is not perfect. Italics are missing. I am looking forward to purchasing a legal version if we ever get one....
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Amazon seems to have the first book but it's listed as "Mary Stewart: The Crystal Cave by Jennifer Bailey"
http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Stewart-C...tag=inkmesh-20
I downloaded a sample and from what I can remember it seems to be Stewart's book. Do you think someone uploaded a bootleg?
It looks like a bootleg version to me. I rather doubt that Mary Stewart is seeing any of the purchase price.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Mary Stewart's Merlin Series is not legally available in eBook format that I can find.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:05 AM   #9
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
I had no idea Steinbeck had written something about the Arthurian legend!
This goes on my wishlist right now.

Another excellent book on this theme is L'enchanteur by Barjavel, but it's in French and I don't think it has been translated into English.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
A couple of other, slightly off-beat (but wonderfully done) Arthurian novel (at one point in time I was trying to stay up on reading all of them, but then the quality got off) recommendations:

Arthur, King --- Dennis Lee Anderson --- Arthur as a WWII Spitfire pilot --- delightfully well done
Black Horses for the King --- Ann McCaffrey --- an exploration of why so many taverns in England are named for black horses
Excalibur --- Elizabeth Ann Scarborough --- the Welsh in pre-Columbus America

and I'll second the suggestions of Susan Cooper's _The Dark is Rising_ pentalogy --- one of my favourite series and Gillian Bradshaw's books.
Thanks for the alternative 'Arthur' suggestions. Looks interesting!

I'll third 'The dark is rising'. Brilliant series.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:33 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Excalibur --- Elizabeth Ann Scarborough --- the Welsh in pre-Columbus America
Can't find anything on this book. Got a link?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:59 AM   #12
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Can't find anything on this book. Got a link?
I don't think it was Elizabeth Ann Scarborough who wrote that novel, I think it is this he is refering too:

Excalibur by Sanders Anne Laubenthal
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:03 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Thanks, that sounds like it... Too bad there's no ebook version of it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #14
Chewy
Chewy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Found Merlin series by Mary Stewart as ebook

Hi
I no that this is an old thread but i read it the other day when I was looking for the same.
I have since discovered that Apple iBooks have just released the full Merlin series (including the 4th book) for $9.99 AUD called "Legacy".
I use it on my iPad don't no if u can use it on any other forum.
I was very happy with it maybe others might be as well now .
take care
chewy
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:45 AM   #15
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'll join the pile-on for The Dark Is Rising series by Susan Cooper! Brilliant!
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote