Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
ernietd
ernietd began at the beginning.

Device: none
Library books only

Hi, I have a Kindle 1, and love it. But its pretty pricey to buy books all the time. My library does not offer e books, but I wouldn't mind paying NYC, the place I learned to love libraries, to get a card.

I did try to use Igor's script to get the kindle fix, and totally crashed my computer. My computer guy said "when it's a hack its for someone a lot younger than you" Not flattering, but sadly, true.

So, plan B. I want a reader just for the library, It has to have type sizes as big as kindle, I have bad eyes, and be cheap. Since we are talking library books, I don't need much memory.

Also, easy to use...my computer skills are demonstrably lacking.

any ideas?

Thanks
ernietd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernietd View Post
I did try to use Igor's script to get the kindle fix, and totally crashed my computer. My computer guy said "when it's a hack its for someone a lot younger than you" Not flattering, but sadly, true.
How can running a python script "crash" your computer?

Your computer guy sounds a bit condescending to me. Why didn't he show you how to do it properly? Or is he mouse dependent?

Anyway... the other options are a device that supports mobipocket library books such as the CyBook or iLiad or a device that supports Adobe DRM which is currently only the Sony 505 or 700.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Well, ernietd, Welcome to MobileRead.

A piece of advice?

You need a new computer guy.

There is nothing wrong with the scripts, and the remark of hacks being for those younger than you is insulting.

I'm 60, and (with help from members here, granted) found it easy to do.

Unfortunately, we can no longer legally (thanks Amazon!) offer that help. However, if your computer guy knew what he was doing, he would have been able to help you.

Its a simple command line script. Yes, you can too do it!

I wish you better luck next time.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You need a new computer guy.
You said what I was thinking. A good "computer guy" is not one that pushes you out of the way, tells you that you are an idiot and to stick with AOL. He is someone that is able to set up your PC to do what you want it to do and teach you what you need to know.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you are otherwise happy with your Kindle, getting KindleFIX working is going to be much cheaper than buying a new device. Sometimes it takes a while to get things setup correctly, but once you have KindleFIXed one ebook the process will become completely routine.

Most of the excellent instructions in the Visual Kindle Guide have been deleted, even though Amazon only objected to KindlePID (not KindleFIX which is completely legal). However, it still includes Command Prompt Vista/XP/Mac which explains how to open a command window. For Python, I use ActivePython 2.6.1.1 from here. Don't download python 3, because most scripts are not compatible with it yet. Once you get this far, note that most python scripts will return a "usage" message when invoked with no arguments. Just copy the python script (e.g. notkinflefix.py, say) to the same directory as your ebook (e.g. My Documents\My eBooks), open a command window, cd (change directory) to that same directory and issue the command with no arguments
Code:
cd C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX\My Documents\My eBooks
notkindlefix.py
I typically get the directory location for cd by copying it with the mouse from a file window address bar and pasting it into the command window. This should give you the usage message from the script. If you get a usage message, then the odds are you can run the command on an ebook.

Note that many packages also come with a plain text "readme.txt" file explaining their use in a bit more detail than the internal usage message.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If you are otherwise happy with your Kindle, getting KindleFIX working is going to be much cheaper than buying a new device. Sometimes it takes a while to get things setup correctly, but once you have KindleFIXed one ebook the process will become completely routine.

Most of the excellent instructions in the Visual Kindle Guide have been deleted, even though Amazon only objected to KindlePID (not KindleFIX which is completely legal). However, it still includes Command Prompt Vista/XP/Mac which explains how to open a command window. For Python, I use ActivePython 2.6.1.1 from here. Don't download python 3, because most scripts are not compatible with it yet. Once you get this far, note that most python scripts will return a "usage" message when invoked with no arguments. Just copy the python script (e.g. notkinflefix.py, say) to the same directory as your ebook (e.g. My Documents\My eBooks), open a command window, cd (change directory) to that same directory and issue the command with no arguments
Code:
cd C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX\My Documents\My eBooks
notkindlefix.py
I typically get the directory location for cd by copying it with the mouse from a file window address bar and pasting it into the command window. This should give you the usage message from the script. If you get a usage message, then the odds are you can run the command on an ebook.

Note that many packages also come with a plain text "readme.txt" file explaining their use in a bit more detail than the internal usage message.
Although at this moment in time I'm not actively needing to use this, I figure at some point I may have to. So, I've just copy/pasted your reply into a text document and filed it safely away, before someone demands that it get deleted.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote