Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
eInk Screen Variation??

A few months back I got my first PRS-T1 used on ebay. It was in beautiful condition.

I decided to pick up a second, which I got even cheaper, just to root.

I received the second one today and was shocked that the background is whiter and the text blacker.

Was there normal variation between units? Was there some sort of running change at Sony? Is my first one just not right then... and does Sony support these for repair/replace?
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:57 AM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
There is definitely some variation in e-ink screens, although its more noticeable in the lighted readers (more scope for variation in both the light and the screen). Could just be down to a different batch of eink screen, or different production run, or some other manufacturing blip.

There is nothing to repair, and its not faulty so there's no chance of replacement. Never mind the fact that you bought it second hand, and that Sony no longer sell ereaders so no longer support them.

Just use your newly bought PRS-T1 as your go to reader, and experiment with the other one with the not so good screen.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2015, 10:40 PM   #3
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
The not-so-good one pretty much looks like first gen eInk (Kindle 1). I always adjusted the contrast/brightness before starting a new book. The new one doesn't need that.

I was thinking of rooting the less good unit, but unfortunately I already flashed the newest firmware and as far as I can tell that's irreversible unless you know linux stuff.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote