Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #16
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Fortunately, 27-letter words are rare in English. I can imagine it being a far greater problem in languages like German {...}
Here's an long 'word' example from Crystal Dragon by Sharon Lee & Steve Millar which IIRC upset at least one of my e-readers

"Go," Pilot Cantra said calmly; "I'm tracking."
"Yes. You will wish to multiply the final result of section seven by this number, which is a very rough approximation induced by the infinite expansion theory I have settled upon. The number is this: Three-point-one-four-one-five-nine-two-six-five-three-five-eight-nine."
"Three-point-one-four-one-five-nine-two-six-five-three-five-eight-nine," Cantra sang back, fingers dancing across her board.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Here's an long 'word' example from Crystal Dragon by Sharon Lee & Steve Millar which IIRC upset at least one of my e-reders

"Go," Pilot Cantra said calmly; "I'm tracking."
"Yes. You will wish to multiply the final result of section seven by this number, which is a very rough approximation induced by the infinite expansion theory I have settled upon. The number is this: Three-point-one-four-one-five-nine-two-six-five-three-five-eight-nine."
"Three-point-one-four-one-five-nine-two-six-five-three-five-eight-nine," Cantra sang back, fingers dancing across her board.
The Kindle at least has the common sense to break the line at a hyphen (but not at a dash).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #18
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I read that Germans are increasingly using hyphens to separate very long words. It's called the English disease.
It's called the English disease if you spell long words with spaces, as if writing English. Dutch also suffers from this.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #19
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I read that Germans are increasingly using hyphens to separate very long words. It's called the English disease.
It's not due to the English. Blame cell phones.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Yes or no?
Writing in Word I will, as a matter of reflex, insert a soft hyphen (Ctrl+hyphen) if I have a long word at the right edge.

Will this be automatically disregarded by en e-book conversion process? (I hope so). I realize that it won't be problem if I don't insert them but it is infuriatingly ingrained in me, and should I need to print out a manuscript at least it will look acceptable, whereas a line 2/3 its surrounding lines seems like an eyesore to me.
I don't mean to be dense--I really don't--but why don't you simply have hyphenation set "on" and allow the program to do the work? Why are you doing it manually?

If you allow the program to do the work, when you get ready to convert you can simply s&r all "soft hyphens" and remove them. (I'm unsure, having said that, if you can remove the semi-soft "hyhpens" done via CTRL+hyphen the same way, TBH. I haven't used soft-hyphens manually since...lord I don't know when. Not in writing.) Bada-bing. Then the file you send to HTML (or upload as Word at Amazon, whatever method you use) is ready for the recipient program/device to use its own hyphenation programming, i.e., ADE or Kindle devices/software.

And, NO: they won't be ignored if you leave them there. Trust me on that one.

I don't understand why you'd do it by hand. That part eludes me. Why not just let the program do it? I don't think the word-processor still exists that doesn't have a pretty competent hyphenation program. Is there a preference reason?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2014, 08:37 PM   #21
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
The last time I tried it I used automatic hyphenation and they appeared in the middle of words inside lines due to the different margin settings in the Kindle program. Hence I thought that by moving to manually inserting soft hyphens the Kindle publisher would be able to remove them more naturally.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The last time I tried it I used automatic hyphenation and they appeared in the middle of words inside lines due to the different margin settings in the Kindle program. Hence I thought that by moving to manually inserting soft hyphens the Kindle publisher would be able to remove them more naturally.
Kumabjorn:

What version of Word are you using, please?

Hitch
Old 06-30-2014, 08:15 PM   #23
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

2010 and 2013 depending on machine. Compatibility mode.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #24
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
2010 and 2013 depending on machine. Compatibility mode.
How do you make your MOBIs? The only soft-hyphens I've seen become "hard" hyphens (non-optional) are hard hyphens created by something like Abbyy. Are you exporting HTML to a zip, or...?

ETA: Sorry, I see you are asking; I lost the thread for a moment, so to speak. I can't say for certain about "CTRL+-," because I haven't used that in 20 years, but Word-created soft-hyphens for hyphenation purposes at line-ends don't "convert" into hard-dashes/hyphens if the ebook is made via HTML export. I can't say anything beyond that.

You're saying that Word-created line-end hyphens are showing up in a Kindle file? Made how?

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 06-30-2014 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Because I was paying inadequate attention when I typed it the first time, obviously.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #25
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I uploaded the Word document directly to Kindle Publisher. Besides I was thinking of doing ePub versions for the non-Amazon market as well once the 90 Days probation is up.

I've been searching for site of Dos and Don'ts of document Creation for Electronic publishing but haven't really found the kind of reference I'm looking for.

Appreciate your interest and help.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #26
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I uploaded the Word document directly to Kindle Publisher. Besides I was thinking of doing ePub versions for the non-Amazon market as well once the 90 Days probation is up.

I've been searching for site of Dos and Don'ts of document Creation for Electronic publishing but haven't really found the kind of reference I'm looking for.

Appreciate your interest and help.
There's a fundamental PDF for building a book from Word: https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A2MB3WT2D0PTNK

Hopefully, this will help, but I'm really surprised about soft hyphens created by Word showing up in a Kindle file. Technically, there shouldn't be any difference whatsoever between a manually-created or automatically-created soft-hyphen; if one shows up, the other will.

Hitch
Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #27
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Well this was close to two years ago, I believe. So a lot might have happened since then. I remember being irrita- ted at looking on something like that.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:43 PM   #28
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
hyphenation is a thing of the past, like pages
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #29
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
hyphenation is a thing of the past, like pages
Obviously, not for Kumabjorn, who is the OP.

Hitch
Old 07-03-2014, 04:48 AM   #30
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

We were wrong.

Edit: Sorry I seem to make mistakes when trying to embed YT videos.

Watch here

Last edited by Kumabjorn; 07-03-2014 at 04:50 AM.