Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #46
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I'm in the UK and I have a subscription to Asimov's magazine at B&N. I was using Nook for PC to download the epub so I could side-load onto my Kobo; this was the only legitimate way I could to buy this magazine in the UK and read it on a non-Kindle device. But Nook Web does not have any option to download magazine subscriptions that I can find, not even when I use the USA site (which I think is https://mynook.barnesandnoble.com/library.html).

For some reason my library shows up on both the USA and UK sites, but still without any of my FW purchases, which I have given up on.

Back to the main issue--now there does not seem to any legal way to get Asimov's in the UK. It is enough to make me say Aarrrrrrrrr!!!
And don't forget to let the folks at Asimov's know! There really should be a better way to get their magazine!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #47
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I assume you mean for your reader (it's available through Zinio and Kindle).

You could get yourself a cheap Android or iPhone. I wonder if the emulator in the Android development kit could be used?

http://developer.android.com/tools/help/emulator.html

Graham
Good idea...but I borrowed my wife's Android phone, and guess what? Nook for Android says that magazine subscriptions "are not available on this device".
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #48
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
And don't forget to let the folks at Asimov's know! There really should be a better way to get their magazine!
I have already emailed Asimov's twice (no reply) and Kobo, who did reply but only to say that they are not planning to stock the magazine.

I could soon be in the ridiculous situation of having a subscription that I have paid for, but the only way of actually getting the epubs would be by sailing the high seas with Long John Silver and his scurvy shipmates.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #49
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Now this makes me think that it's possible that their intent is to eventually do away with the download button for the US. No proof at all, but it seems really odd their newest online bookstore doesn't allow for downloads to your PC.
I'll admit I've been concerned about this since they rolled out the "Nook on the web" books and moved the "Download" button all the way over to the last choice in the list of choices. The only time it's not there is if the book can't be read by "nook on the web".
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #50
1katie23
Enthusiast
1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Nook Color running CM7, Galaxy Note II
Just picked up 3 books today from B&N and found out about this. Although the books showed up in the Nook for PC App, they were unable to be downloaded. Clicking the download button resulted in an error message. Clicking download on any other book that was not previously downloaded resulted in the same message.

So I opened Nook for Android on my phone. Moved the books to Dropbox and imported them into Calibre. Alf's magic works.

Not to make matters more confusing, just for sh*ts and giggles, I went back to the Nook for PC app later this evening and all but one of the books is able to be downloaded. I have no idea what the heck is going on. For now, I'll pick up my books at Kobo as I prefer epubs.

For those who state they download their B&N books without the PC App, how is this done?
1katie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #51
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1katie23 View Post
Just picked up 3 books today from B&N and found out about this. Although the books showed up in the Nook for PC App, they were unable to be downloaded. Clicking the download button resulted in an error message. Clicking download on any other book that was not previously downloaded resulted in the same message.

So I opened Nook for Android on my phone. Moved the books to Dropbox and imported them into Calibre. Alf's magic works.

Not to make matters more confusing, just for sh*ts and giggles, I went back to the Nook for PC app later this evening and all but one of the books is able to be downloaded. I have no idea what the heck is going on. For now, I'll pick up my books at Kobo as I prefer epubs.

For those who state they download their B&N books without the PC App, how is this done?
I just go to My Nook Library where all the books I've purchased are listed, with a number of options including "Download". Just click on "My NOOK" in the bar across the top. That should take you to the My Nook home page where you sign in to your own account. (If you have cookies active for the B&N site you might already be signed in.) Once you are in "My Library" select "Books" and the list should appear.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #52
1katie23
Enthusiast
1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1katie23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Ken. That worked like a charm. I never knew one that you could download books that way, and two, that they opened in ADE. Hovering the mouse over the book gives you options. If you click on the book itself, it opens in Nook for Web.

Thanks again.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #53
1katie23
Enthusiast

Update: The books will open in ADE, however, there is no permanent copy of the book in My Digital Editions. As a matter of fact, the book is gone as soon as you exit out of ADE.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #54
ShellShock
Wizard

And you only get the download button in Nook for Web for books and not magazine subscriptions.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #55
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Update: The books will open in ADE, however, there is no permanent copy of the book in My Digital Editions. As a matter of fact, the book is gone as soon as you exit out of ADE.
It might be present in a temp file on your computer while ADE is open. If you can figure out which temp file it is in, you can copy it into another folder and work on it from there.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #56
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Boy, all of this makes me really glad I didn't standardize on B&N when I first was looking at ereaders.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #57
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Save file opened in ADE

Quote:
If you have Windows, when you download from BN My Nook library you will be given a choice to save the file or open in ADE or program of your choice. If you select to open in ADE, you will then need to save the file by going to the ADE menu, selecting file, and then copy to library. You can find the file in the My Digital Editions folder.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #58
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
I really can't help but think that this gives even more ammunition to those who argue that buying DRMd books is a bad idea.

Plus it makes B&N look inept beyond belief.

Nook for Web is no substitute for an app where you can download your books. Only a tiny fraction of the online world uses Windows 8. So they've basically cut off the vast majority of their potential readership.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. (Saying it more often makes it more true ).

Last edited by BillSmithBooks; 06-16-2013 at 01:12 PM.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #59
ShellShock
Wizard

Where does Windows 8 come into it?
Old 06-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #60
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
The oddly have come out with "Nook for Windows 8" to use on PCs and tablets. Maybe they figured they had to since tablets come with Windows 8, but I agree, it's ridiculous to not have an app for other Window OSs.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...ws-8/379003757
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote