Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
njf
njf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Voyage (PW2 now deceased)
Can I send from Calibre to the Glo using wifi?

[deleted - MODERAT0R]

Hi from a new Glo owner. I finally decided to go for the Glo over the PW as I couldn't risk the QC issues with the PW and maybe having to follow many PW owners in having to exchange 3 or 4 times before getting one with a good display. I also liked that the Glo is lighter and has more setting options.

Anyway, my question is whether I can send books from and to Calibre to and from the Glo without using a USB cable. I used to own a Kindle keyboard and could use the kindle email address. Is there any way to send with the Glo over wifi etc using Calibre?

I did try a search but did not come up with anything.

TIA

Norm

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-14-2013 at 01:21 PM.
njf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
njf
njf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animalsnjf is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Voyage (PW2 now deceased)
Can I send from Calibre to the Glo using wifi?

I've also asked this in the Kobo forum.

Hi from a new Kobo Glo owner. I finally decided to go for the Glo over the PW as I couldn't risk the QC issues with the PW and maybe having to follow many PW owners in having to exchange 3 or 4 times before getting one with a good display. I also liked that the Glo is lighter and has more setting options.

Anyway, my question is whether I can send books from and to Calibre to and from the Glo without using a USB cable. I used to own a Kindle keyboard and could use the kindle email address. Is there any way to send with the Glo over wifi etc using Calibre?

TIA

Norm
njf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can use calibre server with the glo web browser. You can also have your calibre library in dropbox and use dropbox with your glo's browser.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The Glo does have a web browser, so you would have to have enabled the calibre built in web server, and then enter your PC's IP address and the port into the browser.

For instance, I can browse to http://192.168.2.177:8080 and obtain books that way.

But no; there is no associated eMail address for Kobo devices.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
PeterT's solution (and probably your only WiFi choice) is limited to PULL books from Calibre using the browser.
All else will need to use the USB connection.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You also might like to look at the hack to use Google Drive on the Kobo Touch. I've never tried it myself but this coulld be another idea.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
ciscopixie
Enthusiast
ciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toysciscopixie shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Aura HD, iPhone SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by njf View Post
I've also asked this in the Calibre forum.

Hi from a new Glo owner. I finally decided to go for the Glo over the PW as I couldn't risk the QC issues with the PW and maybe having to follow many PW owners in having to exchange 3 or 4 times before getting one with a good display. I also liked that the Glo is lighter and has more setting options.

TIA

Norm
Hiya! We were talking about this the other day and you might find this useful if you can't get Calibre's content server working
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214767
ciscopixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Here's what to enter in your Glo's browser: http://192.168.1.122:8080/browse and you will then see the calibre interface with different "sorts" such as Newest, Author, Title etc. This works if you are on your home/local wireless. If not use Dropbox as Taming suggests.
NB: The numbers will likely be different for you, just click on the arrow next to your "connect" icon in Calibre to get the drop-down box giving you the correct ip address and Port to use (make sure your content server is "on" first of course!). Use the "content server" info, not the wireless if you are on your local network.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Here's what to enter in your Glo's browser: http://192.168.1.122:8080/browse and you will then see the calibre interface with different "sorts" such as Newest, Author, Title etc. This works if you are on your home/local wireless. If not use Dropbox as Taming suggests.
NB: The numbers will likely be different for you, just click on the arrow next to your "connect" icon in Calibre to get the drop-down box giving you the correct ip address and Port to use (make sure your content server is "on" first of course!). Use the "content server" info, not the wireless if you are on your local network.
I had to use a different port from 8080 due to conflicts with other things on my computer and router. So you may have to set the Calibre server to a different port to get yours working correctly! Also the ip address for calibre will be the address of the computer you are using to run the server...

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
just click on the arrow next to your "connect" icon in Calibre to get the drop-down box giving you the correct ip address and Port to use (make sure your content server is "on" first of course!). Use the "content server" info, not the wireless if you are on your local network.
That's the "easy" way to see what ip address your computer is using ;-)
As JackAstor says, the Port may need to be changed if you can't get the calibre interface on your browser. To do that go to the Preferences menu. Don't have my laptop with me but part of the menu allows you to go into the "send over the net" menu and modify the Port. I personally have mine at 8090 due to a conflict on the default which is 8080.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Cool, I didn’t know this option, and it seemed a grate idea, so I just tried and it worked, thanks guys for teaching me something new.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Threads merged. Double-posting is not allowed.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote