Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
How to get out of a reading slump?

Hi,
Does anyone have ideas as to how to get out of a reading slump? I've been in one for a few months and would like to get back into the habit of reading. I just can't finish a book, sometimes I'm finding it impossible to get into one.

The only idea I've had is to read children's authors, such as Blyton and some classic children's authors, in the hope that the plot orientated easy-reads will somehow help. I loved Blyton's "Mystery" series as a child - these were the first books I read independently, and loved. Currently plodding through "The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters" but can only read a couple of chapters at a sitting.

I'm endlessly watching youtube book vids, but not reading books!

Any ideas would be gratefully received.
Has anyone else ever had this problem? How have you dealt with it?

I hope I've put this in the right part of the forum.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
This kind of slump happens to all avid readers now & then. My cures, in no implied order:

1. Watch lots of trashy TV (re-runs) if available - until you're so sick of empty entertainment, books look good again.

2. Read an old favorite that you almost know by heart - I usually turn to Sherlock Holmes, All Creatures Great & Small, or H2G2.

3. Try reading something totally new to you - a new genre or author.

4. Annoy your cats/dogs/spouse(fill in appropriate critter) until they suggest you go read a book.

5. Treat yourself to a book that you've been wanting for a long time - but putting off b/c of price, size of TBR list, etc.

Hope these help!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Try to find the worst book possible and have a MysteryScienceTheatre3000-esque reading.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
When I hit that situation I find re-reading an old favorite book/series, something I've enjoyed time and time again, helps.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
My entire last year was one big reading slump, it seemed. I made a goal at the end of 2012 to read at least 4 books a month this year, and since I sort of forced myself to do this, I'm getting back in the habit and enjoying it again.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I hit reading slumps every once in a while.

For me, I read something that doesn't take much thought. Pratchett, almost any mystery, reread of books I love.

Mostly I don't worry too much about it. I've got a lot of books on my Kindle and if something doesn't strike my fancy, I try something else and then something else and then something else until it clicks.

Reading should be fun. If you're forcing yourself to read, that ain't fun.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
This kind of slump happens to all avid readers now & then.
They do????????????
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Hi,
Does anyone have ideas as to how to get out of a reading slump? I've been in one for a few months and would like to get back into the habit of reading. I just can't finish a book, sometimes I'm finding it impossible to get into one.

The only idea I've had is to read children's authors, such as Blyton and some classic children's authors, in the hope that the plot orientated easy-reads will somehow help. I loved Blyton's "Mystery" series as a child - these were the first books I read independently, and loved. Currently plodding through "The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters" but can only read a couple of chapters at a sitting.

I'm endlessly watching youtube book vids, but not reading books!

Any ideas would be gratefully received.
Has anyone else ever had this problem? How have you dealt with it?

I hope I've put this in the right part of the forum.
I don't think it's really a slump but just hitting a string of bad books in a row. This happens to me all the time. I agree with the idea of rereading something you liked before.

If you care to say what your preferred genres and favorite authors are, maybe we can recommend something. You just need to find a new book to get excited about.

Last edited by NightBird; 01-25-2013 at 09:20 PM.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I just do other things for awhile until I get bored of them.

I also look into new authors and genres. I was reading nothing but horror and fantasy for ages and would go into slumps quite often. I expanded my tastes into science fiction and a whole new world of possibilities opened up to me.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Here is what I do, I have a opy of my favorite novel on my kindle library standing by and any time I get into one of these things I go read it again and it has never failed me.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm going to throw this out there:

I have thousands of Old Time Radio (OTR) programs. Most are either 1/2 hour or one hour. They predate television, of course, and they also reflect an earlier more innocent period in the U.S. For me, they are wonderful entertainment.

So, why not try one or two, to move you away from the idea of reading, and to move you toward listening.

Then (and if you enjoy these), you can perhaps use them not only as entertainment, but something that may help you to refresh your 'reading batteries'.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I have a different recommendation. You need to stop reading *about* books (that means taking a break from here!), stop downloading new books, stop watching videos about books. If you are always looking for the latest and greatest, it's hard to appreciate what's in front of you. The worst reading slump for me happened when I started working at a bookstore. We were allowed to borrow any book we wanted, and (of course) we were always discussing new books. Suddenly no book I was reading was ever good enough.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I have two remedies:

The first, to borrow from Dr. Malfi, is to act as if. Make yourself read something, every day. Things start to click again eventually. It's like exercising when you don't feel like it; you have to have the ingrained habit to get you through.

Read trash. Late last summer I was tired of everything, it all seemed such a slog. So for a couple of weeks I read absolute junk and it was fabulous. Like eating a pint of ice cream every night. Eventually you want vegetables again.

I realize my exercise metaphor is fighting with my ice cream one; oh, well.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
If you don't feel like reading then don't. Why would you make yourself do something you obviously don't want to, and especially when its matter of entertainment.
Granted, for work people often have to do things they don't want. I have no idea why you'd willingly put yourself through the same for your own pleasure.

Simply, just do what you want, and forget books for the moment. When you feel like reading you will.

And yes I had the problem as well. So when I feel like doing something, I do it. No forcing myself, no mind games, no tricks.That the simplest it can get.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Thank you for the suggestions.
To answer those saying "why bother? Go and do something else if reading isn't fun,". I know that reading IS fun, from my previous experience and I feel lost without it in my life, as though I've been deserted by a much-loved spouse.

To the peeps suggesting that I should read something I've loved before: the Blyton seems to be helping a little, though I think I've lost my "reading stamina" so can't read for long before needing to do something else. Hopefully, this will be overcome by practise.

elemenOP: I think you may have hit the nail on the head as to the cause of this slump. I have far too many books on my ereader, which seems to devalue each one and make it hard to choose between them. I thought that watching vids about books kept reading as part of my life and might rekindle my desire to read. Maybe it's providing a poor substitute.

Dr. Drib: yesterday, I felt a little dizzy, so listened to a badly abridged audiobook of "Pride and Prejudice" lasting all of two hours! And read by Joanna Lumely. It was a Christmas present from a friend who was unaware that I don't like Austen. The abridgement improved Austen's prose imho - I think reading Austen is like wading through glue - so I enjoyed the story, even though hugh chunks were left out. Your OTR progs sound intriguing.

issybird: I suppose Blyton is my ice-cream. You can keep the exercise!

My personal genre preferences are: historical fiction; humour; light romance; classics, but not Austen; classic children's fiction.
I sometimes, though rarely read horror or paranormal novels, and I've tried, but not been able to get into, sci fi.

Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reading slump