Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle firmware 5.8.5.0.1

My Kindle PW2 installed a firmware update (5.8.5.0.1) this morning.

I don't see the new version listed on Amazon's software update page yet. It is probably a bug fix release based on the version number. No obvious visible changes so far.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
My Kindle PW2 installed a firmware update (5.8.5.0.1) this morning.

I don't see the new version listed on Amazon's software update page yet. It is probably a bug fix release based on the version number. No obvious visible changes so far.
5 digits deep into that firmware build....geez
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Now available for download.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200529680
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
rioachim
Enthusiast
rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'rioachim gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: PW2
PW2 got the most updates of any kindle so far, but I would bet that it won't get any 5.9.X

Last edited by rioachim; 10-27-2016 at 11:55 AM.
rioachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
Axanar
Enthusiast
Axanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rioachim View Post
PW2 got the most updates for any kindle so far. I would bet that it won't get any 5.9.X
What ? I hope not ! Amazon should fix their cluttered fragmented GUI mess and release an updated firnware that fixes this issue. If they leave the PW2 the way it is right now then I can assure you that this was the last Kindle I've bought.
Axanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
Stremon
Stremon might easily be mistaken for a TexanStremon might easily be mistaken for a TexanStremon might easily be mistaken for a TexanStremon might easily be mistaken for a TexanStremon might easily be mistaken for a TexanStremon might easily be mistaken for a TexanStremon might easily be mistaken for a TexanStremon might easily be mistaken for a TexanStremon might easily be mistaken for a TexanStremon might easily be mistaken for a TexanStremon might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo glo
I know what changed, now after the update, and reuploading my books, it displays the covers correctly again!
Stremon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #7
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
I noticed that when in airplane mode, I'm no longer being prompted to connect/ignore when adding items to a collection.

I was getting that prompt just before the update.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #8
mjkarma
Enthusiast
mjkarma began at the beginning.

Device: pw3
hi
i wanna update my paper white to latest software . i wanna know if i update my device will jail break remain intact ??? and what should i do after updating my kindle ??
mjkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #9
CalbertAmu
Connoisseur
CalbertAmu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Jailbreak is unaffected by the update. But hacks like screensaver or fonts need to be reinstalled along with Python

Last edited by CalbertAmu; 10-27-2016 at 07:43 PM.
CalbertAmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:13 AM   #10
mjkarma
Enthusiast
mjkarma began at the beginning.

Device: pw3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalbertAmu View Post
Jailbreak is unaffected by the update. But hacks like screensaver or fonts need to be reinstalled along with Python
tnx.
but whats python??how should i install it
mjkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:56 AM   #11
CalbertAmu
Connoisseur
CalbertAmu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474

I don't know what it does, but it's needed to make the ScreenSaver hack work.

You need to download the second and third zip files, and extract.

1. Copy the Update_python_0.14.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3.bin to the MRPACKAGES folder on your kindle, eject, and run Kual>Helper>Install MR Packages.

2. Follow the same procedure as step 2 for Update_linkss_0.24.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3.bin.
CalbertAmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:11 AM   #12
Axanar
Enthusiast
Axanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of itAxanar has read War And Peace ... all of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkarma View Post
but whats python??
Python is a programming language (amongst many other programming languages available). In the past couple of years Python received increasing popularity amongst developers and that increased it's widespread. Specially on systems like Linux / BSD Python found a wide acceptance and slowly replacing other programming languages like e.g. Perl, TCL, LUA and similar. It has pro's and con's.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:28 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Please take discussions of Python, jailbreaking, etc, to the "Kindle Developer's Corner" subforum.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:16 AM   #14
Axanar
Enthusiast

I figured out that the small font issue still exists in the Kindle Shop. I wanted to read some reviews of a book last night and got nearly lost getting eye cancer. The small lines of the writings are barely readable.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:45 PM   #15
bel3atar
Connoisseur
bel3atar began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
My japanese PW2 keeps deleting the bin file. It won't update.
bel3atar is offline   Reply With Quote