Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #31
MisterNo
MisterNo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
The no-refresh mode is very useful for the scrolling applications that don't understand the hardware buttons and/or paginated output (like rootexplorer, 3rd page of homescreen and aarddict)
It will be nice if hberntsen , in the next version of his app, will include also a button for switching to normal refresh mode without going to sony homescreen or reader
MisterNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #32
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
It might be even better to be able to use a gesture or a long press of a hadware key to change modes. Or else the app could have a toggle function without requiring you to click to close the app. You would run the app to switch from one mode to the other.

The ideal solution (but I think it wouldn't be easy to implement) is to copy the behaviour of the Sony Browser to the whole system: mode change if scrolling or zooming is detected and refresh half a second after scrolling/zooming ends.

Another thought: Since if seems possible to change the mode with an apk, would it possible to set refresh mode 3 with an a similar apk?
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #33
hberntsen
hberntsen is no ebook tyro.hberntsen is no ebook tyro.hberntsen is no ebook tyro.hberntsen is no ebook tyro.hberntsen is no ebook tyro.hberntsen is no ebook tyro.hberntsen is no ebook tyro.hberntsen is no ebook tyro.hberntsen is no ebook tyro.hberntsen is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-T1
@MisterNo
I made a new version of the norefreshenabler app from post #16. After you install it, you get 2 apps, one to enable the no-refresh mode and another to restore the default. There is no close button anymore, it closes itself automatically. I tried closing the app immediately but when I do that the screen mode does not change, i added a timer with a 2 second duration and that works on my reader. Let me know if that time is not enough.

@entodoays
As far as I know there is no way to get the current updatemode of the screen, which is required to create a toggle app.

It might be possible to use the code of the webbrowser and implement it into the android framework. Unfortunately, I don't have time for that at the moment. Holding a button to switch modes would be nice indeed. I know you can launch an app by holding the search button, do you know if you can do this with other buttons?

I tried setting the mode to 3 in my app, I did that in the Iconizedlistview.zip in one of my posts earlier in this thread. Updatemode 3 just sets the updatemode of the listview and not the whole screen so that does not work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip norefreshenabler_v2.zip (80.3 KB, 4653 views)

Last edited by hberntsen; 02-07-2012 at 03:00 PM.
hberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #34
eminarcissus
eminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1
tried with firmwire 1.0.03.11140 replaced framwork.jar & framework.odex under recovery mode, boot no problem. But seems no use at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hberntsen View Post
Thank you m3l7d0wN and robyshot.

I've also dug in the framework, webbrowser and pictureviewer and I found something relevant to this topic.

In the webbrowser(WebView):
Code:
    private static final int UPDATE_MODE_A2 = 5;
    private static final int UPDATE_MODE_AUTO = 4;
    private static final int UPDATE_MODE_GC16 = 34;
In the picture viewer(PictureCommonView):
Code:
    public static final int UPDATE_MODE_NOWAIT_A2 = 1061;
    public static final int UPDATE_MODE_NOWAIT_DU = 1;
    public static final int UPDATE_MODE_NOWAIT_GC16 = 34;
    public static final int UPDATE_MODE_WAIT_A2 = 1125;
    public static final int UPDATE_MODE_WAIT_DU = 65;
    public static final int UPDATE_MODE_WAIT_GC16 = 98;
In the framework, view/View
Code:
    public static final int EINK_AUTO_MODE_AUTOMATIC = 16;
    public static final int EINK_AUTO_MODE_MASK = 16;
    public static final int EINK_AUTO_MODE_REGIONAL = 0;
    public static final int EINK_COMBINE_MODE_COMBINE = 128;
    public static final int EINK_COMBINE_MODE_MASK = 128;
    public static final int EINK_COMBINE_MODE_NOCOMBINE = 0;
    public static final int EINK_CONVERT_MODE_CONVERT = 1024;
    public static final int EINK_CONVERT_MODE_MASK = 1024;
    public static final int EINK_CONVERT_MODE_NOCONVERT = 0;
    public static final int EINK_DITHER_MODE_DITHER = 256;
    public static final int EINK_DITHER_MODE_MASK = 256;
    public static final int EINK_DITHER_MODE_NODITHER = 0;
    public static final int EINK_INVERT_MODE_INVERT = 512;
    public static final int EINK_INVERT_MODE_MASK = 512;
    public static final int EINK_INVERT_MODE_NOINVERT = 0;
    public static final int EINK_UPDATE_MODE_FULL = 32;
    public static final int EINK_UPDATE_MODE_MASK = 32;
    public static final int EINK_UPDATE_MODE_PARTIAL = 0;
    public static final int EINK_WAIT_MODE_MASK = 64;
    public static final int EINK_WAIT_MODE_NOWAIT = 0;
    public static final int EINK_WAIT_MODE_WAIT = 64;
    public static final int EINK_WAVEFORM_MODE_ANIM = 5;
    public static final int EINK_WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO = 4;
    public static final int EINK_WAVEFORM_MODE_DU = 1;
    public static final int EINK_WAVEFORM_MODE_GC16 = 2;
    public static final int EINK_WAVEFORM_MODE_GC4 = 3;
    public static final int EINK_WAVEFORM_MODE_INIT = 0;
    public static final int EINK_WAVEFORM_MODE_MASK = 15;
All these constants seem to relate to the updatemode of the screen. I think it is some kind of bitfield, the UPDATE_MODE_WAIT_GC16 is a combination of EINK_WAVEFORM_MODE_GC16 + EINK_WAIT_MODE_WAIT + EINK_UPDATE_MODE_FULL

To try the different modes, I used this tutorial to create an app where i could scroll some images. I edited the EinkListView into it and included the source as an attachment to this post(IconizedListView.zip).

I've tried differend modes, but could not find a mode where the scrolling is as smooth as the 'no-refresh mode' and the screen is greyscale instead of black and white(maybe someone else can?).

I looked around in the framework and I saw that once you call methods like invalidate() without the updatemode argument, the updatemode automatically got set to 4, which makes the screen keep flashing when you scroll. I changed that value to 3 at various placed and that helped! It looks like my changes only affect scrolling things, like adwlauncher or a web page in readitlater. Things like launching an app, pulling down the status bar, a popup still refresh the screen. Maybe the updatemode needs to be changed from 4 to 3 at more places in the code.

I edited the framework.jar/framework.dex with this tutorial. I included my changes/updated framework in framework.rar.

This is a video showing my hack and app from my previous post:
eminarcissus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:44 AM   #35
hberntsen
hberntsen is no ebook tyro.hberntsen is no ebook tyro.hberntsen is no ebook tyro.hberntsen is no ebook tyro.hberntsen is no ebook tyro.hberntsen is no ebook tyro.hberntsen is no ebook tyro.hberntsen is no ebook tyro.hberntsen is no ebook tyro.hberntsen is no ebook tyro.

I changed the files while the prs-t1 was in android, after a reboot I saw the effect immediately.
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #36
eminarcissus
eminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enougheminarcissus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I changed the files while the prs-t1 was in android, after a reboot I saw the effect immediately.
I tried replace framework.odex&framework.jar with root browser,but seems like after I deleted the original one(framework.odex,it will not release its space, so there will be no enough space left for replacing the modified one(framework.odex,so I did it in recovery mode. After reboot I opened RefreshEnabler, it just rolled back to B&W mode rather than grayscale mode.

Is there any mistake I've made?
maybe caused by firmware difference?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #37
eminarcissus

omg....my bad.
I've put incorrect files back into /system/framework folder.
I mistakenly put framework.jar & framework.odex under /frameword(unpacked from framework.rar
after put back the correct file and reboot the device,it just happens magically. Thx very much for your hard work!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #38
hberntsen

Im glad it worked It might be useful for other users that you upload your modded framework files for your firmware version so they do not have to edit their framework files manually.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #39
eminarcissus

Quote:
Im glad it worked It might be useful for other users that you upload your modded framework files for your firmware version so they do not have to edit their framework files manually.
I didn't modified anything yet.There were two pairs of framework.jar&framework.odex under your rar archive, one at 'framework files currently on my device', the other pair under its parent folder.
I didn't realized your "framework files currently on my device' was meant to be folder name at first so I just mistakenly took those files under its parent folder.
It would be better to reupload files need to be replaced but not a whole package at all to avoid such mistake though.
I'd like to post a instruction on how to get it done under recovery mode if it is okay for me to use your file?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #40
hberntsen

Ah ok so you also have firmware version 1.0.00.09010?
Of course you may provide instructions/reupload files, no problem als long as you include my username in your post
Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #41
eminarcissus

Quote:
Ah ok so you also have firmware version 1.0.00.09010?
Of course you may provide instructions/reupload files, no problem als long as you include my username in your post
I've already updated to 1.0.03.11140 with no problem.
I would like to post a blog introduce this device and your patch later and comes with a full instruction on how to do it from start. With your refresh patch, this device is one step left toward perfect. (still looking forward for button listening service though)

P.S.:I've tried to replace these files with adb commands, but without fortune, it will not release the space occupied by framework.odex of 6 more megabyte lol
Old 02-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #42
vortigern
vortigern will become famous soon enoughvortigern will become famous soon enoughvortigern will become famous soon enoughvortigern will become famous soon enoughvortigern will become famous soon enoughvortigern will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminarcissus View Post
P.S.:I've tried to replace these files with adb commands, but without fortune, it will not release the space occupied by framework.odex of 6 more megabyte lol
I also seem to have that problem - there's now a discrepancy between space used on du and dh - about 13megs which is a lot when the disk is so small.

Funnily I also put frameword at some point when compiling!

I've attached my files compiled for firmware 1.0.0.3.11140, but it's the same changes as the other one
Attached Files
File Type: zip framework.zip (2.70 MB, 500 views)
vortigern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:48 AM   #43
eminarcissus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortigern View Post
I also seem to have that problem - there's now a discrepancy between space used on du and dh - about 13megs which is a lot when the disk is so small.

Funnily I also put frameword at some point when compiling!

I've attached my files compiled for firmware 1.0.0.3.11140, but it's the same changes as the other one
Thx a lot dude
Space discrepancy might be caused by the file to be replaced is in use at the time i think, so get it changed under recovery mode might be more safer, but it just get a little bit inconvenient to do it for every time. To get it done by a update pack is the most elegant way I think,but I'm not quite familiar with it, so I will also take a look and maybe give it a shot.

Anyways,really appreciate your brilliant works! (ezPDF seems usable with this patch at the moment. But for pdf stuff I still prefer to read it on iLiad, to say, stay with iLiad's batter life is definitely a torture)
Old 02-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #44
kyb
kyb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1

I think it'll better works, if after removing finger, display will be refreshed. As in browser. How do that?
kyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #45
kyb
kyb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
Is it possible to join 2 shortcuts in 1?
If activated no-refresh mode - shortcut function is activate default refresh mode and vice versa.
kyb is offline   Reply With Quote