Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #151
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I have updated the link in the fist post to the Firmware 1.7. It is 20120221 now.
Wonderful, can't wait to try it, but... I get a 404 following your link.

Cheers!
CJ

EDIT: Working now, thanks.

Last edited by CJY; 02-21-2012 at 06:45 AM.
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #152
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJY View Post
Wonderful, can't wait to try it, but... I get a 404 following your link.

Cheers!
CJ

EDIT: Working now, thanks.
You are welcome
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #153
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Can somebody please verify what I think is a serious bug in the latest two firmware versions?

Using headphones give me this result:

- Lowering the volume to the first bar (i.e. lowest setting) gives - predictably - almost no sound;
- but raising the volume just one bar (i.e. the second lowest setting) ups the volume almost explosively - in fact, so high that it is unbearable to use the headphones!

- Higher settings work linearly - but given the jump at bar no. two, all levels way (!) too high to be usable.

The effect is there with the speaker too, though seemingly not as pronounced as with the headphones.

This did not happen for me with f/w 1.6, so it does not seem to be hardware related.

Somewhat irritating, as this in effect stops me from enjoying music with my reading at all. As is, it is unusable.

On another note, please be aware that upgrading the f/w will delete whatever start-pages you had added before. (Not bookmarks, though, they remain intact.)
No biggie, but good to be aware.

Cheers!
CJ
Old 02-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #154
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
@since I never tried the music player functionality of m92 I did not notice the problem in the past.
The problem was forwarded to ONYX.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #155
CJY
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
@since I never tried the music player functionality of m92 I did not notice the problem in the past.
The problem was forwarded to ONYX.
Thank you very much, most kind of you to take care of this.

Cheers!
CJ
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #156
mishimayuki
mishimayuki began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92
Onyx M92

Anybody missing a proper email client?
mishimayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:49 AM   #157
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Hi Booxtor,
I installed new firmware, please not that the connection to ad-hoc network has not been fixed (it still getting stuck at Connecting... when I try to connect it to Nokia N8 running JoikuSpot). I will try tonight to see if it connects to an ad-hoc network from my laptop and I think I can also test with tethering from Android phone. Also, the issue I reported with not reading this pdf (and other similar ones) is still there.

What I like is that keyboard is much faster in web browser, so web browsing is actually usable. It would be nice to see a progress bar when page is loading or some other feedback indication and also error message when page cannot be loaded. And what is very annoying is that when I go to Access point window, it automatically connects to the default network. Logic should be if I go to that page, I want to change access point, not just reconnect to current network, so I have to click really fast on what network I want to choose.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #158
thorgal
thorgal began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3, Onyx M92
Well, after updating to 20120221 i see that the changing layout bug is fixed. However there are still some problems with the turning page button. If you use the area zoom or the two-points zoom the turning page button will not turn page, instead it will scroll from the top to the bottom of the current page but without changing page, not even pulling it several times. So the only way to change pages is to use the bottom bar with the pencil. This does no happen using the hide margin zooming or the other standard zooming tools though.

Last edited by thorgal; 02-22-2012 at 08:57 AM.
thorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #159
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishimayuki View Post
Anybody missing a proper email client?
An email client should be the least of concerns given all the unsolved mysteries ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #160
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Wiki condensation point

Hi folks!

Since this thread is getting longer and longer, and since mobileread features a wiki which might be better suited to keep an overview about the state of affairs, I took the time and tried to summarize
- the wishlist
- pointers to 3rd party ports
I stumbled across reading this thread.

I hope you'll take it as a condensation point and continue to update them (the M92 info page was not even linked to the official ebook reader device list before - shame )

Anyhow, please consider the links added in the 'Related Wiki links section' :
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boox_M92

W.r.t. the feature wishlist, I definitely second
- that switching between tools, alongside zooming and panning must be streamlined (going through a menu to the margin-removal zoom to read ; going through the menu to a different zoom mode to scribble on the margins, because panning is not enabled, going through the menu to select panning ; going through the menu to select scribble ; going through the menu to margin-removal zoom to continue reading <- reflects my wished workflow, but contains way to lot menu navigation ... enabling joystick-based panning in the margin-zoom mode and allowing for user-defined long-button-presses/menu - or perhaps a 10-most-frequently-used-items start section in the menu(?) might greatly facilitate things)
- that a 2 column mode (or at least a quarter-page-zoom-mode allowing to flip not directly between pages, but between quarters - e.g., with the joystick) is missing
- that there should be a power management option to power down only after a long period in time (several hours), while suspending the device after a moderate time (tens of minutes). Maybe this could be user configurable?
- that usb host mode support would be a nice-to-fiddle-around (low priority bonus) feature :P (e.g., connecting keyboards might actually come in handy, if someone ever ports a mail application... or connecting 3G sticks for newsletter reading on the road,... )

I'd like to add that sometimes the choice of different colors in scribbling annotations is a very useful feature (e.g., annotating detected errors in red, ideas in green, and questions/remarks in blue).
This is a feature I liked on my old Iliad device (on the reader, the colors are obviously grayscale, but the merging applications allowed for a color assignment)
Odd enough, I saw in a set of documents I used for testing of my (newly aquired) M92 that annotations in one document were black - in the other: green... can someone explain this behaviour?

Cheers!

Last edited by kodomo; 02-22-2012 at 02:24 PM.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #161
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
I tried to connect to Android phone via Wi-Fi and it worked. For some reason, I cannot connect to Wi-Fi network started by Symbian phone (I have tried with both Nokia N8 and E7 with JoikuSpot and EZSpot), it just gets stuck in Connecting... state.

PS: Actually, IT CANNOT CONNECT TO AD-HOC NETWORK, is it that difficult to enable that on the wireless driver? Android creates infrastructure access point, not ad-hoc, so that why I can get internet from Android phone.

Last edited by catharsis; 02-22-2012 at 06:08 PM.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #162
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
- that switching between tools, alongside zooming and panning must be streamlined (going through a menu to the margin-removal zoom to read ; going through the menu to a different zoom mode to scribble on the margins, because panning is not enabled, going through the menu to select panning ; going through the menu to select scribble ; going through the menu to margin-removal zoom to continue reading <- reflects my wished workflow, but contains way to lot menu navigation ... enabling joystick-based panning in the margin-zoom mode and allowing for user-defined long-button-presses/menu - or perhaps a 10-most-frequently-used-items start section in the menu(?) might greatly facilitate things)
Just installed 1.7 and realized that panning by joystick is now enabled .
That removes quite some menu navigation already, and the 'Menu-button, one(!) Pen-click' sequence to switch between scribbling and erasing doesn't feel too cumbersome for now (long-menu-button pressing to switch between two last options would still be convenient, though)

Another thought that crossed my mind when I thought about panning in margin-removal-zoom was that joystick panning would be most useful, if it effectively showed/hid respective margins by 1 operation of the joystick.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #163
corgorav
corgorav began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi folks, I was wondering if there's any realistic chance that the people at Onyx might add support for CBR/CBZ in the future for M92?
corgorav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #164
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
It is more question to developers of Cool Reader, FBReader and Pdf Reader. Onyx doesn't develop readers, only uses what is freely available in public domain.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #165
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Onyx doesn't develop readers, only uses what is freely available in public domain.
Is this a natural law or what exactly are trying to say with this statement?
As a customer/user I don't care who develops the software. Without proper software you cannot expect to sell hardware.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote