Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Loading Books to Sony Reader

Is the Sony software required to load books (either DRM or non-DRM) to the USB only Sony Readers?
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
You don't need the Sony software to load non-DRM books to the USB-only Sony Reader.

I don't load DRM'd books to my Reader (or if I do, I do use the Sony software). But I've seen people say here over and over you don't need the Sony software if you aren't going to buy books from Sony. So I think that means you can use Adobe Digital Editions to send DRM'd books directly to your reader.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
If your books don't have DRM, you don't even need ADE. You can attach the reader to your computer via USB and drag and drop the files to the Readers.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Ok, thanks. I'm considering getting one of the USB Readers but don't want a reader that requires specific software. Since the release of the new Sony Readers, I have been thinking that they might be the best line if you don't want access to Amazon's bookstore.

Last edited by MR. Pockets; 11-20-2010 at 09:39 PM.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:13 AM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
Ok, thanks. I'm considering getting one of the USB Readers but don't want a reader that requires specific software. Since the release of the new Sony Readers, I have been thinking that they might be the best line if you don't want access Amazon's bookstore.
I'd agree with that. Sony Readers show up like another drive on your computer.

Same is true of other readers; Cybook by Bookeen comes to mind. You might want to poke around other forums to see if another device suits you better.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 02:46 AM   #6
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
Is the Sony software required to load books (either DRM or non-DRM) to the USB only Sony Readers?
I haven't had to use the Sony Reader Software (SRS) with my ereader except when loading ebooks that I purchased from the Sony Ebook Store. Due to my frustration with the software I searched for alternative and (based on the recommendations in these forums) found Calibre.

I've found Calibre a vast improvement over the SRS. It has many features not available in the SRS, including the ability to convert ebooks from one format to another. I now use it for all of my ebook management and to load ebooks on my Sony Reader's internal memory and on the memory card.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:02 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Like Solitaire, Mr Pockets, I'd recommend the excellent Calibre library software. I use a Sony but haven't touched Sony software in two years -- everything I have is handled by Calibre. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:19 AM   #8
4-eyes
Enthusiast
4-eyes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-300
I've had a Sony eReader for over 2 years now and have never even installed the Sony software. I've always used Calibre.
4-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #9
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Device: PRS-650
I just got my reader for few days and followed good fellows' advice here to use calibre instead. You will only need sony software to access sony's ebook store, of course. Even then you can still use calibre for everything else.

I am a fan of reasonably priced sony's product but I can say nothing worthwhile about their softwares.
lack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I use Sony Reader Software only. 4 years. Very easy to use and intuitive for uploading ebooks to Sony ebook reader. Although, uploading is the only function of the s/w I am using.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I'd agree with that. Sony Readers show up like another drive on your computer.
Mine actually appears as two drives - the reader and the "workings"(?).

Lack:

If you get a card from the Philadelphia Library to download books from them via Overdrive, you will need
to install (though not necessarily use) Sony Library, in addition to Adobe.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I use Reader library to load content onto my Reader and it's worked very well for that. Also it's very easy to sort out collections as well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #13
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
If you get a card from the Philadelphia Library to download books from them via Overdrive, you will need
to install (though not necessarily use) Sony Library, in addition to Adobe.
I see. So DRM uses will need Adobe Digital Editions and Sony Library registration (device key that comes with the package?). Thank you, I'll keep that in mind.
lack is offline   Reply With Quote