Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #1
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Occasional Freeze / Crash

I was just saying on another thread here that my family has three PRS-T1's and never found them unstable at all.

That's apparently no longer true. The newest, purchased on ebay new-in-box more than a month or two ago has been having issues all of a sudden.

It's used heavily and twice in the last week, just reading a book, it has started flashing back and forth between the shutdown circle arrows thing and a blank screen.

The only way to stop it has been to hit the recessed reset button, which stops the flashing, and then hitting the power button to restart the unit.

I know 'new' is relative, but it was as close to new as you can probably get. Any advice? I've never seen this behavior on out two older previously owned units.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Welcome to the joys of owning a T1.

Make sure you've upgraded the reader to the latest version of the firmware. I also found turning the reader off after loading new books on to it helped a little. Also clearing the cache occasionally.

Also, have a look at this thread, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180060. I think there's at least one other thread on this topic or similar, but I couldn't find it.

Hope this helps.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiTee View Post
Welcome to the joys of owning a T1.

Make sure you've upgraded the reader to the latest version of the firmware. I also found turning the reader off after loading new books on to it helped a little. Also clearing the cache occasionally.

Also, have a look at this thread, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180060. I think there's at least one other thread on this topic or similar, but I couldn't find it.

Hope this helps.
Yeah, I couldn't find any threads. How do you 'clean the cache'?

Edit: Read the thread you linked. Someone suggested it's a logging on to network issue, but this reader (like someone else's on the thread) has the wifi disabled.

One suggestions (rejected by others) was a dirty screen. It actually sounds reasonable. Some sort of key rollover issue. The reader in question has the dirtiest screen of the three (possibly never cleaned since purchase).

If multiple instance of dirt registered it could theoretically overload the multitouch of the screen when a page turn is added.

Dunno. Cleaned the screen anyway.

Last edited by DoctorM; 08-03-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I bought a T1 off of Ebay a couple of months ago. I have to use the reset button on it at least once a week because it's frozen up and won't do anything. I figure it's just one of the quirks of the unit.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:35 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Evolve to a not quite so ancient T2 ? Or even - shock, horror - a T3 ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:37 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

.. or bite the bullet and get a modern Carta screen e reader. Trust me, once you sample one you will never lust for a T1 again.I speak as an ex owner.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:27 AM   #7
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
None of my Sonies does this.
From reading in this forum, the culprit is almost exclusively a badly formatted ePub.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:01 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
None of my Sonies does this.
From reading in this forum, the culprit is almost exclusively a badly formatted ePub.
And/or the .db file on the device is corrupt - that happened to me when I owned a sony. I had to go in via windows + USB to prose device folders and delete the culprit; resetting device was not clearing it
I forget the exact name & location but there shoudl only be the one database .db file on there.
NB you will all lose notes, annotations, last page read .. if you wipe that.. device will build a clean empty one on restart.

I also had an instance of the "badly formatted" book. the epub code was valid : it passed flightcheck + worked in sigil, but there was one very complex line with lots of embedded styles which the reader could not digest: it would choke /crash on that page until I manually simplified it.

as I recall - it has been a while- the quick way to test a suspect book is to open it on PC in ADE ( 1.7). if it works there it should work on sony, if ADE crashes, Sony will also crash.

Last edited by cybmole; 08-05-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #9
DoctorM
Groupie

@cybvole - Deleted all .db files on unit as well as cleaning the screen a when you suggested it... unit crashed again a day or two later.
I don't understand why just the one Reader.

That book has been removed, will see if it happens again.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #10
DoctorM
Groupie

Had several more lock ups.
Working on the theory that the problem was that a really large font was being used (second from largest). Might be a combo of that (and maybe the book) causing problems reflowing the text(?)

Font was set smaller and haven't had a crash in a week.
I'm curious if anyone else having this problem was using a particularly large font setting.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #11
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I almost always use the second largest or largest font. I just can't read anything much smaller these days.

Like I said before, I have to do the soft reset once or twice a week but my old Sony was that way as well.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #12
DoctorM
Groupie

Interesting. I personally use the middle sized font and have no lock ups. The reader that freezes all the time is my dad's and like I said he was using the second from the largest font. With the third from largest it seems to have stopped.

Now that's only two people finding this. A couple more and I think we've found the problem.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #13
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Depending on the book, I use either the smallest or next-to-smallest font. I don't get the circling arrows or have to do a reset very often. It does happen once in a while but not on a regular basis.

I do have fairly frequent temporary lockups when looking up a word in the dictionary or changing dictionaries - this problem just started in the last few months. However these do not cause the circling arrows and if I wait a little while (maybe 30 - 60 seconds) it will start working again.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote