Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
alaskagrown
alaskagrown began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablets with Moon+reader and Aldiko
Please help: Moon+ Reader Pro's image zoom

I MUST be missing something. I am so frustrated with Moon+ Reader right now. I use a lot of books with small pictures in line with text: Harry Potter, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc. Whenever a picture is large enough to cover most of a screen, trying to turn the page results in MoonReader popping up a round blue zoom button. Tapping the screen again takes me SOMEWHERE IN THE TWILIGHT ZONE, which might be my ... gallery? or the image viewer in moon reader. It looks like a gallery; black background with all the images in the book lined up at the bottom. Getting out of it requires a lot of backing up.

It is SO frustrating, and some of the kids that use my devices just aren't savvy enough to figure out what to do.

Can I turn off the image viewer? Do I just have to change the page turning controls? It's pretty annoying to set the controls to buttons, because my motorola xoom doesn't really have any buttons to speak of.

Thanks for any help in advance!
alaskagrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
alaskagrown

Is anyone having the same problem? If it's only me, maybe it's a device issue...
Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
You aren't alone. I love Moon Reader, but it does have some quirks, and this is one of them. I read a lot of historical fiction and biography with maps, and have yet to figure out how to get the zoom to work.

The developer is very nice and responsive, so you might want to email him. I will as well.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
alaskagrown

Thanks for that advice! I'll write him.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
RobFreundlich
Connoisseur
RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet with Calibre Companion and Moon+ Reader Pro
Sorry to revive a moribund thread, but was there any resolution on this? I'm having the same kinds of zooming problems and haven't found a solution, even in the latest update.
RobFreundlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFreundlich View Post
Sorry to revive a moribund thread, but was there any resolution on this? I'm having the same kinds of zooming problems and haven't found a solution, even in the latest update.
What kind of zooming problems are you having? It's been quite a while back since tapping on a picture gives a zoom button.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
RobFreundlich
Connoisseur
RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I tap on a picture, I don't get a zoom button. If I long-press a picture, I get taken to a gallery of all pictures in the book. From there, I can swipe from image to image and pinch zoom each one. However, it always puts me on the first image in the book, not the one I was long-pressing.

This is on Moon+ Reader Pro 2.6.8 on a Kindle Fire HDX.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #8
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When I tap on a picture, I don't get a zoom button. If I long-press a picture, I get taken to a gallery of all pictures in the book. From there, I can swipe from image to image and pinch zoom each one. However, it always puts me on the first image in the book, not the one I was long-pressing.

This is on Moon+ Reader Pro 2.6.8 on a Kindle Fire HDX.
I don't have that behavior on my Nexus 7. It brings up whatever image I long press on and from there I can go thru all the images. After I go thru all the images it brings me back to the image I started from. Maybe it's a problem with a specific book?
Old 11-07-2014, 09:43 PM   #9
RobFreundlich
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I don't have that behavior on my Nexus 7. It brings up whatever image I long press on and from there I can go thru all the images. After I go thru all the images it brings me back to the image I started from. Maybe it's a problem with a specific book?
Nope. This happens on all my books. But the real problem in my opinion is that it goes into the gallery thing at all - I just want to zoom the image I'm looking at, not browse all images in the book.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #10
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Nope. This happens on all my books. But the real problem in my opinion is that it goes into the gallery thing at all - I just want to zoom the image I'm looking at, not browse all images in the book.
If I only want to look at the one image, I just use the back button to get back to the book.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:46 AM   #11
RobFreundlich
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
If I only want to look at the one image, I just use the back button to get back to the book.
I wouldn't mind doing that, if the long press took me to my image. But it always takes me to the first image in the book. Since the book is often a newspaper with dozens of images, that can be a real pain.

Sounds like I've hit a bug, so I'll email the dev. Thanks, PL, I wouldn't have gotten this far without your info!
Old 01-16-2015, 10:13 AM   #12
CapZap
Old and in the way
CapZap began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I don't get a zoom button. So far as I can tell, Moon+ doesn't have a zoom function. If it's there, I can't activate it. This is the only niggling problem I have with Moon+ and I love the program otherwise. I've tried every reader out there and many have easy to use picture viewers. Yes, the Moon+ author is very responsive but I've never approached him on this issue.
CapZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #13
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Don't think that there is a zoom button with the long press on an image as it "automatically" zooms to full screen. BUT it looks to me like the zooming depends on the image as to its resolution & format as in jpg or png.

Both Aldiko & Mantano zooms the image automatically but don't believe that is always wanted; Moon+ is able to display an image with the associated text on the same page/screen which may be more desirable (have encountered the situation on a light novel). So what is more desirable all the time?

I was able to both do the zoom with the long press on the Nexus 7, Galaxy Pro Tab 8.4 & Kindle fire hdx 8.9. However I also was not able to zoom on the same tablets on another earlier volume of the light novel; the light novel volumes were encoded into epub by different translators.

Haven't looked at the web site to see what I can see of image's format, etc.
But a blanket statement that Moon+ Reader 3.03 doesn't zoom is in error without knowing how the image is presented. Perhaps the author my implement another option to whether to automatically zoom which also mean may be adding an additional "page"/screen when reading. Looks to me like a judgement call as the automatic zoom can change the how the text is being displayed on the previous & following screen.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:57 PM   #14
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Alright, checked the website & couldn't find anything that I can detect on why the difference; had thought it was the number of pixels as in 600x600 vs 300x300; was shot down when looking at another volume that worked at the 300x300 & the images I checked were all jpeg.

However, found that the zoom feature can be activated in the "basic" zoom mode(??). On the long press, the image remained the same size with a black background (in my case like "night" reading) BUT I can then zoom by just using "multiple" touch like enlarging text! I just used 2 fingers or thumb & 1 finger to make the image larger; to get back to "text mode" I would have to do the "goback" key. Oh this worked on the volume that didn't do the long press zoom but after I did the 2 finger zoom, 1 image did do the long press zoom!(??!!); wouldn't know if this affected the rest of the reading as this was just a check & the long press zoom was a surprise.

Still doesn't say why the long press zoom worked on some images & not on others......
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #15
RobFreundlich
Connoisseur

crane3 - thanks for all of the research you're putting into this!

Have you tried in a book that has multiple images? What I'm seeing is that when I have a book (usually in MOBI format) with multiple images (as far as I can tell, any size, any format), if I long-press an image, I am always taken to what I call the "gallery" - an area in which I am shown the first image in the book against a black background, with a series of thumbnails along the bottom. I can navigate through that gallery by swiping or selecting a thumbnail, and for a given image I can zoom using multi-touch as you described.

The gallery always starts me on the first image in the book, not the one I long-pressed on.

This sounds a lot like what you called the "basic" zoom mode, but from your description, it seems like you may have had only one image in the book.

I see this behavior on both my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 and my Galaxy Note 2.