update for Goodreads metadata

thanks for the quick plug-in update .... it works
eldanganan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #182
maniattico
maniattico began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for Android
Hi.

Thank you for the work. However, half of my library are not found by goodreads.

One of that is the following (for example):

calibre, version 0.9.39
ERROR: No se encontraron coincidencias: <p>No se pudo encontrar ningún libro que coincidiera con su búsqueda. Inténtelo haciendo la búsqueda <b>menos específica</b>. por ejemplo, use sólo el apellido del autor y una sola palabra del título.<p>Para ver el registro completo, pulse «Mostrar detalles».

Running identify query with parameters:
{u'authors': [u'John Connolly'], u'identifiers': {}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'Todo Lo Que Muere'}
Using plugins: Goodreads
The log from individual plugins is below

****************************** Goodreads ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Goodreads took 1.07399988174
Querying: http://www.goodreads.com/search?sear...e=books&search[query]=Todo+Lo+Que+Muere+John+Connolly
Rejecting as not close enough match: Every Dead Thing (Charlie Parker, #1) [u'John Connolly']
No matches found with query: u'http://www.goodreads.com/search?search_type=books&search[query]=Todo+Lo+Que+Muere+John+Connolly'

************************************************** ******************************
The identify phase took 1.22 seconds
The longest time (1.074000) was taken by: Goodreads
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the worldcat.org service
We have 0 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds

If I copy the URL and put it on a browser, goodreads match a result:

http://www.goodreads.com/search?search_type=books&search[query]=Todo+Lo+Que+Muere+John+Connolly

Thank you in advanced.

Regards
maniattico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #183
Tijntje
Tijntje began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Hi could you add support for Dutch as language?
Now all my imported books are mapped as English even if I uncheck the Language checkbox. (It seems it always sets the language)

A Goodreads Dutch book is http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3110295
Tijntje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #184
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hi Tijntje,

I am waiting for some info on Kovid as to what the right language code is to translate it to. I had just copied some code from the Amazon plugin which does not happen to support Dutch.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #185
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniattico View Post
Hi.

Thank you for the work. However, half of my library are not found by goodreads.

One of that is the following (for example):

calibre, version 0.9.39
ERROR: No se encontraron coincidencias: <p>No se pudo encontrar ningún libro que coincidiera con su búsqueda. Inténtelo haciendo la búsqueda <b>menos específica</b>. por ejemplo, use sólo el apellido del autor y una sola palabra del título.<p>Para ver el registro completo, pulse «Mostrar detalles».

Running identify query with parameters:
{u'authors': [u'John Connolly'], u'identifiers': {}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'Todo Lo Que Muere'}
Using plugins: Goodreads
The log from individual plugins is below

****************************** Goodreads ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Goodreads took 1.07399988174
Querying: http://www.goodreads.com/search?sear...e=books&search[query]=Todo+Lo+Que+Muere+John+Connolly
Rejecting as not close enough match: Every Dead Thing (Charlie Parker, #1) [u'John Connolly']
No matches found with query: u'http://www.goodreads.com/search?search_type=books&search[query]=Todo+Lo+Que+Muere+John+Connolly'

************************************************** ******************************
The identify phase took 1.22 seconds
The longest time (1.074000) was taken by: Goodreads
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the worldcat.org service
We have 0 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds

If I copy the URL and put it on a browser, goodreads match a result:

http://www.goodreads.com/search?sear...e=books&search[query]=Todo+Lo+Que+Muere+John+Connolly

Thank you in advanced.

Regards
The issue is the goodreads search engine, or at least the way I am calling it anyways. If you put that URL in your browser you will see that it only returns one match (or at least it does for me) and as per the log output it is for the english title of the book.

The plugin has logic within it that compares the title of the book in the search result with the title you are searching for and rejects it if not close enough, which is what you are seeing in the log output. This logic has to be in there because otherwise the search engine can give you results for "related" books instead which are not the book you are after and your library would be full of mismatched metadata for the wrong book.

If you want to get a match from Goodreads for foreign language books, then you need to get the ISBN for the book (either using the Extract ISBN plugin or putting it in via other means such as from metadata or manually). The search process will then bypass the title match check within the plugin, as it assumes a match on ISBN will be for the right book.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #186
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.1.6 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Support Dutch language
Old 08-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #187
Tijntje
Tijntje began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Changes in this release:
  • Support Dutch language
Many, many thanks.
Tijntje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:32 AM   #188
Huisie
Enthusiast
Huisie doesn't litterHuisie doesn't litter

Device: none
Hi, Kiwidude, and thanks for this plugin (and all the others).

This plugin, along with DoctorOhh's suggestion (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=15) has done more for my Library Management than anything else.

With the release of Calibre 1.0, I decided on a fresh start with a brand-spanking new setup of Calibre. This included really getting stuck into this plugin's Goodreads genres to tags mapping.

I downloaded DedTV's "genreslistnested" text file (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=125) and exported it into Excel to modify it.
That's all done and there are 888 genres...

Is it possible to convert the Excel file into .json format? I looked at a few converters, but none seemed up to the job. Also, would placing this entire list into the plugin cause it to slow down markedly?

P.S. >> When I first started using this plugin, I thought it would map all Goodreads genres to tags and modify those in the list. Instead, it only maps those genres that are in the list, excluding all others. Is this the correct behaviour?
Huisie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #189
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisie View Post
P.S. >> When I first started using this plugin, I thought it would map all Goodreads genres to tags and modify those in the list. Instead, it only maps those genres that are in the list, excluding all others. Is this the correct behaviour?
This is correct it only maps what you tell it to. By default the map is filled in with about 60 tags. If you get your json to map to a large list as you indicated, post it here.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #190
Huisie
Enthusiast

Hi, DoctorOhh - I see you retired the dwanthy(?) moniker.

Thanks for the confirmation on my P.S.
I'll be sure to post my .json file here. Hopefully, someone has an idea how to convert Excel/CSV to .json, which would allow posting a default list which folks could manipulate to their heart's content.

Thanks also for your goodreads.json file and accompanying advice - without that, I would never have been able to wrestle my tags into shape.
Using just Goodreads for tags is so much better than the haphazard, scatter-gun approach to tags employed by Google, Amazon, et al.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #191
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
There is another problem with the books with long author lists and the more/less links.

Most often the first author after the more... link on GR is losing the first two letters of the name, and the last author is losing the last two of theirs.

For instance: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...asters-of-noir
Art Crockett becomes T Crockett and Stuart Friedman becomes Stuart Friedm

Also happens if there are more authors than two after the more link, still the first and last author are wrong:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7158136
David L. Robbins -> Vid L. Robbins & Pir Rothenberg -> Pir Rothenbe

Then I have these weird outliers, which appear to be doing completely their own thing:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11684515
Jeremy Shipp becomes Remy Shipp, but Simon Wood's name isn't retrieved at all.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6615598
C.J. Henderson becomes J. Henderson...less
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #192
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.1.7 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Another fix for more.../less... on authors
Old 08-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #193
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
Sure can't beat your turnaround time, thanks a ton

(This is Kovid's fault, he made the virtual libraries so much simpler and more fun to play with, I finally gathered all my short fiction anthologies into one, or I think I'd have never noticed the problem!)
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #194
Huisie
Enthusiast

As mentioned in my earlier post, I downloaded DedTV's Goodreads genres list (the nested version).

I have mapped the genres to tags and am adding them here, as requested by DoctorOhh. I have also tweaked them to my preferences, so the final result may not please all, but at least it is a fairly comprehensive list of current genres.

STANDARD MAPPING

With "genre > sub-genre" listings, I have mostly separated them with commas. For example:
"Academic > Academia" is mapped to "Academic, Academia"

FICTION
Fiction and its sub-genres were listed as "Fiction > sub-genre". For example:
"Fiction > Action", "Fiction > Speculative Fiction", etc.
When downloading metadata, these weren't picked up and applied. When I removed the "Fiction > " part, they were correctly mapped. For example:
"Fiction > Action" was changed to "Action", "Fiction > Speculative Fiction" was changed to "Speculative Fiction", etc.
When mapping these, I chose to keep the "Fiction" tag, so:
"Fiction > Action" was changed to "Action" with "Action, Fiction" as the mapped tags.

NON-FICTION

With "Non-Fiction" and its sub-genres I did it a little differently. I did as above with "Fiction" for the genres:
"Non-Fiction > Religion" was changed to "Religion", etc.
As with "Fiction", the sub-genres were then correctly applied when downloading metadata. However, I found quite a few fiction works tagged with "Non-Fiction" sub-genres. An example would be:
"Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, which got a tag of "Religion"
If you are familiar with the work, "Religion" isn't an inaccurate tag. I found several other examples of this type when testing the settings. Consequently, I chose to map them without the "Non-Fiction" tag:
"Non-Fiction > Religion" was changed to "Religion" and mapped to "Religion"

This was many hours cutting and pasting, so, though I've checked through it, there might be the odd error. When testing the scanning, the plugin appeared quick as ever.

Thanks again to Kiwidude for the great plugin, DoctorOhh for showing the way and DedTV for compiling the list.

Last edited by Huisie; 08-27-2013 at 06:39 AM. Reason: to correct attachment
Old 12-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #195
rmagere
rmagere began at the beginning.

Device: Android Phone, Android Tablet, iPhone, Kindle PW 1st gen
Question

I was wondering what makes the plugin choose between picking the English tags or tags in other languages (e.g. Italian).

I find that at times -even though I have selected the English edition of a book (e.g. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...the_Borderland) and I am starting from a clean (metadata wise) file with English title and English language, the plugin will insist in downloading Italian tags.

E.g. from the book above I get the following information:
Quote:
"The House on the Borderland

William Hope Hodgson
★★★
See at: Fantastic Fiction, Goodreads, Google, Amazon.it, 9783842497931

eBook in lingua straniera, eBook in inglese, Biografie; diari e memorie, Fantascienza; Horror e Fantasy, Horror, Letteratura e narrativa, Classici, Libri per bambini e ragazzi

Sinossi

From the beasts of the pit to the endless terror of the void

A manuscript is found: filled with small, precise writing and smelling of pit-water, it tells the story of an old recluse and his strange home - and its even stranger, jade-green double, seen by the recluse on an otherworldly plain where gigantic gods and monsters roam.

Soon his more earthly home is no less terrible than this bizarre vision, as swine-like creatures boil from a cavern beneath the ground and besiege it. But a still greater horror will face the recluse - more inexorable, merciless and awful than any creature that can be fought or killed."
Thanks for any help resolving this issue.

P.S. attached is my json file in case it is relevant
Attached Files
File Type: zip Goodreads.zip (11.7 KB, 324 views)

Last edited by rmagere; 12-15-2013 at 09:02 AM.
rmagere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodreads, metadata