Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #16
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia1066 View Post
...I can no longer deregister and register my kindle keyboard to different accounts in the Manage my devices page.
You don't have to do that. At least not for switching accounts respectively countries.
De-registerig your Kindle means, deleting all books.
If you only want to switch countries, in my case from Amazon Germany to Amazon US, you don't have to touch any of your Kindles at all.
You only change the country on Amazon's website in the country settings.
You manually can manipulate your Kindle's on that site as well: Changing the name, re-regsitering and so on.
I sometimes de-register, because I've got too many devices and can't download specific books on my Kindle of choice.
So I either delete the book manually on some other Kindle and then have another license to spare for my Kindle of choice. Or I de-register some Kindle entirely.
But like I said: Not necessary for changing countries!
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #17
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
...But having all my ebooks and other purchases transferred stopped me...
There's no harm to it. And you even don't have to do it.
The basic idea: Normally, when switching countries, you'd stick with the new country for some time. Then it might make sense to take your former purchases with you and have them all in the very same account respectively linked to the very some country.
You can decide against it and only have your newest purchases linked to the new country.
I always transfer my purchases, so I have them all in a single place.
But in the beginning, around 2008, I did not. Back then, my already downloaded purchases did remain on my Kindles. They had not been deleted, although I did not transfer them. So probably the transfer mainly is about managing your purchases in the Amazon account, but not about having them available on the Kindles.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #18
JamesFEvans
~James~
JamesFEvans began at the beginning.

Device: iOS, Kobo Aura
Thanks! Works like a charm! Got my US subscriptions properly! (The New Yorker, The Economist, etc...)
JamesFEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
De-registerig your Kindle means, deleting all books.
No, that's not true. Deregistering your Kindle (or registering it to a different account) does not remove anything. All that will happen is that you will no longer be able to read any books with DRM that were loaded from the previous account. If you subsequently re-register using the original account, those books will become readable again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #20
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
Deregistering removed the archives from the device, and removes books *if* the kindle is a fire, or if it is one of the kindle apps.

As far as registering after deregistering, registering the device must be done from the device itself. You can no longer register a device from the website.
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #21
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Amazon.com.br is almost crap. Since always I have my account configured as if I live in US, and every digital purchase is seamless.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxGirl View Post
Deregistering removed the archives from the device, and removes books *if* the kindle is a fire, or if it is one of the kindle apps.
What do you mean what you say "removes the archive from the device"? The archive is a list of all your purchases which aren't on the device. There's nothing to remove.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #23
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, that's not true. Deregistering your Kindle (or registering it to a different account) does not remove anything. All that will happen is that you will no longer be able to read any books with DRM that were loaded from the previous account. If you subsequently re-register using the original account, those books will become readable again.
Interesting!
So you could have books from numerous accounts in parallel? Read in one account, deregister that one and temporarily use another account? Switching back and forth without ever to having download books again?
It seems to be different for Kindle apps, though. My Sony tablet S did delete all books when deregistering. But then again, the Kindle app didn't work well at all on Sony tablet S...
Old 07-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Interesting!
So you could have books from numerous accounts in parallel? Read in one account, deregister that one and temporarily use another account? Switching back and forth without ever to having download books again?
Yes, that's exactly what a married couple who are friends of mine do. They have separate Amazon accounts; when they want to read each other's books they just unregister the Kindle from their own account, and register it with their partner's account. This is on an actual Kindle reader (he has a KK, she has a PW); I don't know if the apps work differently.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #25
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what a married couple who are friends of mine do. They have separate Amazon accounts; when they want to read each other's books they just unregister the Kindle from their own account, and register it with their partner's account. This is on an actual Kindle reader (he has a KK, she has a PW); I don't know if the apps work differently.

That is possible for eink kindles. Fires and apps do not allow that.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:03 AM   #26
TuxGirl
Groupie

Quote:
What do you mean what you say "removes the archive from the device"? The archive is a list of all your purchases which aren't on the device. There's nothing to remove.
When you deregister the device l, it breaks the link to the account, so the archives (or cloud, on some kindles) is empty. The archived items are no longer listed in the device, until you register back to the account.

And, for fires, content is removed from the device as well (although generally not apps... Although most paid apps either won't run when the device is deregistered, or will cease functioning within about a month when they phone out to verify their registration...
Old 08-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxGirl View Post
When you deregister the device l, it breaks the link to the account, so the archives (or cloud, on some kindles) is empty. The archived items are no longer listed in the device, until you register back to the account.
Yes, that is (self-evidently) true, but I must reiterate that nothing is being removed from the Kindle, because nothing in the Archive is on the Kindle.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #28
TuxGirl
Groupie

Quote:
Yes, that is (self-evidently) true, but I must reiterate that nothing is being removed from the Kindle, because nothing in the Archive is on the Kindle.
Correct. My wording was poor. Nothing is removed on an eink kindle besides the link to the archives.

Thank you for clarifying.