Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #31
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by selina4books View Post
I was going to try and get a blue one but since it will be in an Oberon cover (the cover for the Kindle 4 fits the Kobo Touch so should also fit the Glo) it really doesn't matter what color it is anyway
Alas the Glo is just slightly shorter than the Touch, so a Touch sized case may be too loose for the Glo depending how it's designed. Specifically most of the difference is bezel below the screen that is smaller. Overall it's about 1/4" shorter.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #32
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Alas the Glo is just slightly shorter than the Touch, so a Touch sized case may be too loose for the Glo depending how it's designed. Specifically most of the difference is bezel below the screen that is smaller. Overall it's about 1/4" shorter.
You're right on the fact of things, but why is it an "alas"? Smaller bezels are fantastic, if you ask me, and worth changing cases for. I don't like the big bezels on a lot of newer devices (Kindle Fire, Nexus 7, etc.).
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #33
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
You're right on the fact of things, but why is it an "alas"? Smaller bezels are fantastic, if you ask me, and worth changing cases for. I don't like the big bezels on a lot of newer devices (Kindle Fire, Nexus 7, etc.).
I'm with you on the smaller bezel being good -- the "alas" was because others have found their Touch cases were too loose with the Glo so you may end up having to get a new case . Likely depends on the individual case though.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #34
selina4books
Addict
selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.selina4books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Glo, & Aura HD, KPW, Nook Glow, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
You're right, I missed that looking at the size. But I already have the case for my Kindle 4 so if it fits OK, that's great...if not I'll give it to my daughter with the Kindle and find a new case for the Kobo.
selina4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #35
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
They're here! I bought a Glo at Powells in Portland today. They've got a guy in the front flogging the Kobos, and he seemed to be getting a good deal of attention.

They also had the Mini snap-backs and the Glo Sleepcover, so I bought a Sleepcover. It's OK, except for being a full half-inch too tall and too wide.

I love the screen. No visible defects or artifacts aside from some slight unevenness along the 1/8" of the bottom edge when the light is on and the bottom is set to Clear instead of black. Sitting next to my Sony 950, it makes the Sony look horrible. I'm going to eBay the Sony - couldn't stand to go back to that dark screen again.

Last edited by EldRick; 11-10-2012 at 01:09 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #36
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Awesome, now if I can just find a bookstore local to me who sells them, haven't had any luck with that yet.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #37
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
Awesome, now if I can just find a bookstore local to me who sells them, haven't had any luck with that yet.
Or order from Powells online: http://www.powells.com/biblio/18-0681495000142-0
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #38
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yea, if it comes to it, that's what I'll do. I'm hoping to find a store here in the Eastern NC area that sells it so I can give them the business and support.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #39
neo_valkyrie
Enthusiast
neo_valkyrie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Iphone 4s
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
I've been checking with my local independent bookstores to see if they carry the Kobo Glo but none did so I'm glad I can purchase this online now. I think they only have the black model in stock which was the one I wanted. Thank you so much! Hopefully all goes well.
neo_valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #40
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie

Woot, finally, found a book store about 45 minutes from me that has signed up for the program. Have never been to the store, but looking at their website it looks like it might be what I was looking for. It's close to an area we like to drive to for shopping on occasion so the wife and I might drive down there in a week or two to check it out. The person from the store said she would email me once they got the Kobo's in stock so that should work out well.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #41
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
At first glance it looks like the only way to credit my local bookseller for ebook purchases is to create a new Kobo account *boo* so I dropped them (Powell's) an email asking a way to link up my existing kobobooks account. Hopefully there is something in the partnership to allow for this, or if not a way for partners to complain and get it added.

I had envisioned a cookie that followed me from the local bookshop website, not an account tied to a single bookstore. The existing setup seems a very limiting way to do things for anyone that wanted to support more than independent shop, and for the shops themselves. What if I move? What if I forget I signed up with Joe's Books and thought I was supporting Jane's? What if I travel a lot and want to support the shop in the city I'm currently visiting. I hope there is some sort of co-branding/banner at least to give the customer a heads up.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #42
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
I hope there is some sort of co-branding/banner at least to give the customer a heads up.
There's supposed to be. The ABA long ago asked individual participating bookstores for their logos as web-ready graphics meeting specific size criteria.

So far, all I've seen is a url append, like so, in this case for Titcomb's bookshop in Massachusetts:

Quote:
You can purchase ebooks through Titcomb's Bookshop at Kobo by clicking here.

http://www.kobobooks.com/?utm_medium...rce=ABA2080030
where each store has its own ABA participant number.

From what I've heard, those parameters can be passed at the end of a URL pointing to a specific book title, also.

I'm sure it it will only take a moment before all kinds of problems with this approach can be thought up and posted to this thread, so I won't belabor the point. But it seems that Kobo is trying to get the stores on board with getting their customers to a place where the credit-back is mindless on the part of the purchaser: associating all book purchases from a given account; associating all purchases made on a particular device, etc.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #43
dentateck
Enthusiast
dentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura about

Device: Nook ST, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
Finally got my Kobo Glo in NY! Got it at WORD indie bookstore in Brooklyn and I was actually the first one to buy it from them. Emailed to the store to ask if they had them in stock and lady manager replied with very enthusiastic Yes we do. She said they supposed to start selling them on Thanksgiving but would gladly sell it to me right now. Went there yesterday morning and now for the second day I'm a happy owner of Glo, even finished my first book on it (commuting in those subways and buses a lot).
First impression - it's tinier than I expected, tinier than my Nook Simple Touch and thinner too. I opened device right there in store to make sure I don't have "bright spots" on display as was reported by some people here. It was fine and I'm really impressed how evenly and softly its illuminated. Now I loaded it with 32GB card with a whole bunch of books on it and it takes a looooong while to scan them every time I eject device from my computer which is kinda surprising. In two days that I've been using it for hours it rebooted once when I was in settings trying to find my best font weight/contrast ratio. Other than that it's perfect so far.
dentateck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #44
QueenPepper
QueenPepper began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Smile Glo sighted in Albany, New York

Hi all,
I just picked up a Kobo Glo today at the Book House of Stuyvesant Plaza. They have a (modest) Kobo display in the front of the store, and both the Glo and the Mini are in stock (though none of this is yet mentioned on the store's website). Oddly, they didn't have me sign up for any special sort of account that I could use to give the store a cut of any ebooks I purchase from Kobo -- I thought that was the whole point of the ABA program, but oh well.

I also recently spoke on the phone with The Open Door Bookstore in nearby Schenectady; they confirmed that they'd have the new Kobos for sale in-store "before Thanksgiving". Citizens of upstate New York, rejoice!
QueenPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #45
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Left Bank Books, downtown St Louis just got my $140! My first gen Nook now becomes the grab and run reader for everyone else in the house. Got an old laptop setup, just for calibre and our slowly growing e-book collection. Now they can just sync the old one and go!

We'll see if that happens...
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote