Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #1201
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppulle View Post
So with SameerHs comment....does that mean I can plug my Kobo and sync now....that is, has the firmware on the Kobo site been changed, and if so onto which version?

Is this confirmable?
Sameer is telling us why some devices had trouble and that they have a fix for the next official release. I have not seen any promises for when that would happen.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-10-2012 at 03:09 AM. Reason: restored lost "not"
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #1202
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
No... the firmware is NOT released yet...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #1203
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
ppulle: Echoing PeterT and davidfor: you still need a it of patience. These things will be at the top of Kobo's list to fix, but I think they have learned something interesting about their implementation of things. It will take a while to get the next one right - which they have to do if they are to get over what has been quite an embarrassment.

Have you seen the thread at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...190333&page=4? Would you mind spending a bit of time posting the information about your KT, please?
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #1204
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
This was not due to a manufacturing defects but specifically how the upgrade was processed on some early devices (mostly in AU/NZ) which have a slightly different variant of the manufacturing firmware. This problem has since been fixed by adjusting the upgrade package and these customers will no longer experience difficulties in installing firmware regardless of what version they start from.

Hope that helps clear things up a bit.
Thanks, Sameer.

By 'since been fixed', do you mean in future firmware releases? As 2.1.1 doesn't properly update.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #1205
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Thanks, Sameer.

By 'since been fixed', do you mean in future firmware releases? As 2.1.1 doesn't properly update.
I though 2.1.1 was a version for the Japanese market

Has it been officially released for everyone now?
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #1206
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post

No, Paul - not yet. 2.1.1 is still officially only for the Japanese market, with some of us getting it working in other places by direct installation.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #1207
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:

Patience patience. Sameer said a new firmware would be released soon but he didn't say when. I bet they are desperate to make sure they don't have a repeat of v2.0.0 or the Japanese launch so we just have to give them time.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #1208
kumaryu
Zealot
kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kumaryu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo: Touch, Glo, Arc, Aura, Glo HD, Nexus7, nergy Pro HD
After upgrading to f/w 2.1.1, I was happy to notice (among many other improvements) that the clock has appeared again on the task bar at the top of the screen after a single (centre) tap.

The time dsiplay however changes to "percentage read" indication after about 2 seconds. Although its a useful thing to know, the progress bar at the bottom of the screen also serves a similar function, though not in terms of exact percentages.

I've also noticed that after using the "search" function, the percentage indication is replaced by the title of the book currently displayed. Once again, useful to have if I forget what the book was called... It does happen once in a while but not too frequently... yet.

Does anyone know of any way (or a hack) to control the info displayed or its cycling behaviour? It's probably not too much of an issue for the majority but I don't normally wear/carry a timepiece and KT is my primary timekeeper when I'm on the beach.
kumaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #1209
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:

I am using 2.1.1 it allows for english or preety much all the languages supported by kobo. So far I give it a 10 out 10 for reliability.

But FWIW, I have had no issues from any of the firmware at any time that has been released in the past. The only issues I have ever encountered were directly caused by after market utilities. Those issues were resolved immediately upon discontinued use of the offending utilility at least as far as interaction to the device.

So if you wish to use 2.1.1 you should have no issue. That said back it all up espcially if your books are not stored on external sd card.

Good luck

REgards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #1210
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
How does one update to 2.1.1 ?
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #1211
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
How does one update to 2.1.1 ?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...33#post2201433
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #1212
Slartibartfaust
Enthusiast
Slartibartfaust began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Finally took the plunge and went
to 2.1.1

Fantastic! feels super responsive now, not a single glitch so far
(the abysmal page turn speed in side loaded epubs was driving me bonkers lol)

edit:
only thing i noticed is that touching upper right corner no longer "dog ears" it
not a huge deal

Last edited by Slartibartfaust; 09-11-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Slartibartfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #1213
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfaust View Post
Finally took the plunge and went
to 2.1.1

Fantastic! feels super responsive now, not a single glitch so far
(the abysmal page turn speed in side loaded epubs was driving me bonkers lol)
Good isn't it? The only bug left that bothers me a bit, is when it shows the wrong book cover sometimes. I believe there are a few other bugs, but I don't run into them. So all round, a good version.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #1214
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Good isn't it? The only bug left that bothers me a bit, is when it shows the wrong book cover sometimes. I believe there are a few other bugs, but I don't run into them. So all round, a good version.
On another thread, I have just found out that Kobo pushed out 2.1.1 as the official update to a Touch in Canada (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88#post2219588)

Update: someone else in Canada says they *didn't* get 2.1.1 when they just tried. Odder and odder!

Last edited by Peakcrew; 09-12-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:29 AM   #1215
Shankill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfaust View Post
only thing i noticed is that touching upper right corner no longer "dog ears" it
not a huge deal
That's weird. I have 2.1.1 on mine, and the dog ear thing still works. I don't know about KEPUBs, though, as all my books are sideloaded.