Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #76
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Brain hurt.

Need two lifetimes to catch up with your headspace.

*goes and gets second lifetime*

This information is golddust. thanks mate
Ah, but I wasn't quite done.

Continued from: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=73

Now that you have a working, emulated native, arm build environment ...
And you have just built a copy of tcc v-0.9.26 dynamically linked against uClibc ...
How do you get a static linked tcc out of this when the ./configure and make sequence does not observe the standard --static --static-libgcc sequence?

Thought no one would ask.
Look at the gcc link commands output during the build, in this case there is only one of them of any significance, the final linking:
Code:
gcc -o tcc tcc.o libtcc.a -lm -ldl
Which makes this one a piece of cake, invent your own as:
Code:
(armv6l:1) /home/tinycc # gcc --static --static-libgcc -o tcc-static tcc.o libtcc.a -lm -ldl
(armv6l:1) /home/tinycc # ldd tcc-static
    not a dynamic executable
(armv6l:1) /home/tinycc # strip --strip-unneeded tcc-static
Which disables the functioning of libdl but if you can live without the -run option ...
(The -run option causes this tcc-static to hang, it would take a bit of further tweaking to make -run work while libdl was statically linked).

Check it:
Code:
(armv6l:1) /home # ./tcc-static -o hello hello.c
(armv6l:1) /home # ./hello
Hello World
Now I am done, a static build of tcc v-0.9.26 (un-released) taken from the head of the tcc project repository @ Debian. With the Debian patches installed (which shouldn't have changed ARM behavior).

Edit:
What some users probably need is a build of this with SYSROOT=/mnt/us included in the configure; maybe even add /mnt/us/lib and /mnt/us/include into the tcc-static search paths. But those are documented options in the ./configure --help file and now anyone can do it with these two posts.
Attached Files
File Type: gz tcc-static.gz (108.1 KB, 222 views)

Last edited by knc1; 07-15-2012 at 05:04 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #77
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Excellent. The entire day I spent last week shuffling 80Gb of trash about all seems worth it now.

I shall fill this space with your wondrous toys.

Much appreciated!

Last edited by twobob; 07-14-2012 at 04:41 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #78
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Which disables the functioning of libdl but if you can live without the -run option ...
(The -run option causes this tcc-static to hang, it would take a bit of further tweaking to make -run work while libdl was statically linked).
Edit:
What some users probably need is a build of this with SYSROOT=/mnt/us included in the configure; maybe even add /mnt/us/lib and /mnt/us/include into the tcc-static search paths. But those are documented options in the ./configure --help file and now anyone can do it with these two posts.
Interesting, the "-run" option does not seem to work in the tcc that lrizzo built, which is included in the "complete" tcc package I put together.

Regarding changing SYSROOT -- I built some programs (including SDL for eink) that look for libs in /mnt/us/lib. Nice to not have to futz with environment vars, and don't need symlinks on root. Instead of symlinks in /mnt/us/lib, I just have copies of a lib for each name needed (plenty of space there).

This behavior would definately be a plus for tcc.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-14-2012 at 07:25 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #79
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Regarding changing SYSROOT -- I build some programs (including SDL for eink) that look for libs in /mnt/us/lib. Nice to not have to futz with environment vars, and don't need symlinks on root. Instead of symlinks in /mnt/us/lib, I just have copies of a lib for each name needed (plenty of space there).

This behavior would definately be a plus for tcc.
Who can guess, maybe someone will do it and post it.

My objective was just a "getting started" sort of procedure.

Following the procedure with just changes to the ./configure command would be a good follow-up for someone (else).

- - - -

Myself, I prefer using /mnt/us as a substitute for /usr/local in the FHS plan.

Hmm...
I probably should have include an example usage of DESTDIR ...
Ah, well, that can be a "student exercise" also.
My build of qemu-1.1.1 has an example of using DESTDIR, see: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=85

Last edited by knc1; 07-15-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #80
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Excellent. The entire day I spent last week shuffling 80Gb of trash about all seems worth it now.

I shall fill this space with your wondrous toys.

Much appreciated!
Just to round out your emulation experience ...

The qemu emulator has a selection of (at least) three sound cards with alsa and oss interfaces.
http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/...slackware:qemu

I don't know how out-of-date that wiki page might be, but it is rare for hardware emulation to be removed from qemu once someone writes it.
The main qemu web site would have the final word.
http://wiki.qemu.org/Qemu-doc.html

The start-up command is in: ./run-emulator.sh (and dev-environment.sh just sources it)
That would be the place to tweak any qemu options needed to get sound out of your (emulated) build environment.

Plus, only /home is writable in Rob Landley's setup, so using a --prefix=/home when building software will be required.

The DESTDIR= variable is recognized by some makefiles and can be of use at times also.

I have attached the dynamically linked tcc for your emulation environment to this post. Just in case you haven't built it yet from my earlier posts.

Notes:
This one is built against uClibc - it will not run on the kindles, they don't have uClibc system libraries installed.

This one does have a usable -run option. Which shortens the turn-around time a lot for testing small code snippets.

The obvious advantage here is, make a programming error and the worst you might have to do is cancel the terminal instance you are running the qemu instance from - then it all goes away.

Don't scoff at this development environment - on your mutli-core studio machine it is probably as fast as the K3.
Attached Files
File Type: gz tcc-dynamic.gz (68.2 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by knc1; 07-15-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:25 AM   #81
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Just to round out your emulation experience ...

The qemu emulator has a selection of (at least) three sound cards with alsa and oss interfaces.
http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/...slackware:qemu

I don't know how out-of-date that wiki page might be, but it is rare for hardware emulation to be removed from qemu once someone writes it.
The main qemu web site would have the final word.

The start-up command is in: ./run-emulator.sh (and dev-environment.sh just sources it)
That would be the place to tweak any qemu options needed to get sound out of your (emulated) build environment.

Plus, only /home is writable in Rob Landley's setup, so using a --prefix=/home when building software will be required.

The DESTDIR= variable is recognized by some makefiles and can be of use at times also.
I will make time to create such a masterpiece of testability.

Thanks for the permissions and flags tips!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #82
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
This information is golddust. thanks mate
Thanks.
I added both of the recent "HowTo" posts to the tools_prefix index.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #83
knc1
Going Viral

And for those more interested in system's level programming ...
http://www.elinux.org/Virtual_Development_Board

Adapt as required (Rob's emulation environment is already the ARM versatile-pb, and an eariler post in this thread installed the CS/MG tool-chain).

RSN, someone is going to be booting the K3's Amazon kernel, and then build a good strace. Someday. Don't anyone wait for me to do it.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #84
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I will make time to create such a masterpiece of testability.

Thanks for the permissions and flags tips!
Since the version Slack has published might be different than the one I am running:
qemu-system-arm -audio-help
qemu-system-arm -help

And the Landley emulator scripts recognize two environment variables:
KERNEL_EXTRA
QEMU_EXTRA
The dev-environment.sh script trashes those values for its own use.

So we may want to re-write that run-environment script to take additional options as variables.

Which could include fixing up this hard coded cpu setting.

The cpu type, -cpu arm1136-r2 is hard coded.
And since cat /proc/cpuinfo shows too many features, probably one of these would be a closer match:
qemu-system-arm -cpu ?

Neither that, nor
qemu-system-arm -M ?
has anything at all to say about FreeScale boards/parts.

We may have to futz with that script's start-up command line a bit before you start using the hardware DSP / vector instructions.

Last edited by knc1; 07-15-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #85
knc1
Going Viral

QEMU-1.1.1

I foresee difficulties here, with each developer using what their Linux distribution **thinks** they should have (usually qemu-kvm, not qemu).

Let us see if we can out-smart the distribution planners ...
How I built the current release:
Spoiler:

core2quad BLDS $ wget http://wiki.qemu.org/download/qemu-1.1.1.tar.bz2
core2quad BLDS $ tar --extract --file=qemu-1.1.1.tar.bz2
core2quad BLDS $ cd qemu-1.1.1

(grep DESTDIR Makefile -- yes, it uses it)
(./configure --help -- default is build everything)
(yes -- it supports out-of-tree builds)

core2quad qemu-1.1.1 $ cd ..
core2quad BLDS $ mkdir qemu111 qemubld
core2quad BLDS $ cd qemubld
core2quad qemubld $ ../qemu-1.1.1/configure --prefix=/opt/qemu111 --audio-drv-list="oss alsa" --audio-card-list="ac97 ex1370 sb16 cs4231a adlib gus hda" --target-list="arm-softmmu arm-linux-user armeb-linux-user"
core2quad qemubld $ make
core2quad qemubld $ DESTDIR=/home/mszick/BLDS/qemu111 make install

core2quad qemu111 $ pwd
/home/mszick/BLDS/qemu111
core2quad qemu111 $ sudo chown -R root:root opt
core2quad qemu111 $ cd opt
core2quad opt $ sudo tar --create --gzip --file=../qemu-1.1.1-arm.tar.gz *

Download the attached tar-ball.

Installation:
core2quad ~ $ sudo tar -C /opt --extract --file=qemu-1.1.1-arm.tar.gz
core2quad ~ $ /opt/qemu111/bin/qemu-system-arm --version
QEMU emulator version 1.1.1, Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard

To activate:
core2quad ~ $ export PATH=/opt/qemu111/bin:$PATH
core2quad ~ $ qemu-system-arm --help
- - - lots of output snipped away - - -

Test run:
Spoiler:

core2quad ~ $ cd ~/BLDS/system-image-armv6l
core2quad system-image-armv6l $ ./dev-environment.sh
No distccd in $PATH, acceleration disabled.
oss: Could not initialize DAC
oss: Failed to open `/dev/dsp'
oss: Reason: No such file or directory
oss: Could not initialize DAC
oss: Failed to open `/dev/dsp'
oss: Reason: No such file or directory
(Makes note: need to put that into the HOST file system.)
audio: Failed to create voice `lm4549.out'
Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
Booting Linux on physical CPU 0
Type exit when done.
(armv6l:1) /home # (Enter: ctrl-a c)
(armv6l:1) /home # QEMU 1.1.1 monitor - type 'help' for more information
(qemu) info version
(qemu) info roms
addr=00000000 size=0x00001c mem=ram name="bootloader"
addr=00010000 size=0x15ee58 mem=ram name="zImage"
(qemu) info chardev
parallel0: filename=null
serial0: filename=stdio
serial0-base: filename=stdio
(qemu) info status
VM status: running
(qemu) (Enter ctrl-a c) (Enter 'return key' to get prompt back)
(armv6l:1) /home # exit
Restarting system.
core2quad system-image-armv6l $

NOTE: If your host filesystem does not have a /dev/dsp device:
sudo mknod /dev/dsp c 14 3
But since most /dev file trees are now on tmpfs, this will go away with the next reboot.
It will probably vary from distribution to distribution how best to make this device always present. For now, left as a: "student exercise".

I would like to hear some feedback from others on this build, but it ran well enough for me to create the following static linked applications.
Only: IWFM isn't strong enough to be publicizing it yet.
Attached Files
File Type: gz qemu-1.1.1-arm.tar.gz (5.48 MB, 238 views)

Last edited by knc1; 07-16-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #86
knc1
Going Viral

XZ Utils-5.0.4-static (and LZMA)

I started out to build a current version of strace, but that comes as an xz compressed archive.
Duh...
http://tukaani.org/xz/

So build XZ Utils first:
Spoiler:

(armv6l:1) /home # wget http://tukaani.org/xz/xz-5.0.4.tar.gz
(armv6l:1) /home # tar -xf xz-5.0.4.tar.gz
(armv6l:1) /home # cd xz-5.0.4
(smack this one over the head with a big stick to get autotool's attention)
(armv6l:1) /home/xz-5.0.4 # CFLAGS='--static --static-libgcc' LDFLAGS='--static --static-libgcc' ./configure --disable-shared --prefix=/mnt/us
(armv6l:1) /home/xz-5.0.4 # grep DESTDIR Makefile
(Yes, it supports DESTDIR)
(armv6l:1) /home/xz-5.0.4 # mkdir -p /home/xz504
(armv6l:1) /home/xz-5.0.4 # make
(armv6l:1) /home/xz-5.0.4 # DESTDIR=/home/xz504 make install
(armv6l:1) /home/xz-5.0.4 # cd /home/xz504/mnt/us/bin
(armv6l:1) /home/xz504/mnt/us/bin # ./xz --version
xz (XZ Utils) 5.0.4
liblzma 5.0.4
(armv6l:1) /home/xz504/mnt/us/bin # ldd xz
not a dynamic executable
(armv6l:1) /home/xz504/mnt/us/bin # cd ../../..
(armv6l:1) /home/xz504 # tar -cvzf xz504-static-arm.tar.gz mnt

As you can see in the build notes above, this is the entire distribution (including documentation).
And the tar-ball has a leading directory path of mnt/us ...
(as a reminder of where they should probably end up - but these are all static, so user's choice)

You will probably want to open up the tar ball and select from:
Code:
mnt/us/bin/
mnt/us/bin/xz
mnt/us/bin/lzfgrep
mnt/us/bin/xzdiff
mnt/us/bin/lzmadec
mnt/us/bin/lzcat
mnt/us/bin/unxz
mnt/us/bin/lzdiff
mnt/us/bin/lzma
mnt/us/bin/unlzma
mnt/us/bin/xzcat
mnt/us/bin/xzfgrep
mnt/us/bin/lzcmp
mnt/us/bin/xzgrep
mnt/us/bin/lzless
mnt/us/bin/xzegrep
mnt/us/bin/xzcmp
mnt/us/bin/lzmore
mnt/us/bin/lzgrep
mnt/us/bin/xzmore
mnt/us/bin/xzless
mnt/us/bin/lzegrep
mnt/us/bin/xzdec
mnt/us/bin/lzmainfo
Those applications which you really want from that list above to transfer to your Kindle.
Note: Some of those are scripts, you'll see that when you get the tar-ball opened onto your filesystem.

Edit:
After a bit of study, you probably only need mnt/us/bin/xz because it evidently auto-detects lzma
I have attached it (xz) gzip'd, just gunzip it.

Edit:
The applications inside of the complete tar-ball do not have their symbols stripped.
The individual .gz'd file does have the excess symbols stripped.
Four or five people got copies of the "too big" staticly linked executables.
Attached Files
File Type: gz xz504-static-arm.tar.gz (536.9 KB, 192 views)
File Type: gz xz.gz (113.3 KB, 189 views)

Last edited by knc1; 07-15-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #87
knc1
Going Viral

Strace 4.7 static

This one is the current release of strace.
I did not patch in the Amazon/lab126 syscalls.
I did not build it to decode the new AIO calls.
Other than that, it should "just work".

First, install the just created xz in the emulator's /home/bin directory and put the new bin directory on the path:
Spoiler:

(armv6l:1) /home # mkdir bin
(armv6l:1) /home # cd xz504/mnt/us/bin
(armv6l:1) /home/xz504/mnt/us/bin # cp -a xz /home/bin
(armv6l:1) /home/xz504/mnt/us/bin # cd
(armv6l:1) /home # export PATH=/home/bin:$PATH

The build notes:
Spoiler:

(armv6l:1) /home # wget http://superb-sea2.dl.sourceforge.ne...ace-4.7.tar.xz
(armv6l:1) /home # xz -d strace-4.7.tar.xz
(armv6l:1) /home # tar -xf strace-4.7.tar
(this one does not recognize --disable-shared but seems otherwise well behaved)
(armv6l:1) /home/strace-4.7 # LDFLAGS='-static -static-libgcc' ./configure --prefix=/mnt/us
(armv6l:1) /home/strace-4.7 # grep DESTDIR Makefile
(yup, it recognizes DESTDIR)
(armv6l:1) /home/strace-4.7 # make
(armv6l:1) /home/strace-4.7 # ldd strace
not a dynamic executable
(armv6l:1) /home/strace-4.7 # mkdir ../strace47
(armv6l:1) /home/strace-4.7 # DESTDIR=/home/strace47 make install
(armv6l:1) /home/strace-4.7 # cd /home/strace47
(armv6l:1) /home/strace47 # tar -czf strace-4.7-static-arm.tar.gz mnt

The complete tar-ball contents:
Code:
(armv6l:1) /home/strace47 # tar -tf strace-4.7-static-arm.tar.gz
mnt/
mnt/us/
mnt/us/share/
mnt/us/share/man/
mnt/us/share/man/man1/
mnt/us/share/man/man1/strace.1
mnt/us/bin/
mnt/us/bin/strace-log-merge
mnt/us/bin/strace
mnt/us/bin/strace-graph
Attached, the complete tar-ball plus a copy of strace gzip'd, just gunzip it.

Edit:
The applications inside of the complete tar-ball do not have their symbols stripped.
Attached Files
File Type: gz strace-4.7-static-arm.tar.gz (286.8 KB, 215 views)
File Type: gz strace.gz (134.2 KB, 203 views)

Last edited by knc1; 07-15-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #88
knc1
Going Viral

Edit: For xz.gz and strace.gz

The stripped versions are about half the original posting's size if you wish to re-download them.

Sorry about the posting error folks.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #89
twobob

I've got some serious homework now. Need to book a week off to get my system up to code.

Thanks for your tireless efforts on this forum.

The stripped versions are about half the original posting's size if you wish to re-download them.

Done, cheers

Last edited by twobob; 07-15-2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: added that I grabbed the goodies again
Old 07-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #90
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I've got some serious homework now. Need to book a week off to get my system up to code.

Thanks for your tireless efforts on this forum.

Done, cheers
I updated the lead post with some words about the post attachments.