Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #31
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
So, how is it for reading, compared to the old ones?

Best regards,
Andy
Absolutely incredible. The text looks amazing.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #32
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I'm in two minds about upgrading. I use my iPad primarily to read academic articles, hence I thought it might be worth it for the display. Is the difference really big/noticable in terms of reading text? The new iPads haven't arrived in the stores yet where I am, so I can't check them out here, but I'm going to the US in a few weeks and could buy one there.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #33
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
I'm in two minds about upgrading. I use my iPad primarily to read academic articles, hence I thought it might be worth it for the display. Is the difference really big/noticable in terms of reading text?
Yes. Definitely worth it if you're reading a lot of A4/letter-sized PDF files.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #34
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Yes. Definitely worth it if you're reading a lot of A4/letter-sized PDF files.
OK, thanks. I think I'm leaning that way. I'll see what it looks like in the shop.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #35
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So I've just been using my brother's new Wi-Fi only iPad the past few days. Yesterday, FedEx delivered my iPad 4G+Wi-Fi (Verizon). Looks like it'll be well worth the extra expense. At home, SpeedTest showed 20Mbps down/20Mbps up. At work, 15Mbps down/3Mbps up. Really awesome speeds. Heck, the first few minutes, I didn't notice I was still on LTE while downloading apps. The speed I get on LTE is just the same as what I get from wi-fi (crappy, supposedly N router, wired is faster).

The downside to all that extra speed? I quickly burned 1GB in just a few minutes without even noticing. Now we'll see if I can continue getting the same speeds when visiting the grandparents'.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #36
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
I got my ipad3 on the first day here in Japan. There were no big lines

I love the iPad although the battery drain in more than I expected

But that's the trade off for super high def screen
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #37
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
My iPad 3 arrived on Monday and I'm loving it. It's my first iPad but I already have an iPod Touch and more recently an iMac so many things are quite familiar. I chose the Wireless only version as this is a replacement for my netbook which worked fine that way and decided on 32 GB, thinking that high def apps will take more space.

One feature I really love is the dictation and I know the new iPhoto editing is going to come in handy on holidays. I should be able to produce impressive trip reports.
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:38 AM   #38
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
What models did you get ?
I'm still waiting for the black 64GB WiFi only to be available in Germany...
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #39
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

iPad 4G+Wi-Fi 64GB Black (wish they had released a 128GB model)

Made good use of the 4G LTE connection last weekend when we went to visit the grandparents. Was using the iPad as hotspot and had my laptop, iPod Touch and brother's iPad connected to it. Battery life was really long when used as hotspot. The Mi-Fi only has around 4 hours battery life while the iPad seemed to last the whole day.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #40
Rick G
Renaissance Geek
Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: iPad & kindle
I have a 16gb wifi ipad 3. Got it the day it came out. We have also have an iPad 2 in the house, so I've gotten a pretty good feel for it comparatively.

Compared to the iPad 2.
- It's definitely thicker.
- I know it's heavier, but I haven't really noticed in day to day activity.
- The screen is beautiful but unless you have an older ipad sitting close by, after a while you don't notice it as much.
- The battery seems to last a little bit longer, at least for web surfing.
- For writing, the extra memory seems to make the Pages app a little bit more stable, although I haven't done any major writing marathons on it yet.

Overall, it's not a bad upgrade. But anyone looking for a mind-blowing performance boost over the ipad2 should probably wait until next year.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #41
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
- The screen is beautiful but unless you have an older ipad sitting close by, after a while you don't notice it as much.
The retina display is like having a quad-core CPU or an SSD. You don't really notice the improvement since you get used to it but when you downgrade, that's when you miss it. Back when I got my iPhone 4, I could barely use the iPad 2 because of the obvious pixelation on the display. Back then, I was itching to upgrade to a tablet with retina display (which, I thankfully now have ).
Old 04-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #42
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
There seems to be a lot of reports of problems with the wifi connection. Have any of you experienced this?
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #43
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
There seems to be a lot of reports of problems with the wifi connection. Have any of you experienced this?
Mine is WiFi only and I've had zero problems with it. I've had it since the first day of availability and use the WiFi connection at least a couple of hours every day.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #44
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
Mine is WiFi only and I've had zero problems with it. I've had it since the first day of availability and use the WiFi connection at least a couple of hours every day.
Ditto to Talldog!

Incredibly good device.
I honestly feel it's the best computer-type of purchase I've made in decades. For my creative endeavors, it is like an extension of myself.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #45
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
Overall, it's not a bad upgrade. But anyone looking for a mind-blowing performance boost over the ipad2 should probably wait until next year.
Only somewhat true. I do a ton of art and image manipulation on the iPad... all in the highest resolution which is feasible. The new iPad 3 has double the amount of RAM that the iPad 2 has and it's quite noticeable when pushing an image to it's limits. More memory is always better when dealing with high-rez.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote