Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-30-2006, 04:19 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The 100 Best Novels

Not necessarily my personal favorites, but RandomHouse has a list of their and their readers' top 100 Best Novels.

http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlib...estnovels.html

Excerpt...

The board's top 5:
1. ULYSSES by James Joyce
2. THE GREAT GATSBY by F. Scott Fitzgerald
3. A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN by James Joyce
4. LOLITA by Vladimir Nabokov
5. BRAVE NEW WORLD by Aldous Huxley

The readers' top 5:
1. ATLAS SHRUGGED by Ayn Rand
2. THE FOUNTAINHEAD by Ayn Rand
3. BATTLEFIELD EARTH by L. Ron Hubbard
4. THE LORD OF THE RINGS by J.R.R. Tolkien
5. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:24 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Not necessarily my personal favorites, but RandomHouse has a list of their and their readers' top 100 Best Novels.

Excerpt...

The board's top 5:

The readers' top 5:
Random House's list which is parallel to the other one is also impressive.
Even if some of the books are doubtful to be there, these two lists represent years of great entertainment.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:23 AM   #3
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Man, there must have been some serious vote stuffing going on over there on the reader's choice list. Four Ayn Rand books in the top 10? 3 Hubbard books? This is another result that shows you online re-voteable polls are not accurate.

Of course the "experts" list reads like your typical high school/college english book list, not exactly your typical bedtime reading for the average person.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #4
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
Man, there must have been some serious vote stuffing going on over there on the reader's choice list. Four Ayn Rand books in the top 10? 3 Hubbard books? This is another result that shows you online re-voteable polls are not accurate.
I would deal it with great care to read novels by Lafayette Ronald Hubbard [founder of Scientology].
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:15 AM   #5
ayekappy
I like books! :)
ayekappy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome

Of course the "experts" list reads like your typical high school/college english book list, not exactly your typical bedtime reading for the average person.

Definitely vote stuffing. As has already been said; L. Ron's book is pushed by Scientology. Rand's followers border on cult status as well... but I actually don't mind some of the philosophy in those books... I really wouldn't say Rand's philosophy repeated in a mediocre story qualifies for much intellectual or pleasure reading.
ayekappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:22 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't remember any particular philosophy being pushed in B.F.E. -- you were talking about Rand's books, sorry.

I think it's interesting that being dead doesn't impair Hubbard's ability to write & publish new work. Oh, right, he's just "gone on to the next planet."
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
All this recent talk about Hubbard (everywhere, not here in particular) has made up my mind to read his science fiction novel called "dia"something.
Other than that, I like "top X" lists. Oftentimes there are items in them that might have escaped my attention.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayekappy View Post
... Rand's followers border on cult status as well... but I actually don't mind some of the philosophy in those books... I really wouldn't say Rand's philosophy repeated in a mediocre story qualifies for much intellectual or pleasure reading.
Now cult that out, I enjoyed Ayn Rand books. Having read the Hubbard books (before I had even heard of Scientology) I found them to be very poor representatives of SciFi.

Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird is a true classic.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Not on the top 10 lists but a great book in my estimation is Sinclair Lewis' It Can't Happen Here. I remember reading it in the 1960s and then along came Richard Nixon and Watergate and I remember thinking that Lewis must have some link to the future (the book was written in the late 1930s) because the book was like a portent of Nixon.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome View Post
Apart from 'Ulysses', I thought the board list was more readable than the readers' one.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #11
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Ulysses has spent the past year in my guest bathroom. I have no desire to finish it and my guests apparently don't either. The pages look barely used.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:40 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post

Excerpt...

The board's top 5:

The readers' top 5:
The reader's top 3 in that list are total crap. But the 4 & 5 are very good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #13
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Ulysses has spent the past year in my guest bathroom. I have no desire to finish it and my guests apparently don't either. The pages look barely used.
Ulysses was the most boring book I've ever (tried) to read. It's a fraud. (I can't even understand how can it be considered so good even for scholar purposes).

This listing, though... not universal enough for me. Where's Hugo, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Kafka, Cervantes,...?
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:53 AM   #14
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdiogo View Post
This listing, though... not universal enough for me. Where's Hugo, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Kafka, Cervantes,...?
English only readers (like me ) can only read their works in translation - I'm never clear how much my enjoyment is due to the quality of the source, or the quality of the translation.

It's hard to provide an objective assessment if you can't read in the original language; but the English translations of 'War and Peace' and 'Three Musketeers' I've read are both worthy of inclusion in a Best Novels list.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:30 AM   #15
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
hmm.I'd like to list the King in yellow on top places,but I have no idea if I can classify that as a Novel.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote