Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #31
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Just curious - does anyone else pay Kobo a state sales tax when buying ebooks from them? I was just about to buy an ebook and noticed that I would be charged a DC sales tax and then later an international processing fee. This just keeps getting more and more expensive.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #32
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Just curious - does anyone else pay Kobo a state sales tax when buying ebooks from them? I was just about to buy an ebook and noticed that I would be charged a DC sales tax and then later an international processing fee. This just keeps getting more and more expensive.
Kobo has just recently started charging me in euros because I'm located in France. All their euro-prices have French TVA included, which raises the price of the books by 20%. Plus, because I had been using my US credit card before, when prices were in US dollars, I'm now getting hit with the "foreign transaction fee" by the credit card company in the US.

I suppose I will have to switch to using my French credit card - but I suspect I'll get hit with their higher "foreign transaction fee" because the charge is coming from outside the EU.

Perhaps it is time to change the billing address on my US credit card....
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #33
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The International fees are are bank charges determined by whatever bank or other institution issues your credit card. As the Canadian dollar has gotten stronger, it seems that more banks are charging these. Welcome to my world--Canadians have been ripped off in terms of conversion and fees for a long, long time when we buy on-line from the US.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #34
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The International fees are are bank charges determined by whatever bank or other institution issues your credit card. As the Canadian dollar has gotten stronger, it seems that more banks are charging these. Welcome to my world--Canadians have been ripped off in terms of conversion and fees for a long, long time when we buy on-line from the US.
I was willing - somewhat - to deal with the transaction fee. But the state sales tax??! How am I being charged a sales tax when Kobo is located and delivering from Canada? If I buy a book from Amazon I do not get charged a state sales tax because Amazon is not located in my state and does not have a physical presence in my state (well, lack of state since I don't live in a state). There is no reason I can find for me to be charged this fee.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #35
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
how about getting yourselves a gift card and just using that to make amazon purchases? could avoid the additional fees every time you make an ebook purchase that way
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #36
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

I can't buy from Amazon. :-( No kindle and I don't know how to strip DRM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #37
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
I can't buy from Amazon. :-( No kindle and I don't know how to strip DRM.
oh, oops. but what about just gift cards in general? i know most online bookstores carry them...kobo doesn't have? (or B&N?)
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #38
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
There is no reason I can find for me to be charged this fee.
Are these agency books? If so the publishers have to pay sales tax if they have a nexus in your state and Kobo would be collecting that for them.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I was willing - somewhat - to deal with the transaction fee. But the state sales tax??! How am I being charged a sales tax when Kobo is located and delivering from Canada? If I buy a book from Amazon I do not get charged a state sales tax because Amazon is not located in my state and does not have a physical presence in my state (well, lack of state since I don't live in a state). There is no reason I can find for me to be charged this fee.
Have you considered asking your DC government why they're charging you this tax?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #40
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Regulations for international commerce are, in some cases, different that interstate commerce. US sellers have always had to charge Provincial and Federal sales tax for Canadians. I pay sales tax when buying from any on-line retailer. You will have the same situation soon in the US, if your state governments have their way.

PS: We don't get to keep the tax money, yanno. It gets sent to your government.

Quote:

Last edited by taming; 03-15-2011 at 09:58 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #41
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Are these agency books? If so the publishers have to pay sales tax if they have a nexus in your state and Kobo would be collecting that for them.
You know, I didn't check to see if it is agency? I've not purchased any agency 6 books since the pricing change...
Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #42
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Have you considered asking your DC government why they're charging you this tax?
DC is as full of crooks as PG county. DC would charge me for air if it could.

I've done a ton of internet searches on sales tax for ebooks and kept running into the location of the seller and the huge story about amazon evading sales taxes - but not on ebooks in particular.

But I did neglect searching on Agency 6.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #43
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
oh, oops. but what about just gift cards in general? i know most online bookstores carry them...kobo doesn't have? (or B&N?)
I just checked, Kobo does have gift cards! That will be a great way to keep myself on budget. Thanks
Old 03-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #44
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Regulations for international commerce are, in some cases, different that interstate commerce. US sellers have always had to charge Provincial and Federal sales tax for Canadians. I pay sales tax when buying from any on-line retailer. You will have the same situation soon in the US, if your state governments have their way.

PS: We don't get to keep the tax money, yanno. It gets sent to your government.
I didn't know that international commerce tax laws were different than interstate - or why Kobo is different from the other Canandian re/sellers I've used in the past. I think this was why I was surprised...
Old 03-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
DC is as full of crooks as PG county. DC would charge me for air if it could.
Say it ain't so?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote