Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
robertnovel
robertnovel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Hello Mobile World

Sorry, couldn't resist the lame joke. I came to this forum via the need to convert my books to ebook format. Also, I write sci-fi on the site, and I'm considering setting up a modest on-line publishing co-op for myself and other writers that will specialize in experimental fiction.

I'm interesting in the Mobile Read community's take on DRM. Originally, I was searching for a way to add it to my works, not remove it. (Is there a way to add this in Calibre for OS X? -snow leopard) Obviously -- I think -- after spending a couple of years of my spare time hacking out a novel I'd like some sort of copyright protection, some sort of guarantee that I'm going to reap some profits from work. I share the frustration with the current state of affairs. Is there a better way than the various proprietary formats used by Amazon, B&N, etc?

If there's an existing thread on this, my apologies. Please direct me to it if there is.

Robert Burns
robertnovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Robert and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hi and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Robert.

DRM is no protection against piracy (in my opinion it actively encourages it). Stripping DRM is a simple process. Self respecting pirates, however, mostly target best-selling titles ... and scan the hardbacks and paperbacks as source material rather than ebook copies.

My advice is to avoid DRM like the plague if you want sales and customer loyalty. Many here, for instance (a community of well over 50,000 ebook reading folk) will not download a DRM-padlocked ebook on principle because it's considered an inconvenience at best, an insult at worst, to honest buyers.

Good luck and best wishes. Neil
Attached Images

neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Williamlk
Guru
Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Welcome to MR!
Williamlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Robert.

Just type "drm" into the search bar and have a seat.. You'll be here for a while....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I'm with Neilmar on this subject. If I am someone who is going to pirate books I am not going to bother with unknown authors. I'm going to target books where I would make the most dollars in order to maximize my time. I don't think that you have anything to worry about in terms of piracy until you really make it big, like John Grisham big, NY Times best sellers.

For now I would recommend geting yourself as much exposure as you possibly can. In my opinion: 1) Post your real name on these forums, perhaps forum members will recognize your name when looking for reading materiel; 2) See if you can get your books to sell via Amazon, Barns and Nobles, Borders, Kobo Books, Sony. Its a long shot but perhaps a web site of your own could sell your ebooks. There are some providers who will do that for $5 a month, sell one copy a month and you are making up costs.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Hi, welcome to MR from The Netherlands.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #10
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ...

DRM - a very well worn word here .... search and ye shall be inundated ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, drm, kindle 3, os x