Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
iPad and Kindle Screens Compared Under A Microscope

Nice Gizmodo post:
http://gizmodo.com/5612521/ipad-and-...r-a-microscope
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
wacomme
Enthusiast
wacomme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 arriving 1/12
No wonder the Kindle is easier on the eyes than the iPad.
wacomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
BUT CHECK THE ORIGINAL POST WITH MAGAZINES AND BOOKS!! that is crispness my friend
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
Pixel Qi

I love my Kindle I couldn't live without it... luckily they are cheap enough to replace if, god forbid, the worst should happen.

Anyway, seen the new Pixel Qi screen... see my attached screenshot and google it if you want to know more... an LCD that can become a non-reflective, non-backlight eInk screen... while still able to play video apparently... I foresee a new wave of screens coming our way... someone will bring out an iPad competitor with the new Pixel Qi screens I reckon... they only $250 and can be installed by yourself (if you've got a 10.1" netbook that is... the only released size so far).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pixel qi.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	56654  
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacomme View Post
No wonder the Kindle is easier on the eyes than the iPad.
Yes, exactly.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I guess if you habitually read under 26X or 400X magnification, then I see how this could cause eye-strain. I read at 1X, though, so they both work just fine.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balerion View Post
Anyway, seen the new Pixel Qi screen... see my attached screenshot and google it if you want to know more... an LCD that can become a non-reflective, non-backlight eInk screen... while still able to play video apparently... I foresee a new wave of screens coming our way... someone will bring out an iPad competitor with the new Pixel Qi screens I reckon... they only $250 and can be installed by yourself (if you've got a 10.1" netbook that is... the only released size so far).
It is an LCD screen. They call it epaper. It is not e-Ink and you cannot make an LCD screen magically transform into an e-Ink screen. The Aluratek libre uses a similar screen but without backlighting and they too call it epaper--not e-Ink.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
must have been a slow day at Gizmodo
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:49 AM   #9
Zanshin
Connoisseur
Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch), Kindle DX Graphite, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
It is an LCD screen. They call it epaper. It is not e-Ink and you cannot make an LCD screen magically transform into an e-Ink screen. The Aluratek libre uses a similar screen but without backlighting and they too call it epaper--not e-Ink.
Isn't e-paper and e-ink basically the same?
e-ink being the technology and e-paper being the name of the e-ink display (screen).

If they call their LCD an e-paper, then they're wrong since it doesn't use e-ink.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_paper
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:57 AM   #10
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Electronic paper is a generic term. Eink is the trademarked name of a specific kind of electronic paper technology.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #11
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
kindle is easier to the eyes then ipad
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
Digital Ink
----
Digital Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 International [pre-order]
iStrain.
Digital Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
Vzzzbx
Connoisseur
Vzzzbx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
The iPhone 4 is easier on the eyes than the iPad, due to its insanely high resolution. I swear the backlight is softer, too. iPad screens look reasonably awful now.

I suppose the weird un-pixel pixels of the Kindle et al is why fonts don't look as jaggy on it. There's a bit of randomness to soften the edges of text.
Vzzzbx is offline   Reply With Quote