Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 10-09-2019, 03:38 AM   #1
larysa
Zealot
larysa began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini 4
file preview blank on calibre 4

i have update calibre from 3.48 to 4.0 and same 4.1 version but on edit mode, file preview windows is blank!
why?
larysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:53 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you are on windows 7 you will ned to either update your graphics card drivers and if that does not fix the issue, stay with 3.48 till you have a chance to update windows.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #3
larysa
Zealot

tanxs for reply kovid, your prog it's very nice, i love it! and for me it is an honor talk to the program's founder!
said this, i don't have any problem on my pc and also with my graphics card: i play, and i work with photoshop without problem... why this difference between 3.48 version and 4 version??
and what driver i need to see preview on calibre? i don't understand you made this changement.... more people have win 7 x64 and this update will be a problem for many user...
it is not possible to use some file of 3.48 version and put into 4.1 version to bypass this problem??
Old 10-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No it is not possible, and note and windows 7 is reaching end of life in January, when microsoft will discontinue support for it. If you still wish to stay with win7 you have to use calibre 3.x
Old 10-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #5
larysa
Zealot

i have 2 graphics card: intel (integrated) and ati mobility radeon....
which of the two graphics card update??
Advert
Old 10-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

whichever one you are using and dont updt the cards, update the drivers.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:26 AM   #7
larysa
Zealot

i have used Auslogics Driver Updater to update my driver, but this prog not find new driver for my graphic card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370 (now i have 8.771.1.0 driver version installed).
only find Pci Bus driver for my ATI to update.... but update this driver, nothing has changed, file preview it's always blank!
how to update this driver???
Old 10-10-2019, 07:22 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Not sure it is possible: (I also would not trust just any 3rd party stuff to make ADMIN level changes to my system). When I need ATI drivers, I head to AMD (the manufacturer) or NVIDIA for those.

My W7 system also has the Radeon (ATI) graphics AND the problem.

I understand these companies not keeping the UP TO DATE with software demands of newer programs. They need to sell NEW Hardware and that won't happen if the old stuff 'just keeps on working'.
Planned obsolescence. Don't believe me: Go look for a combo VHS & DVD player to play your (High school days), collection of Movies. How about a Component (connects to your Audio equipment) Cassette tape player. Forget exotic things like a LaserDisc Player, Reel to reel Tape player, Anything Quad. You will be lucky if you find working USED of the older stuff.

Don't get me wrong. some of the old stuff HAS been seriously improved (for the average user). Faster, less battery (power) consumption, smaller components. But for many, it is simply that we have bought the 'latest' for the Status of the Label.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #9
larysa
Zealot

therefore it is not a question of updating the drivers....
do you have to buy a new pc?
only for this little problem it is not necessary....

however it seems really strange to us that we cannot do it in any other way......
Old 10-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by larysa View Post
therefore it is not a question of updating the drivers....
do you have to buy a new pc?
only for this little problem it is not necessary....

however it seems really strange to us that we cannot do it in any other way......
Have you tried (using the official)? Windows update only offers things that have paid the FEEs. They want to sell NEW, so they pay for NEW graphics card support.

For mine
Code:
ATI Radeon™ HD 4000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000, ATI Radeon™ HD 3000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000, and ATI Radeon™ HD 2000/ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics reached peak performance optimization in October, 2013.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #11
larysa
Zealot

for me also! peak performance optimization on 2013!
then we stay on 3.48 version until we buy a new pc...!
a little sad... !
Old 10-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
i have used Auslogics Driver Updater to update my driver, but this prog not find new driver for my graphic card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370 (now i have 8.771.1.0 driver version installed).
only find Pci Bus driver for my ATI to update.... but update this driver, nothing has changed, file preview it's always blank!
how to update this driver???
I don't know which Widows 7 you have (32- or 64-bit), but there are newer drivers available for your graphics card. The link I'm posting is to the AMD website. Seems your driver finder program is not all that reliable.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graph...adeon-hd-6370m

Oh and if the non-beta driver doesn't work, try the beta as it's newer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:55 AM   #13
larysa
Zealot

tanxs JSWolf for your support!
i have win 7 64bit... and yes, it's possible that Auslogics Driver Updater is not perfect!
anyway at your link, on win 7 64bit, i see 2 download:
- Catalyst Software Suite
- Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta
which of the two???

@ kovidgoyal
on this night i thought a solution valid for everyone! on new release of calibre add on preference the ability to choose which driver to use for file preview! new driver or old mode like 3.48 version... simple, do not you think?
Old 10-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
tanxs JSWolf for your support!
i have win 7 64bit... and yes, it's possible that Auslogics Driver Updater is not perfect!
anyway at your link, on win 7 64bit, i see 2 download:
- Catalyst Software Suite
- Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta
which of the two???
Try the Catalyst first and if that doesn't fix things, then install the beta and try again. I'm hoping one of those two will fix your problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:08 AM   #15
larysa
Zealot

ok tanxs! now i try! byebyeeee