Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 11-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #2731
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I finished this a couple of days ago; I think Davidson and May made a compelling listen for the novel, more entertaining than reading it.
Yes, I think only way I'm going to get through it is to go back to the audio version. Well, I'm behind on a knitting project, and it's raining, so that should help. (And yes, the narrator is Nadia May. But I first met her as Donada Peters, so that's how I think of her. )

Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #2732
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yes, I think only way I'm going to get through it is to go back to the audio version. Well, I'm behind on a knitting project, and it's raining, so that should help. (And yes, the narrator is Nadia May. But I first met her as Donada Peters, so that's how I think of her. )

Charlie.
I didn't even notice that you referred to her as Donada Peters. You wrote Peters, I read May; she's always Nadia* May to me for the same reason. (The first book I listened to her by her was D.H. Lawrence's The Rainbow.)

*I was startled to discover that she pronounces Nadia as "Naydia." In my head, I had read it as "Nahdia." I prefer the latter, but it's her (fake) name, so so be it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2019, 03:27 PM   #2733
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't even notice that you referred to her as Donada Peters. You wrote Peters, I read May; she's always Nadia* May to me for the same reason. (The first book I listened to her by her was D.H. Lawrence's The Rainbow.)

*I was startled to discover that she pronounces Nadia as "Naydia." In my head, I had read it as "Nahdia." I prefer the latter, but it's her (fake) name, so so be it.
My first with her (as Donada Peters) was West With the Night, by Beryl Markham, where her understated narration allowed the eloquent description and story to shine through. I no longer remember which book it was where I first encountered her as Nadia May, except that I remember being perplexed by thinking how much Ms. May sounded like Ms. Peters. (This was in the 80's, well before there was such a thing as a World Wide Web in which to look them up!) And yes, I'd always pronounced it as "Nahdia" as well.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:34 PM   #2734
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
'Just finished listening to Becoming Free by Eckhart Tolle--excellent audiobook. I'm thinking of subscribing to Eckhart Tolle Now (where the audio book can be found); there are 9 days left in my trial membership.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #2735
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I'm currently listening to Culture in Nazi Germany by Michael H. Kater, narrated by David de Vries, and I'm finding it rather a slog. While I've been reading a lot about Nazi Germany this year, this is a combination of over my head and beyond my interest level. For all that, I don't mind listening to it, but my retention level is pretty low.
Done! So now I'm going to treat myself to a P.G. Wodehouse, Young Men in Spats, read by Jonathan Cecil.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2019, 07:05 PM   #2736
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
The Spellmonger books have sunk their hooks in me, for all that I often find the first person protagonist as face-punchable as the self-important nobles he despises. I'm deep in the third one and finding excuses to listen ("Oh, I'll just do a spot of housework. Say, why don't I go for a walk?"). The narrator, John Lee, is a perfect fit in the role of smart-ass wizard. The main appeal in these books is the magic, with battles and world building a close runner up. A lot of the spells and creatures are straight out of Dungeons and Dragons, but a little more grounded - things like magic missile or chain lightning are accomplished by manipulating thermodynamics, not just poof! blam! pow! The magical races are the surviving natives of a world where humanity does not quite belong. I do get the impression there's at least some medieval scholarship behind the more mundane details, too. Mancour isn't as nuts-and-bolts or brick-by-brick as some contemporary fantasy authors, but the mostly short and sweet expository tangents are enough to paint the backdrop without bogging down the pace.

His great weakness, as I mentioned before, is characterization, particularly on those rare occasions a woman enters the narrative. You can tell at times he's patting himself on the back for a "strong female character," but on those occasions his protagonist still sounds more like a butcher describing a fine, maybe even smart, pig. The relationships between men and women and the thoughts and actions ascribed to women are the least realistic element of this story about a wizard fighting hordes of goblins. It will depend on the reader whether that feature is made better or worse by the fact that women so seldom appear.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:16 PM   #2737
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
My current listen is The Shining by Stephen King and my previous listen was Saki's short stories, two pretty different books including one being a good bit older than the other. It's really strange but both have a section recounting the story of Bluebeard and his wives, and both recount basically the same version of the story.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:19 PM   #2738
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

'Finally finished The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. Took forever... Resentment, unwillingness to change, unmotivation kept me from finishing the audiobook previously.

One can stay stuck in a mud puddle for too long, however. It's time for change... now.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:21 AM   #2739
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post
'Finally finished The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. Took forever... Resentment, unwillingness to change, unmotivation kept me from finishing the audiobook previously.

One can stay stuck in a mud puddle for too long, however. It's time for change... now.
As Napoleon was credited with saying, Ask anything of me but time. Time is too short for me to waste time listening to a book that I'm not enjoying.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #2740
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
As Napoleon was credited with saying, Ask anything of me but time. Time is too short for me to waste time listening to a book that I'm not enjoying.
It doesn't sound like enjoyment was the primary purpose or goal. Whether the material serves trichobezoar's purposes is another question.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #2741
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Yesterday, I finished The Satapur Moonstone, second in a series set in 1920s India. More of a historical fiction than mystery, almost as though the author realized two-thirds of the way through that she had to provide some sort of crisis and resolution. I didn't feel it stood alone, so I would strongly recommend reading The Widows of Malabar Hill first. They changed narrators, with the first one being more Bombay, and the second more Oxford.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #2742
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
It doesn't sound like enjoyment was the primary purpose or goal. Whether the material serves trichobezoar's purposes is another question.
Thank you, Taosaur. Indeed, I was listening to The Power of Now for information, not to be entertained. It is poetic--the words poetic mysticism come to mind. One could compare Eckhart Tolle's words to Kahlil Gibran's. Both enlightened beings, in my opinion. I had a hard time listening to his audiobook because of the obstacles within (psychological hindrances). You have to be in a certain frame of mind to listen--open-minded and willing.

The Power of Now isn't for everyone. It's for those who are seeking something beyond the superficial--nuggets of truth and pearls of wisdom.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #2743
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Expanse, Book 1, Leviathan Wakes

After REALLY enjoying "The Expanse" TV series on Prime Video last year, I'm finally listening to the first Expanse novel, "Leviathan Wakes." I'm really enjoying the content so far. It's one of those fortunate "The show is great, and the book is even better" situations.
But, a third of the way in, I have some issues with the narrator's pronounciation, which surprised me:

One, the name of the book is "Leviathan Wakes." But twice in the introduction, the narrator referred to it as "Leviathan Awakes." I found that immediately weird.

Two, he repeatedly pronounces the series's primary propulsion system, the Epstein Drive, invented by Solomon Epstein, as an "Eep-steen" drive, long "e" at the beginning.
I've known an number of Epsteins. Some were Steens, some were Stines, but all had a short e in Ep at the beginning.

Three, he pronounces the name of the star Tau Ceti as "Tau SEE' Thai." I'm pretty dang sure it's supposed to be "seh tee" not SEE Thai"

I'm especially curious about all these issues, because I read there was a flap about another narrator doing book 4, and there was such a clamor over how bad he was, that Audible remade the book with this original guy by popular demand.

So is it just me....? i mean I otherwise like the performance, but these issues are distracting, especially since "Eeepsteeen" comes up so frequently.

ApK

ETA:. Ok, I did a little research, and it seems that some sources do indeed pronounce Ceti as See' Thai.
But this is science fiction, and science fiction has exactly one definitive pronunciation of Ceti:

Last edited by ApK; 11-18-2019 at 09:20 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #2744
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Finished I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett and started Snuff, which is also in the same series. Both are narrated by Stephen Briggs. As usual, wonderful performance and great and funny books! I also finished The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle and narrated by Paul Hecht. All I can say is that it made a better movie and I'm glad I got it from the library and didn't buy it. The arrogance of some of these guys almost made me quit the book. Obviously, he was trying to portray characters, but geeze. Maybe it's the writing style - I've never been a big fan of Sherlock Holmes books but I always assumed it was the drug references that turned me off.

Oh, and gotta tell you guys about something so exciting. I went into Miracle Ear for my hearing aid checkup and they upgraded my hearing aid for free! Now I can listen to audiobooks directly from my Iphone app into the hearing aid via bluetooth!!So much nicer when I'm out and about. I have the cheapest from the top-of-the-line.

Last edited by Tarana; 11-18-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #2745
CRussel
(he/him/his)

@ApK: Sometimes, a so-so narrator is "the devil you know" as opposed to the new, even worse narrator. I've seen that in series before. (And I agree, Eeep-steen would drive me nuts.

@Tarana: I saw about your hearing aid upgrade in another thread, and I think that's simply wonderful. What a perfect solution!

Currently listening to the second of Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley/DS Havers series books, read by the incomparable Donada Peters (aka, Nadia May, real name Wanda McCaddon).

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations