Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #31
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post

I hated the onboard fonts, they were too light for my taste but easy to change.
you are speaking of the Inkpad? and which model in particular? also, does it have a nightmode, not just the light variation, but ability to go white to black?

thanks again!
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:34 AM   #32
pondscum
Enthusiast
pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.pondscum knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
I also found the default font on the Inkpad 3 to be too light. Fortunately, it's easy to add more fonts! Just copy the .ttf or .otf files to the system/fonts directory on the device over a USB connection. When you unplug it and switch to reading mode, the new fonts show up with the pre-installed ones in the font selection menu.

I switched to "Literata Book" as my default font. If you like the Kindle "Bookerly" font, that's readily available too.

I was just poking around and did not see an option to invert the screen (white text on black background).
pondscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:17 AM   #33
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
you are speaking of the Inkpad? and which model in particular?
Doesn't matter, they both have the same software and the differences in hardware are just Bluetooth and HZO with the Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
also, does it have a nightmode, not just the light variation, but ability to go white to black?

thanks again!
No, but you can install Cool Reader on it, which has the inverted nightmode. Although the Cool Reader can't read DRM'ed books, you'd need to liberate them beforehand. Cool Reader also gives you the ability to read in two columns when you read in landscape, which seems to be nice because the Inkpad 3 has buttons.

Koreader works on it, too, AFAIK.

I can't tell you how easy it is to install either of them as I've never done this, but from what I read, it seems to be easy enough if one is able to follow instructions to the t.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:20 AM   #34
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondscum View Post
I also found the default font on the Inkpad 3 to be too light. Fortunately, it's easy to add more fonts! Just copy the .ttf or .otf files to the system/fonts directory on the device over a USB connection. When you unplug it and switch to reading mode, the new fonts show up with the pre-installed ones in the font selection menu.

I switched to "Literata Book" as my default font. If you like the Kindle "Bookerly" font, that's readily available too.

I was just poking around and did not see an option to invert the screen (white text on black background).
Thank you, I'll take a look at "Literata Book". Will take a while as I've smashed my reader after one week of ownership , but I will get another one as soon as there is fresh money in the bank. I never even made as much as a scratch on any of my readers in a decade and now this. Oh, well, you live and let die.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:23 AM   #35
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I just received my Inkpad 3 yesterday and it's my first Pocketbook. I loaded some books onto it and got a few questions:
  • Some books are left-aligned and some are justified. It seemingly depends on the book. Is there no justification setting in the OS to make it a certain way for all books? I've got hyphenation turned off fwiw.
  • Bottom margin seems to be inconsistent if I have no footer enabled. Within the same book and with the same margin setting, pages will sometimes creep up to the bottom edge of the screen while the next page leaves a proper whitespace. Is this normal?
  • I simply used the Calibre library I already use for my Kobo and loaded books onto my Pocketbook from that straight away. Any tips or settings I should change in Calibre?

Thanks.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:08 PM   #36
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Sorry to hear this!

I can't help you as I've accidentally smashed mine on Thursday, but there is one thing I can think of that could cause this AFAIK, if you forgot to send epubs and sent kepubs to the Inkpad. It would be able to read them but they could distorte things IRRC.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:54 PM   #37
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry to hear this!

I can't help you as I've accidentally smashed mine on Thursday, but there is one thing I can think of that could cause this AFAIK, if you forgot to send epubs and sent kepubs to the Inkpad. It would be able to read them but they could distorte things IRRC.
Thanks. I now disabled the kobotouchextended driver and resubmitted the books, but the issue with the inconsistent justification and margins still occur.

Last edited by tourneur; 11-09-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:56 AM   #38
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
Thanks. I now disabled the kobotouchextended driver and resubmitted the books, but the issue with the inconsistent justification and margins still occur.
AFAIK the Pocketbook can't override a books, hm, I think it is CSS(??). But one can make the book have justification ingrained with Calibre.

You have to convert the book epub --> epub go to layout, then text, there is a dropdown menue, third option is justification. I am too stupid to make a screenshot with my PC keyboard, sorry. If you can't make sense out of my post, please either google it or ask in the Calibre forums.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #39
tourneur
Zealot

Quote:
AFAIK the Pocketbook can't override a books, hm, I think it is CSS(??). But one can make the book have justification ingrained with Calibre.

You have to convert the book epub --> epub go to layout, then text, there is a dropdown menue, third option is justification. I am too stupid to make a screenshot with my PC keyboard, sorry. If you can't make sense out of my post, please either google it or ask in the Calibre forums.

Hope this helps!
Thanks very much, I found the option!
Old 11-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #40
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
Thanks very much, I found the option!

Good!

I just remembered I have the settings in "output" to device --> "tablet". Did it when I got the Aura One three years ago, so this could be the reason why my bottom margins were fine from the start.

I really hope you'll like the Pocketbook, once everything runs as you like it!
Old 11-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #41
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Is the setting output to device --> tablet the best for the kobo aura one?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #42
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I guess. This is not something I'd do on my own. Normally I wouldn't change anything unless someone here said so. But when the Aura One came out there was so much wrong with the software and I was so upset about it, I really can't remember who or why or if.

Best ask Davidfor about it, he will know.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:33 PM   #43
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Yes. The output profiles are just setting the maximum size of images in the book for when you do a conversion. Anything larger than the maximum size will be resize to be smaller. For older devices, this could help. But, current devices are capable enough to render the images properly for the screen size. Plus, it means you don't need to reconvert if you get a device with a higher resolution screen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:17 AM   #44
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes. The output profiles are just setting the maximum size of images in the book for when you do a conversion. Anything larger than the maximum size will be resize to be smaller. For older devices, this could help. But, current devices are capable enough to render the images properly for the screen size. Plus, it means you don't need to reconvert if you get a device with a higher resolution screen.
Thank you, David!!!!

So nice of you to clarify and even explain why

Old 12-01-2019, 03:35 PM   #45
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by janviet View Post
Hi All,

I'm based in the USA and am looking for a reliable retailer to purchase an InkPad 3. I've tried goodereader.com, but it quickly turned very unprofessional and I will never deal with them again.

I would appreciate a recommendation.

Thanks for your help,

Jan

Do not buy "Inkpad" from "TEA"!
TEA closed its doors, and then disappeared from the Web, leaving its clients to stand alone without technical support.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote