Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #16
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
As much as I hate to admit it, an Apple reader/tablet/slate (whatever you want to call it) will be popular no matter how much it cost or how shitty the battery life is. People tend to give Apple a lot of lea way but matching it up with iTunes will make it easy for tech dummies to spend money on books like they do on music.

My ideal apple slate would be one that has an iMac docking station
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #17
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
On the other hand AUO already manufactures LED's for Apple. AUO is SiPix's biggest shareholder...
It's not so much the availability of the screens, but rather the non-glamorous feel of them. They're black and white, not colour. And while Apple likes black and white, they also like shiny...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #18
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm betting on a tablet with strong reader capabilities. Itunes store integration and apps for the Touch/iPhone are also very likely. As long as it doesn't include exclusive deals on books this can only help everyone. Just look at Amazon's new proposal to compensate authors/publishers. If there weren't a strong possibility of Apple entering the ebook market do you think Amazon would do this?
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #19
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
With all of the hype and speculation over the last 6 to 9 months I think there will be a giant sigh of unrealized expectations if Apple doesn't come out with a tablet of some sort - which is not to say they wont be unveiling the next generation potato peeler next week

I wont be in the market for a new reader in the near future but if Apple does for eBooks what it did for MP3s I'll certainly be visiting their store!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:41 AM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_A_Crook View Post
Judging from the direction Apple went with the Ipod (I.E. Shuffle, no screen MP) it really wouldn't be surprising for them to make an E-ink reader....

Though it will be underwhelming to their capitalism. Maybe. I don't know. Don't kill me!
I would be astounded if Apple came out with an E-ink reader. I don't see it happening.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #21
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
I wont be in the market for a new reader in the near future but if Apple does for eBooks what it did for MP3s I'll certainly be visiting their store!
I hope they won't, really.
I like diversity, it's anoying as hell to see half the mp3 player place only for iPod, when there are tons of other players as worthy of attention, if not more. Then you look for docks, only for iPod, cover? Same again. People chossing to buy someting else can hardly find stuff for thier players.
What I found totally laugable, headset "for iPod" , when they works with anything and everything.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I hope they won't, really.
I like diversity, it's anoying as hell to see half the mp3 player place only for iPod, when there are tons of other players as worthy of attention, if not more. Then you look for docks, only for iPod, cover? Same again. People chossing to buy someting else can hardly find stuff for thier players.
What I found totally laugable, headset "for iPod" , when they works with anything and everything.
If they had first created the MP3 player, I wouldn't have minded (like the Walkman from Sony). But I already had a MP3 player long before Apple started the business...

One positive thing having (real) books in itunes (and I'm not talking about those app-like books that you can already buy) is that more and more people will get accustomed to electronic books.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #23
darius
darius began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Perhaps, but sometimes you can tell the shape of something by the effect it has on its surroundings.
Just like a black hole. You can only tell it's there by the gravitational pull of objects circling it. Much like all these news stories! And once you reach the event horizon there is no escape!
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #24
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
One positive thing having (real) books in itunes (and I'm not talking about those app-like books that you can already buy) is that more and more people will get accustomed to electronic books.
That just not sane.
I mean, how many people went for iPod because "everyone else have it", rather than "i've looked around, and it's what fits my needs best." That's sad.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #25
ricou
Enthusiast
ricou doesn't litterricou doesn't litter

Device: bebook
I am not an apple fan, I don't have an iphone and probably never will.

I am sure they are going to shock the world with their new tablet, but although it might allow ebooks reading (expect locked apple content), it will not be its core purpose.
What they will have is some kind of giand iphone that will be used to browse the web, play music and video.

I would like to see what kind of screen they offer and what kind of battery life we are talking about.

Being in the market for a large reader, it would be stupid to disregard Apple... (it might encourage competition to reduce their prices though).

I can understand the iphone's success, but this device will be both large (not that portable, so in competition with netbooks or even larges sized ereaders )and expensive (it is rumoured that they will be priced close to 1000$, so still highend price).

We can at least say one thing about Apple. They know how to get a buzz !
ricou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #26
Zerhackermann
Enthusiast
Zerhackermann began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Considering that apple always takes existing technologies and spins them into new "ecologies" (pardon the Dilbertism), I seriously doubt they will produce a tablet with e-ink. currently, the only way I know of to do e-ink AND computing is to have two screens. I'm underwhelmed by the concept, personally. but then I do prefer my reader to just resent reading materials and not be a "device"

That said, the prevailing wisdom (that I agree with) is that whatever this doo-dad is, it has to be a iphone or ipod home run or it will be a non-starter.

My personal feeling is that it will be another Macbook Air - the fan boys will buy it because apple gear is like pokemon for grownups to them - "Gotta catch 'em all". But for the great unwashed masses like the rest of us, it will be a very expensive "Why do I need that?" My reasoning is that for anything other than casual internet fiddling, you still really need a physical keyboard. That would make it a laptop. If it is just for media/social networking then it is a big iphone or ipod.

Whatever it is, I am sure ebooks are a part of the plan. But I dont think it will be as good for pure reading as an e-ink device.

I could, of course be wrong. It has happened before.
Zerhackermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #27
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerhackermann View Post
...My reasoning is that for anything other than casual internet fiddling, you still really need a physical keyboard. ...
Apple already has a couple of good wireless keyboards that could connect to the device:

That would provide a logical extension for times when the on-screen keyboard just wouldn't suffice, but still keep the sticker shock down by making that an optional purchase. We'll have to wait and see.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #28
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
"ebook reader" ... I doubt they will unveil a dedicated device, but might be something that will have ebook software on it.
I truly hope it is some kind of file format and not a cloud-based thing where I need constant internet access. Partly because yes, there are still places on this planet where you have neither wifi nor 3G nor GSM coverage, and also because if I buy something, I want to own it, not know it is floating around there, somewhere, in some cloud.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #29
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
I'm thinking it will be something like this:
http://www.theonion.com/content/vide..._revolutionary

But, it'll probably fold back on itself to be used in a tablet fashion.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #30
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Jobs VS Bezoz. Wednesday 27th January 2009. (Towel Boy: Bill Gates).

A knockdown, drag-out, grudge match that has been years in the making. The future of digital entertainment hangs in the balance. Only one will win, but who will lose?!

*Tickets now available from your local distributor.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote