Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-30-2016, 04:38 PM   #1
Marvest
Marvest began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Fixed-Layout from Indesing 2015 to Nook

Hello,
I have created a fixed-layout epub from Indesign CC 2015 that works great on iBooks but not so great in Nook. When I upload the .epub file to nookpress.com/ebook the text looks garbled. I read in an old thread here that saving epub to epub in Calibre would help. But when I try, it gets stuck in 47%. Has anyone been successful uploading a fixed-layout exported from Indesign cc 2015 to Nook? Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Marvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvest View Post
Hello,
I have created a fixed-layout epub from Indesign CC 2015 that works great on iBooks but not so great in Nook. When I upload the .epub file to nookpress.com/ebook the text looks garbled. I read in an old thread here that saving epub to epub in Calibre would help. But when I try, it gets stuck in 47%. Has anyone been successful uploading a fixed-layout exported from Indesign cc 2015 to Nook? Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi:

Well, unless something has DRAMATICALLY changed, NookPress and Nook don't support FXL. They have a proprietary format for NookKids, which is essentially iAuthor, but that's not available to self-publishers, anyway. And, to top it off, you have to be an approved NookKids' book producer to obtain the proprietary NookKids' software--which is utterly unrelated to FXL as you know it from INDD.

What parameters are you using? For what you're trying to do?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
Marvest

Thanks for getting back to me. I read in the Adobe Indesign/Epub forum that Nook supports fixed-layout (according to Pariah Burke): https://forums.adobe.com/message/8785854#8785854
Not sure what you mean by what parameters I am using. I basically used the print Indesign file with a few modifications, exported it to Fixed-layout EPUB, got rid of the encryption file in META-INF (because Nook doesn't like the encryption) and uploaded the .epub file to the Nook site.
By the way in one of Pariah Burke's books he has a chapter on Creating Fixed-Layout Books for Nook. It was done when Indesign didn't have the ability to export directly to Fixed-Layout EPUB. I have contacted Pariah to see if he has updated information regarding Fixed-Layout generated with ID CC 2015.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:38 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me. I read in the Adobe Indesign/Epub forum that Nook supports fixed-layout (according to Pariah Burke): https://forums.adobe.com/message/8785854#8785854
Not sure what you mean by what parameters I am using. I basically used the print Indesign file with a few modifications, exported it to Fixed-layout EPUB, got rid of the encryption file in META-INF (because Nook doesn't like the encryption) and uploaded the .epub file to the Nook site.
By the way in one of Pariah Burke's books he has a chapter on Creating Fixed-Layout Books for Nook. It was done when Indesign didn't have the ability to export directly to Fixed-Layout EPUB. I have contacted Pariah to see if he has updated information regarding Fixed-Layout generated with ID CC 2015.
Well...

Did you determine that Pariah wasn't talking about the NookKids' program--which isn't the same as iBooks, but IS essentially the same program as iAuthor?

Ask him or her for the specifications--in other words, the "parameters" I referred to in my previous. I'm not saying that it's impossible that NookPress created a FXL layout option for adult books, that can be done w/o the NookKids' app, but the last time I looked, or asked, or sent a client to discuss it with them, it was NookKids' or nothing.

I'd certainly be happy to be surprised. I have clients that would like to publish their FXL to Nook, but have been unable to do so.

You say that the text looks garbled, when you try to upload it. And that Pariah has a chapter in the book--what happens if you simply follow that example, and upload the result?

Fascinating stuff.

Hitch
Old 08-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
Marvest

I was trying to avoid the elaborate process described by Pariah (is a he) because it implies to export each page of the book as jpeg! I went back to check the chapter and it mentions what you said: it's just for children books and graphic novels and it has the DRP appended to the file name. So it wouldn't work for the books I'm working on because they don't fit in those categories. Hopefully I'll get an answer from Pariah. If that's the case I'll post a follow up here.
Advert
Old 08-01-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I was trying to avoid the elaborate process described by Pariah (is a he) because it implies to export each page of the book as jpeg! I went back to check the chapter and it mentions what you said: it's just for children books and graphic novels and it has the DRP appended to the file name. So it wouldn't work for the books I'm working on because they don't fit in those categories. Hopefully I'll get an answer from Pariah. If that's the case I'll post a follow up here.
It's NookKids. That's what that does. Put images in, and a book comes out. More or less. If you've ever used iAuthor, SSDD.

I didn't think it existed. I mean...sure, we could miss something, but I haven't heard a whisper, anywhere, about it. This is the first time I saw anyone even claim that FXL was possible--and what he's doing isn't really FXL.

I mean..FXL uses all sorts of stuff to make things stay where they are--not simply slapping jpegs in, one after the other. That's hardly a step forward.

We've made scads of the NookKids books. They're nice, and all that (we have made a lot with audio), but...very, very limited, IMHO. Not bad for kids, and all that, but not ready for the big show.

Good luck. Let me know what he says.

Hitch
Old 08-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #7
Marvest

I got a response from Nook: "Nook does not accept fixed-layout eBooks. For eBook manuscript file submissions, Nook accepts the .doc, .docx, .txt, .rtf, .html, and reflowable .epub formats."
I was preparing already a reflowable epub just in case. It won't look as nice as the fixed-layout but it will have to make do.
PS No word still from Pariah
Old 08-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I got a response from Nook: "Nook does not accept fixed-layout eBooks. For eBook manuscript file submissions, Nook accepts the .doc, .docx, .txt, .rtf, .html, and reflowable .epub formats."
I was preparing already a reflowable epub just in case. It won't look as nice as the fixed-layout but it will have to make do.
PS No word still from Pariah
Yeeeeees, probably for the same reasons that you officially got from Nook. That's the sort of thing that makes me nuts. I bloody tell people when they ask us to make something that they can't use. I don't pretend that I don't know, just to look smart.

Hitch
Old 08-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #9
Marvest

Pariah says officially B&N supports only children's books and graphic novels for fixed-layout books, but, unofficially, many different types of fixed-layout ebooks are available on Nook. So, I don't know. I'm working on the reflowable version for the present job. When I have more time I'll explore Pariah's method. Thanks for your feedback.