Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 07-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #1
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Jacobs, Joseph: Celtic Fairy Tales (Illustrated). V.1a, 02 July 2015

Joseph Jacobs (29 August 1854 – 30 January 1916) and John D. Batten (8 October 1860 – 5 August 1932) were the dream team of fairy tales for children in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Lovely writing style, scholarly appendix (but beware: don't read that more than twice...) by Jacobs, brilliant illustrations by Batten - who could ask for more?

Info about Jacobs can be found here and here; there is a Wikipedia article about Batten too, but it is a bit unsatisfactory.

Jacobs and Batten collaborated on a whole series of fairy tale collections, all of which I intend to upload to Mobileread. This is my first venture into the world of illustrated ebooks, and it has been great fun so far (and the scans of the other books are in far better quality than the scan for this one, so it will be easy from now on...)

The text comes from Wikisource, but I corrected a few obvious mistakes and incorporated the Addenda and Corrigenda into the text. The illustrations were cleaned up from a Google scan available from the Internet Archive.

Enjoy.

Uploaded V.1a:
As suggested, I have added some tags to the metadata. Also corrected a couple of errors that I discovered.

Downloads V.1: 116
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p026.png
Views:	703
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	139919   Click image for larger version

Name:	frontispiece.png
Views:	705
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	139920   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover3.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	139922  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Jacobs-CelticFairyTales-V1a.epub (3.57 MB, 792 views)

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 07-31-2015 at 01:42 PM.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Embarrassingly, I forgot to check before uploading if there is already a copy of this in the MR library; there is...

But it's very old, and I think my version is an improvement.
Advert
Old 07-03-2015, 09:58 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Embarrassingly, I forgot to check before uploading if there is already a copy of this in the MR library; there is...

But it's very old, and I think my version is an improvement.
Thanks. Your version is indeed an improvement, and I have deleted the old version from my calibre library in favour of yours.

I wonder if I might suggest that you consider putting a book description and tags in the content.opf file.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:52 AM   #4
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

That's a good suggestion. I've never really thought of it because I don't use Calibre as my library.

So may I ask what tags you consider important? I guess genre and period, but what else? Would you add things like "for children", "illustrated" etc. as tags?
Old 07-07-2015, 03:29 AM   #5
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Gorgeous! (I sneaked a peek before replying).

I suggest you also add as <dc: subject> such items as Fantasy and Fairy Tales (as well as Children or Juvenile, and Illustrated)

Thank you for this beautiful book.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2015, 04:50 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
That's a good suggestion. I've never really thought of it because I don't use Calibre as my library.

So may I ask what tags you consider important? I guess genre and period, but what else? Would you add things like "for children", "illustrated" etc. as tags?
GrannyGrump got in before me.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #7
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Holy moly, what a gorgeous book! I especially like the illuminated, initial dropcaps.

I was wondering what's up with the cover though? It looks neither scanned nor computer drawn to me. Is it a scan you did a whole bunch of post-processing on?
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Holy moly, what a gorgeous book! I especially like the illuminated, initial dropcaps.
Thanks. Yes, John D. Batten's illustrations are fantastic. And, as I said, the scans for this one were the worst of the bunch. Indian Fairy Tales is almost finished, and it's going to be much nicer (and I can make the initials a little bigger due to the better quality; I love them too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Is it a scan you did a whole bunch of post-processing on?
Indeed. Quite a bit of cleaning, but it never got clean enough; so, frustrated, I fooled around with the freshly installed G'MIC plugin on my GIMP. A filter called "Dream smoothing" (in the "Artistic" subsection) produced this, and I liked it...
Old 07-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #9
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Very nice job! Thanks!
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:43 PM   #10
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Uploaded V.1a with improved tags and a few corrections to the text.