Old 01-11-2013, 03:28 AM   #121
Alexmark
Alexmark began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle App on Android Tablet
Thumbs up Thanks, but need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hi all,

After several weeks of fun getting all of calibre's dependencies to build on Windows 64bit, I finally have a working 64 bit build of calibre in Windows.

The installer is designed to install calibre 64bit alongside an existing calibre 32bit install. So you can switch between them until you figure out which one you want to use. The shortcut for launching calibre 64bit is named "calibre 64bit - E-book management" and when running it the status line at the bottom of the main calibre window will say [64bit].

The advantages of the 64 bit build are it can use all the RAM on machines with more than 3GB of RAM, which allows conversion of certain large and messy documents. There also may be small performance improvements.

The downside is that since this a new build there may well be some bugs that lead to crashes.

So if you are running a 64 bit version of Windows, try out the new calibre 64bit build and let me know how it goes.

http://status.calibre-ebook.com/dist/win64

Note that calibre has had 64 bit builds for linux and OS X for years.
Thanks for all help you are giving for all of us, and hope that you as a guru can help me as well.
I have an Android 4.0 tablet (Sophix) with a Kindle App installed on it. I want to transfer my downloaded ebooks through USB cable and got a problem from the very beginning. I can't make Calibre running on my Win7 64 bit Toshiba laptop.
I tried older versions (7.20, 7.38) and 9.13 64 bit as well. The installation is running smooth, but I can't launch Calibre. I tried all FAQs and HELPs. I uninstalled it 10 times, restarted, deleted the folder Calibre, Calibre2 in Program Files, in Programm Files x86. I deleted folder "caliber" in C:\User\AppData...I installed it in C:\library folder (if I got you right)....I've never found metadata.db file, that's why I didn't delete it....
And finally, after I spent hours, I ran debug, and asking for your assistance.
Help please,

Here is my debug log:

Python function terminated unexpectedly
(123, 'CreateFile', 'The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is i
ncorrect.') (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 108, in run_entry_point
File "site.py", line 50, in load_module
File "site-packages\calibre\__init__.py", line 21, in <module>
File "site-packages\calibre\startup.py", line 65, in <module>
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\localization.py", line 94, in set_translator
s
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\localization.py", line 55, in get_lang
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\config_base.py", line 440, in <module>
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\config_base.py", line 352, in __setitem__
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\config_base.py", line 366, in set
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\config_base.py", line 298, in set
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\lock.py", line 113, in __enter__
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\lock.py", line 32, in __init__
pywintypes.error: (123, 'CreateFile', 'The filename, directory name, or volume l
abel syntax is incorrect.')
C:\library\pylib.zip\calibre\ptempfile.py:27: RuntimeWarning: Parent module 'cal
ibre' not found while handling absolute import

The system cannot write to the specified device.

I fixed it. I had created an account in Windows in Cyrilic letters long time ago. I renamed it later, but the User name stays the same. That's why I had syntax error all the time. As a solution, I had created a new admin account with English letters and everything is running like a charm.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Alexmark; 01-31-2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Found the solution
Alexmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #122
MontyJ
Addict
MontyJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hmm nothing comes to mind that could cause crashes with a combination of Win8 and SSDs. It's likely something else you have in common. Unfortunately the number of variables is so large that it's rather hard to guess what that might be.
I finally concluded I had gone as far as I could to 'isolate' the problem. I did a complete Windows 8 "Reset", using the "Thorough" option, which as near as I can tell wipes and re installs W8 totally.

With this squeaky-clean install on the SSD, I only loaded Calibre x64 and fired it up, intending to load one program at a time until it failed; if it would fail! I have now loaded all my critical programs and utilities and Calibre continues to perform w/o issue! And yes, I have the same plug-ins and settings as used in the previous installation that was failing.

It is a bit disconcerting to "not know why", but that is just my tech mindset and background! But, it is working w/o issue now, so onward and forward
If perchance I now load some obscure program or driver that causes it to fail, hopefully I am now in a position to narrow it down...

And kudos on a great job done on Calibre!!

Monty
MontyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #123
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@MontyJ: Glad you got it working. The wipe and re-install is a traditional method of fixing windows problems

It is unfortunate that there are so many programs in windows that interfere with other programs. Not a week goes by without someone reporting some kind of random crash/freeze in calibre on windows that is caused by some interfering antivirus/malfunctioning driver/other random utility.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #124
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
For what it's worth, I've been running Calibre 64 bit on a out-of-the-box Dell Optiplex with 8 GB or RAM, apparently almost from when it was first available (the computer was fairly new), and have had zero problems of any kind, even through updates.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #125
country0129
Country0129
country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.country0129 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, PC
I can just say

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchreading View Post
Just a quick note for those thinking about installing the 64 bit. I just installed it, an the installer looked at everything I had already set up. I did not have to use any wizard to point to my existing library or re-load my plug-ins. Kovid designed it so that if you had a preexisting installation, all the libraries and plug-ins from your 32 bit would be immediately available in the 64 bit. Since Kovid originally said that the two versions could be run and installed at the same time, I had made the assumption that the 64 bit would require configuration upon installation even if you had the 32 bit version installed. It didn't require any special configuration and it's working great on my system so far.
I must say a huge thank you for making the installation seamless and stress free.
Ditto
country0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #126
lar0chelle
lar0chelle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and Android Tablet
Originally I had the 32-bit version installed but when the 64-bit version was released I installed it. Now when I open the 64-bit version (0.9.17) I get this message:
Could not change the on disk location of this book. Is it open in another program?
It is not opened anywhere else. I'm sorry if this is already discussed somewhere, I'm new to forums and am not sure how to get around. If someone could just point me in the direction to the answer to my problem I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
lar0chelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #127
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lar0chelle View Post
Originally I had the 32-bit version installed but when the 64-bit version was released I installed it. Now when I open the 64-bit version (0.9.17) I get this message:
Could not change the on disk location of this book. Is it open in another program?
It is not opened anywhere else. I'm sorry if this is already discussed somewhere, I'm new to forums and am not sure how to get around. If someone could just point me in the direction to the answer to my problem I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Do you have the (32 bit) content server running? Did you Reboot?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #128
lar0chelle
lar0chelle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Do you have the (32 bit) content server running? Did you Reboot?
Ok I rebooted and still had the same problem so I got to thinking about it - why would the program think I had the file open somewhere else?! and then it dawned on me. I backed up my library onto my external hard drive, which I don't usually keep plugged in but I had been using it earlier so there it was. I believe the program was seeing both copies of the library. Once I ejected the external hard drive and gave it another try - viola! tks for trying to help me.

Last edited by lar0chelle; 02-04-2013 at 01:23 PM.
lar0chelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #129
mikep32
mikep32 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Kovidgoyal, i've downloaded calibre-1.22.0.msi from your webpage. The install to win7 fails with the message "the installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory; C:\programdata\microsoft\windows\startmenu\program s\calibre - e-book management. The installation cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator". I am the only user on this personal pc, i am the administrator, the uac is set to the bottom of the slider. I am able to run other .msi packages and also .exe with no problems. I have tried installing to other than the default directory but get the same error. I have tried 'taking ownership' of the entire directory tree "C:\ProgramData\..." but still get the same error. Is this just my pc, or are others having this problem too? Have you any suggestions for me?
thanks,mike
mikep32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:48 PM   #130
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep32 View Post
Is this just my pc, or are others having this problem too?
It most likely is unique to your PC. I just installed this same version yesterday fresh on my Windows 64 machine without a hitch. Also you posted in the 64 bit calibre thread but the file you typed in is the 32 bit version. The 64 bit version is named calibre-64bit-1.22.0.msi

You might try deleting the file and downloading the version you want fresh from here. If for some reason that does not work you can download the portable version and install it. It is a exe file and not a msi. I have been using the portable version for years on my machine without issue.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #131
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Also you posted in the 64 bit calibre thread but the file you typed in is the 32 bit version. The 64 bit version is named calibre-64bit-1.22.0.msi
Which is borne out by the error message

Quote:
"the installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory; C:\programdata\microsoft\windows\startmenu\program s\calibre - e-book management. The installation cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator
On my system the start menu items are in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\calibre 64bit - E-book Management

Still and all - the 32bit version should install on any Win7 system

@mikep32

I cannot think of any reason why the installer should not be able to write the start menu - did it create the folder - "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\calibre - E-book Management", if it did is there anything in it?

If it exists then I suggest you trash it - ie shift+del

Then perhaps you could you try this
  • First uninstall calibre, make sure the Calibre2 folder is gone from Program Files (X86), and have a look for C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\calibre if it exists trash it
    If you want to use an uninstaller like Revo or IOBit then that's your call, personally I don't like them but...
  • Then run the install again and click Advanced on the license popup (first attachment), click through the next popup (install location), and then on the Product Features popup, deselect Start Menu shortcuts (second attachment), hopefully that will get you to te end of the install
If so, then me or someone will tell you what shortcuts are normally put into that start menu folder.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	118736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	118737  

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-05-2014 at 12:43 AM. Reason: missing not
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:07 AM   #132
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

could be that a previous failed install has left a file lock on that start menu area.

you can inspect via properties , for locks, and you can remove them with freeware unlocker
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #133
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
I've been having issues with latest 64 bits of Calibre. I followed the advices on this thread to have a portable 64 bits on my computer. My current version is 2.63, and the reason it's so old was because I had computer issues, then no computer, then got new computer, but had RAM issues, which got fixed. I usually only update Calibre once a month. Usually I make a backup of my current 64 bits portable files, install the 64 bits on the computer, put the files from there and copy them in the folder Calibre, and voilà it works. Well, it was working... up until now. Now when I do that my library is gone and my books as well. Good thing I made a backup first. How do I install latest Calibre 64 bits without losing my books?
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:52 AM   #134
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
calibre had never loose or delete books/library with an update. More common is, that calibre is pointed to an wrong library path. Why this happen to you, I don't know (usual this happen to users who locate their library to an network or cloud location). Check your library location (in addition if there is a file called metadata.db) and the library path in calibre preferences.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #135
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
calibre had never loose or delete books/library with an update. More common is, that calibre is pointed to an wrong library path. Why this happen to you, I don't know (usual this happen to users who locate their library to an network or cloud location). Check your library location (in addition if there is a file called metadata.db) and the library path in calibre preferences.
DD
On rare cases, the calibre config becomes corrupted during specific types of (?) upgrades and is replaced with the default.
If your Library was NOT the default name, Calibre just forgets that it (and any other) was there.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote