Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 06-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #61
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you'd like, I can send you some HTML output from CLIT and see how you get on converting it if you'd like.
Version 2.1.1 (next post!) updates conversion slightly. I tested with the output you provided, and this generates a "correct" book (no extant HTML tags hanging around) when run with the "--strip-html" switch.

However, you will very likely still want to do some editing prior to running pielrf with any CLIT output. For example, running pielrf on raw CLIT HTML doesn't give you chapters, so you have one long book. And it's kind of "inelegant" to have the "THIS BOOK IS GREAT!" blurbs, followed by the Copyright Page, followed by the book itself, all in one shot.

So, pielrf --strip-html DOES work, but I recommend using striphtml to do the initial cleaning of all tags pielrf doesn't understand. THEN you can easily add <chapter> tags, and run THAT through pielrf. This will produce much nicer results, and only take a little extra time (depending on the complexity of the book).

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 06-21-2007 at 10:06 PM.
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:44 PM   #62
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Version 2.1.1 - Parskip, PIELRF.PY for Windows, etc.

New version pielrf 2.1.1.

See the first post to download.
- On Windows, the executable is now named PIELRF.PY after running setup.
- Added "--parskip=" setting, to allow added spacing between paragraphs
- Any "* * *" on its own line is converted to a section break, unless suppressed with the "--no-starbreak" switch
- Books without <chapter> tags now render without a TOC
- Little bit of extra stripping of CLIT output.
- Added back in one vertical space at beginning of chapter, to offset the chapter title slightly, suppressed with "--no-chapterspace"
By default, the parskip setting is 0, and an increase to about 10 or 20 starts to give visible results.

In the United States, a lot of books use the "* * *" to delimit section breaks within a chapter. These are now automatically found, centered, and given a vertical break, just as in a book.

In terms of vertical space at the chapter heading, this disappeared with version 2.1, so I added it back. If you prefer no additional vertical space, you can turn it off with the "--no-chapterpsace" option.

-Pie
Advert
Old 06-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does --parskip add in a 1/2 line space or a full line space? I hope it's not a full line space. Most people don't like full line spaces on the reader where they are not meant to be.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #64
EatingPie
Blueberry!

The --parskip is actually in points, and is independent of the line spacing. I had to crank it up to like 10 to see any noticeable change.

It's "off" by default (0), so it won't effect anyone unless they actually use it.

EDIT: Let me clarify a bit. Line spacing is applied between paragraphs, THEN the parskip is also added. It being zero (0) means no ADDITIONAL spacing is added. Hope that helps.

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 06-22-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
The --parskip is actually in points, and is independent of the line spacing. I had to crank it up to like 10 to see any noticeable change.

It's "off" by default (0), so it won't effect anyone unless they actually use it.

EDIT: Let me clarify a bit. Line spacing is applied between paragraphs, THEN the parskip is also added. It being zero (0) means no ADDITIONAL spacing is added. Hope that helps.

-Pie
So let me see if I understand, PieLRF is adding a line space between paragraphs and then --parskip can add even more space?
Advert
Old 06-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #66
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Yep.

-Pie
Old 06-22-2007, 02:05 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yep.

-Pie
Would you mind not putting any extra line spaces between paragraphs and letting the user decide? I find the Palm format of extra line spaces to be annoying. If the occasional one is there because it's means to be there, then that's not a problem. But we (the ones who voted in the poll on line spaces and voted no) would prefer not to have them with no way to turn them off.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:04 PM   #68
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Oh! I think we had a miscommunication!

I hate the extra spacing between paragraphs, and would have voted against it too (no offense simmepimme)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmepimme View Post
Is it possible to add some extra vertical space before each paragraph; I like some air between paragraphs?
This feature is OPTIONAL, added per the above request. You MUST specify "--parskip=n" for pielrf to add the extra space. If you don't put this on the command line, there's NO extra spacing. Everything behaves as it did before.

Almost every feature I add, I give a command line switch to control it. Everyone has different tastes, and my goal is to have pielrf to be as flexible as possible to accommodate those tastes. There'll always be a way to turn new features off!

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 06-22-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:14 PM   #69
EatingPie
Blueberry!

New version pielrf 2.1.2.

A minor update / bug fix for ConvertLit.
- Handles ConvertLit <span class="italic"></span>, <span class="bold"></span>, (etc.) for italics, bold, subscript and superscript formatting.
- A few programmatic clean-ups as well.
-Pie
Old 06-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
New version pielrf 2.1.2.

A minor update / bug fix for ConvertLit.
- Handles ConvertLit <span class="italic"></span>, <span class="bold"></span>, (etc.) for italics, bold, subscript and superscript formatting.
- A few programmatic clean-ups as well.
-Pie
Now I know you'll want to hate me for this, but how does PieLRF handle the seperate contents file sometimes generated from LIT to HTML conversions?
Old 06-23-2007, 09:26 PM   #71
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Now I know you'll want to hate me for this, but how does PieLRF handle the seperate contents file sometimes generated from LIT to HTML conversions?

In a word... not at all.

Pielrf will only process the file fed to it, and it doesn't handle external -- or even internal -- links.

-Pie

PS I'll only hate you if you request this as a feature!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:36 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Ok, hate me. Consider it requested.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #73
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Ok, hate me. Consider it requested.
Damn!

I'd be lying if I didn't see that coming though.

I'll look into it.

-Pie
Old 06-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What might be easier to do that would also work is to come up with a program to join them together and make it in a format PieLRF likes.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:25 PM   #75
Lime2K
Lime2K began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-500)
That's probably true. A way to feed it multiple files, and have links between them, would be awesome. Or even if there was a way to bookmark points in a single long file, and link between them, and I would love you forever (in a non-prison-movie way, of course...)

Oh, and the feature where pielrf doesn't make a TOC on a file without <chapter> tags isn't working for me. It just makes a TOC with a single entry of the first line of the file. Do I need to add --disable-toc to force this behaivor? Or did you fix it in 2.1.2, 'cause I havent downloaded that version yet?
Lime2K is offline   Reply With Quote