Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #616
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Suggestion: You could add an "Advanced Debricking" option with just dumps them a shell with all the imx_usb, fasboot stuff and boot images already in the current directory. It would be useful for novices with seriously bricked kindles. Not as easy as kubrick, but easier that doing the full linux stuff themself.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #617
DudeMan
DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.

Device: PW1
Is there any chance that one day it would support the PW1?

Thanks
DudeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #618
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@DudeMan: Not until someone manage to boot these in USB downloader mode without opening the case, no.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #619
Skreelink
Whoops, it broke.
Skreelink is faster than slow light.Skreelink is faster than slow light.Skreelink is faster than slow light.Skreelink is faster than slow light.Skreelink is faster than slow light.Skreelink is faster than slow light.Skreelink is faster than slow light.Skreelink is faster than slow light.Skreelink is faster than slow light.Skreelink is faster than slow light.Skreelink is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 3
Welp, grabbed another Kindle 3 as a replacement... cat knocked the other one off the headboard into the trashcan... I took it as a sign. Maybe I'll rape parts, Cellular radio, SIM card (lol, dunno why, but everyone loves testing), etc. And keep it around as a spare screen just incase.

EDIT: Whee. Got the secondary kindle today, same hardware revision and all (Both have Rev. C on the motherboard) decided to drop the new battery into the 'new' kindle as hopefully not go through the same crap again. After dropping the new battery in, I got the 'critical battery' error, no prob > charge. I put the other battery into the old kindle for storage basically, and bink, green light and the kindle booted (since the other battery was at 50%). So my guess is the kindle requires some kind of power to go into charge mode, since the other one was stone dead, didn't have enough power to charge... sad no? Now I have two working kindle keyboards with 3g.

To anyone with the issue of a kindle not giving you a green light or responding to ANYTHING... see about borrowing the battery out of someone's kindle.

Last edited by Skreelink; 11-23-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Skreelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #620
DudeMan
DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.DudeMan is faster than slow light.

Device: PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@DudeMan: Not until someone manage to boot these in USB downloader mode without opening the case, no.
Thanks for the reply, got my issue solved in the other thread. Thanks NiLuJe.
DudeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #621
exiva
exiva is faster than slow light.exiva is faster than slow light.exiva is faster than slow light.exiva is faster than slow light.exiva is faster than slow light.exiva is faster than slow light.exiva is faster than slow light.exiva is faster than slow light.exiva is faster than slow light.exiva is faster than slow light.exiva is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 4NT
I'm having a problem with my Kindle 4 NT. I used Kubrick 3.6, and my kindle now just loops at the startup screen with a green light. I can still boot into USB downloader, and all that. But it won't load into the KindleOS. Not sure how to fix? I've re-done the process, erased all the partitions with Kubrick, same thing. Any advice?

edit: Fixed the problem. Not sure how, but the mmcblk0p1 partition was corrupted. (Used SSH to try and mount partition, wouldn't mount. Dmesg revealed "JBD: no valid journal superblock found") I downloaded a new mmcblk0p1.img from http://pastebin.com/Wdw4L7yT. scp'd over to /mnt/us and reflashed with dd. Good as new. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by exiva; 12-11-2013 at 07:53 PM.
exiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #622
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
@ixtab, here is U-Boot which could be loaded with imx_usb_loader, contains fastboot server, boots straight into fastboot mode and knows how to reboot whole board (not only CPU), so "fastboot reboot" command works.

Last edited by eureka; 12-22-2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: move artifact to authorative location
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #623
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
I have tried the Live CD without success thus far on my K3. Is there a visible change when you go into USB downloader mode? My screen continues to show the startup screen with the thermometer bar about 3/4 of the way full. The script appears to find the device and claims to have worked, but the flash that is supposed to take several hours claims it is finished in a few seconds.

What do I do at this point?

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #624
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
no visible change on the screen.

Finish in seconds instead of hours?
And you of course let it charge for at least a day before trying, right?

Based on the (lack of) information provided, E-Bay it as: "for parts only".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #625
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
no visible change on the screen.

Finish in seconds instead of hours?
And you of course let it charge for at least a day before trying, right?

Based on the (lack of) information provided, E-Bay it as: "for parts only".
What additional information can I provide? Is there a minimum hardware level for the Live CD to work? I booted it on my IBM ThinkPad 600E, an older P366 based unit, and it appeared to be running.

Yes, I did charge the K3 overnight. I have it on the charger right now. At the start of this message the "charge" light was out. I held the power switch for 20-30 seconds and now the charge light is back on in amber.

I still have the laptop with the Live CD booted, so if there is any diagnostic information saved by the script I can retrieve for you if you would please let me know how to do so. The readme does not guide me in that area.

Dave

Last edited by dhdurgee; 12-28-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: test edit. typo.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #626
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Number 1 thing to keep in mind:
The charger (and its indicator light) is controlled by the firmware.
If the firmware is not operating properly, you can't assume the light means anything.

#2 -
Confirm that your ThinkPad does not turn off USB power when it goes to sleep.
and/or configure it to never go to sleep and keep it on external power.

The "USB downloader mode" is a very simple program burned into the SoC silicon.
As best that I know, it does not attempt to control the charger.
(It doesn't even bring up the off-chip RAM)

Meaning that the micro-controller in the charger will be running in its power-on default mode.

Geekmaster did a lot of research in this area -
and found that the battery seems to charge faster while the device is in USB downloader mode.
(I.E: the charger is running without external controls.)

So put the Kindle into USB downloader mode and let it sit.
The downloader mode will "time out" and shut down the SoC -
but according to what Geekmaster observed, it will not shut down the charger.

Other than removing the battery and putting it on an external Li-Ion charger -
this may be the only way to get your battery charged again.

Note:
Corrections welcome - I may have forgotten or confused something in my explanation above - it has been awhile.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #627
dhdurgee
Guru

Thank you for your clarifications. Since I last posted I have read some of the earlier posts on this thread and now know that kubrick works in virtualbox hosted on linux. Given this I will attempt to use it later today on my Lenovo ideapad Z560 running linux mint x64 and see if more modern hardware makes a difference.

How difficult is it to open the K3 to change the battery? I see that I can buy a replacement battery for about $15, so if it is something a thumb-fingered user can manage without breaking anything this might be my best fallback should my next attempt with kubrick fail.

My final alternative will be to look for a replacement unit on ebay, but I would prefer to get this one back in operation.

Dave

Last edited by dhdurgee; 12-30-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: text edit
Old 12-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #628
dhdurgee
Guru

I am afraid I am seeing the same behavior with kubrick in virtualbox as I did with my tp600e laptop. About the only thing I can add is that lsusb on the linux host shows the following device with the K3 attached and hopefully in "USB downloader mode":

Bus 002 Device 034: ID 15a2:0030 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.

Does this confirm anything? The K3 still displays the kindle boot screen with the 3/4 full thermometer bar.

Are there any other diagnostics I can run against the K3 from either the kubrick VM or linux?

Dave
Old 12-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #629
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Geekmaster did a lot of research in this area -
and found that the battery seems to charge faster while the device is in USB downloader mode.
(I.E: the charger is running without external controls.)

So put the Kindle into USB downloader mode and let it sit.
The downloader mode will "time out" and shut down the SoC -
but according to what Geekmaster observed, it will not shut down the charger.

Other than removing the battery and putting it on an external Li-Ion charger -
this may be the only way to get your battery charged again.

Note:
Corrections welcome - I may have forgotten or confused something in my explanation above - it has been awhile.
Actually, as I recall, it was fastboot mode that fast-charged the battery, and it did not timeout and shutdown the SoC. But that was awhile ago and my mind and memory are full of other things at the moment... But perhaps I did post something like you said. I keep stumbling over posts that are completely new to me, yet claim to have been written by me. Those brain cells must have gotten reallocated for new information or something...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #630
dhdurgee
Guru

A bit of a post-script to my previous post, I noticed that the device number shown by lsusb keeps increasing over time. Does this offer any additional diagnostic information? When I last check I got:

Bus 002 Device 085: ID 15a2:0030 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.

Any further suggestions or pointers to diagnostic scripts would be appreciated.

Dave