Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Toshiba Thrive review

Great Review for the new Toshiba Thrive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL92VWMYOA8

It's definitely a solid tablet for those looking for pc style expandability.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Looking great. If only I could justify my need for one lol.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Looks interesting.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Very interesting.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Nice to see USB host becoming common. Frees you from having to hope for a device-specific accessory lineup and reasonable pricing (hi transformer!). When I do get a tablet, I'm going to want a netbook-like setup. Hopefully the number of generic options like this increases over time. I'd love to see them with batteries like the transformer dock.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My company does not allow me to look at any youtube so I cant see the review. However, I would imagine that it would not meet my needs becuase it will not run off my home network instead it would be based on an ISPs' network.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Nice to see USB host becoming common. Frees you from having to hope for a device-specific accessory lineup and reasonable pricing (hi transformer!). When I do get a tablet, I'm going to want a netbook-like setup. Hopefully the number of generic options like this increases over time. I'd love to see them with batteries like the transformer dock.
Lenovo is supposed to come out with a model similiar to the asus transformer. Don't know how price competive it will be.
but it's my guess, I think the the optional keyboard docking station will become SOP on most tablets within a couple of years.

Asus did it right and I think it will be emmulated. An iPad 3rd party accessory company has already copied this set up alread.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Lenovo is supposed to come out with a model similiar to the asus transformer. Don't know how price competive it will be.
but it's my guess, I think the the optional keyboard docking station will become SOP on most tablets within a couple of years.

Asus did it right and I think it will be emmulated. An iPad 3rd party accessory company has already copied this set up alread.
I was in Office Depot playing with the Transformer and the Thrive, and they had a sign/spec sheet for the Lenovo up already. It was the 32gb version (the sales staff said that was the only version being offered) and it was $499.

It was funny because the sales staff said that the Toshiba was "our best tablet." One sales guy said he preferred the Acer because it had a full USB port, but ironically the Thrive did too.

I was blown away by how great the Transformer felt, but the Thrive was really nice too. It was a little bulky, but the rubberized back was cool, and the port options made it unique. However, the Asus screen was clearly better and it felt much lighter.

Last edited by Noah98; 07-11-2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: More accurate assessment
Old 07-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Stinks they closed down most of the Office Depot's in my area, greater Boston, Staples seems to also have embraced the Tablets as well. Hopefully the Thrive is in there.
They do a nice job as well. Each tablet has there own kiosk. right front and center of the store. nicely done.
Hmmm maybe I'll head up during lunch.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Great review thx.

I really like the Thrive Toshiba really delivered on this product. Having all of the USB, SD slot on the main board is fantastic. It does force the tablet to be thicker, but I think the size is small compared to the convenience is well worth it. Having a replaceable battery that last 11hrs is also great. I'm a little bummed the screen wasn't as nice. I'm going to have to see it in person to see the quality.

If I do get a tablet, this is going to be the one.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 07-07-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Fixed typo and added some text
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Great Review for the new Toshiba Thrive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL92VWMYOA8

It's definitely a solid tablet for those looking for pc style expandability.
She simply does THE best reviews IMHO.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Great review thx.

I really like the Thrive Toshiba really delivered on this product. Having all of the USB, SD slot on the main board is fantastic. It does force the tablet to be thicker, but I think the size is small compared to the convenience is well worth it. Having a replaceable battery that last 11hrs is also great. I'm a little bummed the screen wasn't as nice. I'm going to have to see it in person to see the quality.

If I do get a tablet, this is going to be the one.

=X=
It really is a nice tablet. The screen was by no means bad, but not as good as the ipad 2/Asus Transformer, and a little bit below the quality of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. The screen is about the same in quality as the Acer Iconia and the Xoom.

The form factor was actually really cool, with covered ports, and a nice rugged back.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #13
boswd
Banned

Too bad the mainstream media will kick it to the curb because it's not as thin as the iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 It's a shame the media is hypnotized by a devices thickness.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #14
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Too bad the mainstream media will kick it to the curb because it's not as thin as the iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 It's a shame the media is hypnotized by a devices thickness.
True dat. We've bred an entire generation of devices with anorexia/bulimia. I don't know when gadget news started taking cues from vogue, but by now, they really put their shoulder into it.

My Touch Pro2 was a surprisingly popular phone. Despite having an obsolete OS out of the gate and using tech that was already a generation old on launch, it still managed to rate as the second best smartphone in 2009, only behind the ultra-hyped iphone 3gs. Yet every review had to refer to it as a brick (multiple times) if said review wanted to be taken seriously.

You were right about this video reviewer, even on the thickness issue. She made a big deal out of thickness, but she also explained the tradeoff you were getting in clear detail. Not many reviews connecting the TP2's 5 line, nicely spaced, offset keyboard and satisfying key feedback/ tilting screen with its girth, and as a result, device makers backed far away from substantial keyboards and chased the thinnest possible form factors with shallow boards, 3 and 4 line with no depth or spacing. I think the droid 3 is the first android since the g1 to have 5 (really, 4.5) rows.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I was in Office Depot playing with the Transformer and the Thrive, and they had a sign/spec sheet for the Lenovo up already. It was the 32gb version (the sales staff said that was the only version being offered) and it was $499.

It was funny because the sales staff said that the Toshiba was "our best tablet." One sales guy said he preferred the Acer because it had a full USB port (but ironically the Thrive did too at the same price, and with much more to offer and a clearly superior build quality). I think the Acer is already outclassed.

I was blown away by how great the Transformer felt, but the Thrive was really nice too. It was a little bulky, but the rubberized back was cool, and the port options made it unique. However, the Asus screen was clearly better and it felt much lighter.
Why is the acer outclassed? Please list for us the reasons.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote