Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
grammy57
grammy57 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Which Nook?

I have a couple of questions. I think I'd like a Nook Classic over the new Nook ST. But, I see that the Nook Classic comes in either white or grey. I read somewhere, though I'm not sure where, that the white is the preferred one. Can anyone tell me the differences and what to choose? Also, are there ANY apps for the Nook classic? Sudoku? As you can see, I'm totally new to ereading.
thanks.
grammy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
WHY do you choose the classic over Touch?
Don't get me wrong, the classic Nokk is great, but the Touch is better in pretty much every aspect.
Anyway... about the white/grey... the classic comes either as 3G/WiFi or just WiFi. The 3G/Wifi has the grey back and the WiFi the white back. That is unless people have switched the back, so you really can't go by that 100% when buying a used one.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy57 View Post
I have a couple of questions. I think I'd like a Nook Classic over the new Nook ST. But, I see that the Nook Classic comes in either white or grey. I read somewhere, though I'm not sure where, that the white is the preferred one. Can anyone tell me the differences and what to choose? Also, are there ANY apps for the Nook classic? Sudoku? As you can see, I'm totally new to ereading.
thanks.
The classic had a couple of games, Sudoku and Chess - that's probably the only advantage of the classic over the NST, but the NST is head and shoulders above the classic. Battery life is vastly improved (I charge the NST every 4 weeks, as opposed to every 4 days), the interface is nicer and more intuitive, page turns are faster. I can't think of a single reason to go with the classic over the NST, especially with offers of $69 for the NST (refurb).
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Yep,I concur. I've owned the Classic, the Color and NST. I loved the Classic until the color came out. Then I realized the reading outside limitations of the Color and picked up a NST. I have owned them all and the NST is the best by far. Just the form factor alone blows the rest away. Go to a BN store and judge for your self.

I have to include that I have an Ipad but can't read it out doors.

I live in Colorado and have a great view of the Colorado National Monument from my patio and I love to sit out side with a cup of coffee and read while taking in the view.

Go with the NST. You won't be sorry.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketime View Post
Yep,I concur. I've owned the Classic, the Color and NST. I loved the Classic until the color came out. Then I realized the reading outside limitations of the Color and picked up a NST. I have owned them all and the NST is the best by far. Just the form factor alone blows the rest away. Go to a BN store and judge for your self.

I have to include that I have an Ipad but can't read it out doors.

I live in Colorado and have a great view of the Colorado National Monument from my patio and I love to sit out side with a cup of coffee and read while taking in the view.

Go with the NST. You won't be sorry.

I have no symapthy for you.

The only view I have is of my townhouse cul'de'sac in wonderful, non-scenic suburban central Maryland.

There are plenty of beautiful places in MD. I do not live in one. The Rockies...sigh...
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Joe Minton
eReader
Joe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony 650, iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, Nook: Touch/Glow/Color/Tablet
I own all three, Touch, Color and Tablet.

I seldom use the Touch simply because I do most of my reading indoors, including at night in bed.

All three Nooks are wonderfully capable and there is no favorite around here.

The Touch is light and, by far, the better to hand-hold for anything more than ten minutes. It's form factor/weight is better than either of the others. But, it needs light, the more the better: it is superb outdoors in the daytime. -- doesn't need charging so often either.

My advice is to ask and answer the question: Where am I going to use this thing? If the answer is outside or only in well-lighted rooms, I'd consider the Touch. If, on the other hand, you want to be able to read in normally-lit rooms or in bed at night, get the Tablet (it's worth the extra bux over the Color).

The Tablet/Color is more versatile than the Touch; it can be used in any lighting but full and direct sunlight.

If I could only have one --- it would be the Tablet.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Last edited by Joe Minton; 02-18-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Joe Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Maybe my eyesight is a bit better, but I don't have any issues reading my nook touch even in fairly dim indoor lighting (equivelent to a 60w light somewhere in the room, not simply in a lamp right behind me).

Just like paper, the more light the better though. The contrast levels are also somewhat worse than a mid quality paperback book, so you can't quite read it in as dim a light and it starts getting unpleasent if the light levels get really low. That said, any light level you'd consider reading a paper book in, you can effectively read on a nook touch (or other eink) reader in.

At night in bed, I find my touch to be much more comfortable than my ipad for reading. With my ipad even on minimum screen brightness, I get a lot of eye strain because of the surroundings being completely dark. With my nook touch and the $20 LED book light I have for it, I don't get any eye strain and can read just fine (since it illuminates the room very dimly as well, and not nearly enough to bother my wife sleeping next to me, or keep her from falling asleep).

That said, if you don't get eye strain from the bright screen in dark surroundings, than something with an active display might be a lot more useful, especially if you never or very rarely use it outside. Outside my iPad2's screen is okay at max brightness, but not an enjoyable experience, unlike my nook touch. The ipad2 is just fine however if I am reading in a patch of shade/indirect sunlight.

Portability and battery life, there is just not comparison.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I agree with those who say the Touch is MUCH better than the Classic. As mentioned, the battery life alone is enough to recommend it. I also get 4 weeks with the Touch vs 4 days with my old Classic (which I sold). Plus, the screen on the Touch is better - whiter, more contrast. It's a no brainer, IMHO.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I agree with others--Nook Touch is MUCH better than the classic! It's lighter, smaller, and in my opinion anyway has a much more intuitive interface.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, grey, help needed, white