Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Today In Scarily Accurate Kobobooks Recommendations

Today I received an email from Kobo that combined my two favourite subjects, pizza and murder: A Slice of Murder

It's a bit scary how Kobo's recommendation service combined those two interests and came up with some books for me!

I looked to see what other books that author has written and found that he's got several pizza-murder books. But what I found really interesting is that some of his books are listed twice under two different prices, the higher price is more than double the lower price! Gee I'd be annoyed if I bought it at the higher price and then noticed it was available much cheaper.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
The higher priced ones must be the new hardcover ebook editions...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
So please forgive my ignorance, but do they have pizza joints in every strip mall in New Zealand like they do in Canada and the US?

I've seen the double pricing at Kobo often too. It must be pricing from different publishers. I always double-check every book in case only one publisher is couponable.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
So please forgive my ignorance, but do they have pizza joints in every strip mall in New Zealand like they do in Canada and the US?
New Zealand has Pizza Hut, which has slowly been changing from being restaurants to take-out only. And we've got Domino's Pizza. These tend not to be in malls but in small groups of shops. We also have a chain called Hell Pizza, which started in NZ but has now expanded out to other countries. And there are a few independent places around (my local mall has a place selling pizza and pita pockets). But generally burger places (McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, etc) are more common than pizza places.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
But generally burger places (McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, etc) are more common than pizza places.
Poor soul. Within a 15 minute walk, I have four different pizza places - and a grocery store with a lunch counter that sells pizza slices better than any of the pizza places'. :P
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
moffattm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Poor soul. Within a 15 minute walk, I have four different pizza places - and a grocery store with a lunch counter that sells pizza slices better than any of the pizza places'. :P
Yup, I must admit that I prefer pizza to burgers. I've recently taken to making my own and cooking them on my BBQ, they come out really well and I can have just the toppings that I like!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
New Zealand has Pizza Hut, which has slowly been changing from being restaurants to take-out only. And we've got Domino's Pizza. These tend not to be in malls but in small groups of shops. We also have a chain called Hell Pizza, which started in NZ but has now expanded out to other countries. And there are a few independent places around (my local mall has a place selling pizza and pita pockets). But generally burger places (McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, etc) are more common than pizza places.
Wow, the crappy restaurants are ubiquitous.

But we definitely need a Hell Pizza here.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Wow, the crappy restaurants are ubiquitous.

But we definitely need a Hell Pizza here.
One thing to remember is that while these places are commonplace in the US or Canada, in other countries they are exotic.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
treadlightly
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
One thing to remember is that while these places are commonplace in the US or Canada, in other countries they are exotic.
Unfortunately the name means more than the food. There are good burger joints in NA, and McDonalds isn't one of them. The McDonalds in India, for example, serves a much different menu than a McDonalds in NA (or so I have read). Is the food good at the McDonalds in Australia and NZ? And I'm curious - do they serve lamb burgers?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Unfortunately the name means more than the food. There are good burger joints in NA, and McDonalds isn't one of them. The McDonalds in India, for example, serves a much different menu than a McDonalds in NA (or so I have read). Is the food good at the McDonalds in Australia and NZ? And I'm curious - do they serve lamb burgers?
From talking to visitors from NA, the food is the same. The differences are the limited time things. They did have some lamb burgers around Christmas time that were OK. But, I avoid Maccas as much as possible. It isn't hard to find a much better burger with the lot (egg, bacon, tomato, beetroot, lettuce, pineapple, BBQ sauce) for a little more. And decent chips.

I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
treadlightly
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
From talking to visitors from NA, the food is the same. The differences are the limited time things. They did have some lamb burgers around Christmas time that were OK. But, I avoid Maccas as much as possible. It isn't hard to find a much better burger with the lot (egg, bacon, tomato, beetroot, lettuce, pineapple, BBQ sauce) for a little more. And decent chips.

I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow
Egg AND beets AND pineapple AND BBQ sauce? On the same burger? I guess I'll have to give it a try before I decide whether that is crazy
Old 03-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
moffattm
Addict

Quote:
I don't frequent McDonalds all that much, I'm not too keen on their skinny fries. We have all the usuals (Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, Cheese Burger, etc) which all taste the same as the ones I've eaten in the US and UK, but we also have a few unique items like the Kiwi Burger (got egg and beetroot in it). We have had lamb burgers in the past, they tend to come and go every so often. Current "special" burger is a Texan burger (I haven't quite figured out what makes it Texan, maybe just the BBQ sauce?).

I did find that KFC and Burger King in the UK taste different to what I'm used to in NZ. Mainly the chips, I think it could be the sort of oil they're cooked in.

KFC here in NZ offers a lunch deal where you can select from several different combinations for NZ$5 (about US$4.19 or £2.77). I usually have a burger, piece of chicken, chips and a drink for that price. How does this compare to other countries?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Egg AND beets AND pineapple AND BBQ sauce? On the same burger? I guess I'll have to give it a try before I decide whether that is crazy
As far as I am concerned, it is a normal burger. And I forgot the cheese.

Only an hour to lunch...
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #14
treadlightly
Wizard

It's huge.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
treadlightly
Wizard

Quote:
KFC here in NZ offers a lunch deal where you can select from several different combinations for NZ$5 (about US$4.19 or £2.77). I usually have a burger, piece of chicken, chips and a drink for that price. How does this compare to other countries?
I don't eat at the chain fast food places very often, but US$4 would probably only get you the burger in Canada.