Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #31
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwickimom View Post
I just hope that after you get all your questions answered that it's still on sale
Siwickimom, the NewEgg site says, "Special savings w/ combo purchase, ends 12/31".
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #32
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Siwickimom, the NewEgg site says, "Special savings w/ combo purchase, ends 12/31".
This is just something NewEgg routinely does and does not refer to the sale of the eBook reader itself. The system just picks an item that seems related and gives you a special "combo" price if you buy both. So... the eBook reader is still $137, and the AC adapter is some amount, but when you buy them BOTH you save on both. Kinda like a McDonalds value meal (less than the price of the individual items).

I think from NewEgg's response you can reasonably expect everything Aluratek lists in the package (after all, it's not like it's listed as refurbished or without original packaging).
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #33
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Tonight I have emailed NewEgg to verify if what they are offering for $137 is the same as what Aluratek lists as its package on its website.

$137 without a pouch, wall charger and SD card with 100 books might not be such a great deal.
I received NewEgg's reply today. Looks like bad news.

"In reviewing our site, we show that we do not offer any accessories for the item as shown as the pictures of the item. All of the information that we are provided with is what is listed on our website. We can only guarantee what is in our pictures and we do not guarantee what is stated on the package contents unless this is shown and stated on our site."
Old 11-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #34
JoelB
JoelB began at the beginning.

Device: none
That customer service reply wasn't very helpful. "In reviewing our site..." doesn't tell us anything we can't find out for ourselves. And while NewEgg's product images often show the full contents of the package, this isn't always the case. Just as an example, do you think that the PRS-300 comes without a USB cable? It isn't displayed on the product page, nor is the slip cover that's mentioned in a customer's review.

Besides, the images that NewEgg is using for the Libre are merely copies of the ones on Aluratek's website. It's not like someone opened the box and took a picture of the only thing they found inside.

So while we can't know for sure until someone actually receives one, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Aluratek sent NewEgg the standard Libre package and not some special one that only includes the reader itself.
JoelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #35
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelB View Post
So while we can't know for sure until someone actually receives one, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Aluratek sent NewEgg the standard Libre package and not some special one that only includes the reader itself.
Joel, NewEgg is selling the Libre Pro for $30-40 less than everybody else. I find the idea that everything is included to be too good to be true. I hope I'm wrong!
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #36
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, since someone here already ordered one, I suppose we will find out soon enough.

As for the price--well, it IS a sale, isn't it? NewEgg used to be selling the jetBook for a substantial amount less than everyone else (and the white jetBook for $30 less than black).
Old 11-28-2009, 10:04 PM   #37
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Kralik, the Aluratek Libre lists for $199. So when others offer it for $179 (or $169 in one case), that is a sale price.

So here is NewEgg offering it for $137, but neglecting to say that it comes with a pouch, a wall charger and an SD card with 100 books; and then offers to add a wall charger for another $10. I don't think that they would offer the $10 wall charger if it already came with one.

And since I don't think it comes with a wall charger, I don't think it comes with anything else not listed on their site either.

I hope that we will find out soon about this. $137 for the whole package is a great deal. But if it's by itself, I think that the jetBook Lite for $149 is a better deal.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:29 AM   #38
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:

I hope that we will find out soon about this. $137 for the whole package is a great deal. But if it's by itself, I think that the jetBook Lite for $149 is a better deal.
NewEgg sold jetBook for $159.99 but now the price is $179.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858723004

If you don't need DRM it makes sense to purchase original jetBook from NewEgg when they have it on sale or from BBB with 20% coupon

If you need DRM support jetBook-Lite for $149 will be the best deal

You can also keep in mind that if you reprogram Aluratek with jetBook firmware you probably can't reprogram it back and you will loose the warranty in case if something wrong with unit..
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:23 AM   #39
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I decided to check Newegg again this morning and found the black Libre available. Decided to take the chance that this includes all items listed on the manufacturer's website and I ordered one (now says sold out again). This is for my 15 year old and I didn't want to pay for a more expensive one. Seems like a good deal to encourage reading!
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #40
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
So here is NewEgg offering it for $137, but neglecting to say that it comes with a pouch, a wall charger and an SD card with 100 books; and then offers to add a wall charger for another $10. I don't think that they would offer the $10 wall charger if it already came with one.
As I said, with my experience with NewEgg, their combo deals are fairly random and mostly chosen by an automated computer system. Sort of like Amazon's "buy this item along with XXX." Sometimes the suggestions make sense, and other times they are ridiculous.

Even if the Libre came ONLY with the reader, I still would consider it as a fantastic deal, as the USB cable needed to charge is very easy to get for cheap (if you don't have one already). And, selling an item without ANY type of charger would be outright ridiculous. Are the cheapo earphones or the pouch worth all that much? Naw.

EDIT: One more note regarding the price: NewEgg lists the normal price of the item as $199.99 with a $62.99 sale. When I bought the jetBook, NewEgg gave it to me for $170 when Ectaco was selling it for $300 and eBay was $200+. Don't doubt NewEgg's deals.

Last edited by Kralik; 11-29-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:32 AM   #41
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!
Siwickimom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505- Sangria :) and Black Aluratek Libre
I have a tracking number and mine is on the way. I'll post when I get it. But honestly, I do not see the reason for such skepticism. Even if it only comes with a charger, it's still a great deal. And if it doesn't, I have plenty of chargers laying around, lol. This is cheaper than the other big gift I was considering for him-an iPod Touch- and it's a gift I can feel good about giving. The money I'm saving at Newegg will cover the cost of a Book Armor case for him.
  • I don't care about a pouch- I am getting him a hard case.
  • I don't care about the SD card w/ 100 free books. I have a bajillion SD cards laying around my house and the free books are FREE books and if I want any of them, I can easily get them.
  • I honestly don't care about a wall charger. USB charging works just fine, and my kid has a computer in his room already.

I have a Sony 505 for myself and over 800 books and not a single one w/ DRM. I don't anticipate it being an issue for the books I will be obtaining for my son, either. I am debating on whether or not to flash this with the Jetbook Firmware to get the built in dictionary support since this is for my almost 12 year old.

I guess I don't understand why it's such an issue for you, GA Russell. If you get the extras, it's like gravy. If you don't, it's still a great price for any digital reader. A full 60 bucks under the cheapest 5" reader out there (excluding Jetbook/Lite). But, based on the information on Aluratek's site, if that is what is included in their off the shelf offering, then I expect it will all be included.

If this were refurbished, that's another thing entirely. But new in retail packaging is usually a no-brainer. Unless Aluratek made a special run and re-packaged just for Newegg. In which case, I reckon someone from either company would have known about it when you asked. The reply you got from Newegg translates to some customer service guy (on Black Friday weekend, nontheless) saying 'Uhhhh, not sure. If it isn't listed, can't guarantee it.'

I can see if it DOES arrive with everything I'll have to take pictures to prove it, or you'll never believe it. LOL!!
Siwickimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:40 AM   #42
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!

Quote:
Joel, NewEgg is selling the Libre Pro for $30-40 less than everybody else. I find the idea that everything is included to be too good to be true. I hope I'm wrong!
You don't shop Newegg much, do you?

I have a GPS waiting to be wrapped up as a gift that I snagged about 2 weeks ago for $59 that is currently being sold everywhere else for $159. It wasn't a one day deal, just a great deal. But it's gone now.

What happens in situations like this is that sometimes a company who is trying to break into a market (like Aluratek is) negotiates a reduced rate w/ a high profile retailer like Newegg to get brand recognition. Only geeks like us realize that this is the same Jetbook hardware.

Newegg quite often has offers that seem 'too good to be true.' And then you open the box and there's an extra battery inside that wasn't even listed in the description and you feel like writing an Ode to Newegg.

I hope, for your sake, if you do want to buy it, that it's still available and on sale when you are ready...but I wouldn't assume that just because the 'combo price' is listed till 12/31 that the sale price on the reader will last that long. Or that the supply of readers will last that long!

ETA that Black is totally sold out again and they've put White on sale. Limit 3 per customer. Word is getting around, I guess!

ETA again- Russell, I fail to see how you could say that the Jetbook Lite is a better deal. Rechargeable batteries and charging units aren't cheap, either. I fail to see the logic there. Please explain?

Last edited by Siwickimom; 11-30-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:53 AM   #43
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post

You can also keep in mind that if you reprogram Aluratek with jetBook firmware you probably can't reprogram it back and you will loose the warranty in case if something wrong with unit..
Why's that? Nate, are you able to speak to this at all? Have you attempted to re-flash back to Aluratek's firmware?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #44
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwickimom View Post
ETA again- Russell, I fail to see how you could say that the Jetbook Lite is a better deal. Rechargeable batteries and charging units aren't cheap, either. I fail to see the logic there. Please explain?
Siwickimom, the jetBook Lite doesn't come with accessories either. If I get it, I will have to spend another ca. $30 for a pouch (I wrote to thepouch.com, but in their response they didn't mention a price; and Ectaco's covers cost $50), $26 at BJ's for a battery charger and 12 rechargeable AA batteries, and ca. $10 for an SD card. All that plus the $149 for the device comes to $215. Not a bargain unless you want that specific device.

But to answer your question, I much prefer a user-replaceable battery. The jetBook/Aluratek Libre Pro comes with a sealed battery. I could continue to replace the jetBook Lite's re-chargeable flashlight batteries forever until the screen fails.

In your post you say that you don't need a pouch, a wall charger, an SD card or more free books. OK, if I didn't need them I wouldn't care either.

What amuses me about this friendly little dispute we have here is that two people have asked me why I am skeptical that New Egg will include a great deal of merchandise not listed on its website. I would think that the burden of proof should be on the other side - that they would send items not listed. We'll see.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #45
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!

Yeah, yeah

You can replace the sealed battery, too, you know. But I do understand some people aren't comfortable doing that. My husband and I, we're a tear it apart and do it ourselves kind of couple. We mod or tweak pretty much every electronic we buy, and have zero hardware anxiety when it comes to taking stuff apart. We void warranties . But I reckon at most a new battery might run $12. And let's be real- this is being given to a 12 year old boy....what are the odds it will survive that long, anyway?

Just popping back to let you know that Bing Cashback just went back to 10% for Newegg. So now that bad boy is $137 minus $13.70. And I'm slightly irritated that I missed out on that thirteen bucks, cause I'm CHEAP.

That info just might sweeten the pot for you a bit Takes it down to $123.30

That could change at any moment, by the way- Bing has been fluctuating between 2 and 10% for a few days.

Rebecca

Last edited by Siwickimom; 11-30-2009 at 12:23 PM.