Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
check another "cant't believe they can be so dense story"

"A car repair firm has been taken to court accused of infringing musical copyright because its employees listen to radios at work"

Link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/s...st/7029892.stm
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
So ... their claim is that playing broadcast music in a way that more than one person can hear it is a public performance?

Okay first of all, that would mean that every radio receiver ever made which has a built in speaker has no purpose except infringing on copyright, and is therefore illegal.

The real sign that asylum management has changed hands is that the judge is actually letting this ... rubbish go forward.

It's a very sad day for the few remaining of us who can actually distinguish rational from raving.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Only in the UK could that happen (I hope).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Seen the "Coffee is Hot" warning at McDonald's lately, JSWolf?
Old 10-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I thought coffee was stone cold. Seems I'm wrong.
Advert
Old 10-08-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

You're missing the point: "Caution -- Coffee is Hot" is the short version of "We got sued because some moron dumped hot coffee in her own lap so now we're putting a label on our coffee so that the rest of you morons out there can't claim we didn't warn you when you do the same thing." You can see why they went with the other one, they'd have to have made the "small" coffee 20oz. just to fit the full version.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
You're missing the point: "Caution -- Coffee is Hot" is the short version of "We got sued because some moron dumped hot coffee in her own lap so now we're putting a label on our coffee so that the rest of you morons out there can't claim we didn't warn you when you do the same thing." You can see why they went with the other one, they'd have to have made the "small" coffee 20oz. just to fit the full version.
Oh I do remember that law suit very well. I'm surprised the judge didn't toss her ass in jail for a frivolous law suit. It was just too stupid for words. She also should have been done in for unsafe driving. It's not safe to drive with food between your knees/legs.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Careful NatCh, you might get sued for libel by the mor ... er I mean valued customers in question.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I guess they handle things differently over there.

Here, music is licensed by either ASCAP or BMI. Radio stations keep logs of what they broadcast, and remit the appropriate fees. The right to broadcast it to anyone in range has already been paid for.

Things used to be looser years ago, however: one of the NYC radio stations had a regular "Album for lunch" feature, where they played an entire album, uninterrupted, during lunch hour, and even broadcast a Dolby test tone before cueing the LP so tapers could calibrate their gear.

Ah, the good old days.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Careful NatCh, you might get sued for libel by the mor ... er I mean valued customers in question.
Heh, they'd have to prove they weren't morons, and that I knew they weren't morons.

Wait, 'moron' has a dictionary definition, so I guess they could prove they weren't morons (if they, indeed, were not), but I genuinely and earnestly believe that the intelligence of such people is low enough to meet the definition of moron, so ....

Besides, I'd insist on a jury of my peers, (i.e. non-morons), so I'd probably be okay.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #11
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Quote:
Besides, I'd insist on a jury of my peers, (i.e. non-morons), so I'd probably be okay.
Sorry, but you're SOL. It seems that only morons are allowed on juries these days
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Can someone in the UK tell us how this makes sense? Is this because the radio station is funded by a listener's tax, and they don't know if the customers have paid the listener's tax, or something? Here in the US, a radio station is happy to have their signal on speaker nearly anywhere, as that means the listeners are hearing the radio ads and they can charge more for their advertising time that way. That's what pays for the music. There must be some different legal principle at work here, but I have no idea what it would be.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #13
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
mmmm, perhaps I can alert the appropriate authorities that my next door neighbor continually breaches copyright by having his music blaring so that the entire neighborhood is listening to the "performance",
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:38 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
mmmm, perhaps I can alert the appropriate authorities that my next door neighbor continually breaches copyright by having his music blaring so that the entire neighborhood is listening to the "performance",
Wait ... suddenly this lawsuit is making perfect sense to me!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #15
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:

Wait, 'moron' has a dictionary definition, so I guess they could prove they weren't morons (if they, indeed, were not), but I genuinely and earnestly believe that the intelligence of such people is low enough to meet the definition of moron, so ....
The question is not if their intelligence were low enough but if it were high enough.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote