Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
rebl
r.eads e.njoys b.ooks lol
rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Hi there and question about multiple language ebooks

Hi there,

First post here, but I've visited mobilread before - it's a great forum.
I have a huge collection of e-books in several languages, two of which I fluently read. My problem is that my collection comes form various sources and it's a total mess. 40GB of total-messiness.
I've deleted "real" duplicates using clonespy, but still, my books are in various languages, on various topics and some of them are incorrectly named.
My dream is to have a software (like MediaMonkey for mp3s) that:
1. identifies the language of the book
2. identifies the author and titles
3. stores the e-books in a database with sorting (filtering / tree-like branching) by topic (something like Universal Decimal System), language or other criteria.
4. preferably, the program should also rename and move the files in the filesystem accordingly to their classification by topic.

Can somebody point to an application that could do all these? It doesn't need to be freeware.
I've tried until now Calibri, but it seems:
- it doesn't detect the language of the book
- it doesn't automatically fill a tag or classifies books by language
- it forces me to organize the books by author

One more question - it's a matter of taste but I would like to know what you think: Let's say there is a writere who wrote both fiction and science (or why not, history / literary criticism or other non-fiction works). How would you like to find the books on the shelves of a library? If the books are grouped by topic, obviously this author's books will not stay together. If the books are grouped by authoer, you will have -for that and any author - a mix of fiction and non fiction. If you are looking for a specific book by that author, that wouldn't be a problem. But if you want to brouse the books like taking a walk in a library, wouldn't be better to see them by topic?
I prefer sorting by boocs in folders by topic. I wish calibri would allow this.
rebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You could always catalog your books in a database, independently of their actual organisation on disk. That would allow you to do whatever searches you wished.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
rebl
rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

but.... manually ?

are there any other readers who own both english and non-english books in their collection? I am sure there are! If you use a software for organize /browse tehm, does it filter by language?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR

I read books in multiple languages and have tagged them in Calibre under language-category. Makes for a rather long category list but i can look for whatever I feel like.

As I do the categorising & tagging before uploading to the reader I don't have any problems with doing it manually - it's not as if I upload 100s of books every day. But I do keep dreaming
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi rebl and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I only read in two languages, so I have a tag for 'French' and if it does not have that tag, I assume it is English.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:49 AM   #8
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Hi and welcome to MR!
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:31 AM   #9
rebl

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I didn't realize calibri does allow a "language" tag.
I guess I'll have to look again
Old 03-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
You can make any sort of tag you want, just type it in the 'tag' field. A book can have more than one tag as well.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello rbl, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome-tan.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	48908 to the forum.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote