Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Will there be a PRS-500 firmware upgrade?
Yes; a firmware upgrade for the PRS-500! 18 43.90%
No; there will be a new trade-in offer 17 41.46%
No; Sony will do something else for PRS-500 owners 4 9.76%
Other (leave a message in thread) 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2009, 05:30 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Will the PRS-500 get a firmware upgrade?

A little bit of speculation, anyone? Will the PRS-500 get a firmware upgrade?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
I really cannot see Sony making any moves to update a reader model they have, so far, abandoned. If anything, I believe they may offer a trade-in allowance toward the 300 or 600 as they did when the 700 was debuted.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneS View Post
I really cannot see Sony making any moves to update a reader model they have, so far, abandoned. If anything, I believe they may offer a trade-in allowance toward the 300 or 600 as they did when the 700 was debuted.
Sony did not abandon the 500. The 500 was unable to have ePub added to it due to a limitation in the available code space in the ROM. But maybe Sony will abandon LRF/LRX and allow the 500 to have ADE with ePub. That we won't know until it happens or not.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
The available space on the 500 is not the reason for not having epub (because there is more than enough space). I'd even go as far as saying that a dedicated hacker could have ePub support on the 500 in no more than a few hours, with most of that time being used to make ADE authorize the device.

LRF and LRX do not have to be abandoned to support epub either.
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
I had to vote for "other", I don't believe Sony will do squat for owners of the 500.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post
I had to vote for "other", I don't believe Sony will do squat for owners of the 500.
I don't know if you can change your vote, however I did find this here: http://electronicsblog.sel.sony.com/...95140802902467 from author Valerie Motis posted 8/13/2009:
Quote:
The Sony eBook Store changes to EPUB format

eBook fans, we have heard you-

To help stop the confusion among all the digital book formats, we plan on converting our eBook store to the industry-standard EPUB format by the end of the year. By adopting an open standard, our eBook store will be compatible with multiple devices and our Readers can access multiple sources for content. Right now, our current Reader devices support EPUB and our newly announced Reader Pocket Edition and Reader Touch Edition will too. If you have a PRS 500, we won't leave you out in the cold. There will be an update path. If you are interested in learning when it's available, please send an email to feedback@ebookstore.sony.com with "500" in the subject line and we'll drop you a line when the process is up and running.

You'll start to see more and more EPUB content become available in the coming months and that means more for you to read. What's better than that?
Anyone feel like rigging the vote and sending an e-mail?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
I don't know if you can change your vote, however I did find this here: http://electronicsblog.sel.sony.com/...95140802902467 from author Valerie Motis posted 8/13/2009:

Anyone feel like rigging the vote and sending an e-mail?
Interesting, but color me cynical. I wouldn't be surprised if their "upgrade path" was just offering $25 towards a 600. I honestly will be surprised (quite pleasantly surprised) if they actually do anything worthwhile for the 500.

That being said, I am QUITE tempted to get the 600, if it will fit in my Oberon cover.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post
Interesting, but color me cynical. I wouldn't be surprised if their "upgrade path" was just offering $25 towards a 600. I honestly will be surprised (quite pleasantly surprised) if they actually do anything worthwhile for the 500.

That being said, I am QUITE tempted to get the 600, if it will fit in my Oberon cover.
The more PRS-500 owners who send them a e-mail, the more demand for firmware upgrade, the more likely we are to get one rather than a rather stingy trade-in offer.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I am leaning toward a conversion piece of software that converts ePub to LRF/LRX.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I am leaning toward a conversion piece of software that converts ePub to LRF/LRX.
That could work however wouldn't it be nicer to just take code from the 505 and apply it to the 500? The ePub/ADE code is already done, after all, and works fine (elsewhere).
Converting existing LRF/LRX files might be possible too, and if space on a PRS-500 is an issue converting them from LRF/LRX to ePub and then jettisoning the LRF/LRX code might provide space (if truly needed, but I have my doubts).
Old 08-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
junkml
Addict

Quote:
The more PRS-500 owners who send them a e-mail, the more demand for firmware upgrade, the more likely we are to get one rather than a rather stingy trade-in offer.
Yep, I signed up to be notified about the update, and it would be cool if it was a firmware update or a decent trade-in offer. I'm hoping for the best.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #12
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
My guess, trade in, like what happened when the 505's were released.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #13
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Sadly, their 500 "trade-in" offer was far less ($100?) than what you could easily sell one for in decent condition.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:25 AM   #14
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Sadly, their 500 "trade-in" offer was far less ($100?) than what you could easily sell one for in decent condition.
This is another reason Sony may decide to upgrade the firmware: lack of takeup of their previous trade-in offer.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #15
junkml
Addict

Quote:
This is another reason Sony may decide to upgrade the firmware: lack of takeup of their previous trade-in offer.
If they would offer the trade-in of $150 of the 300 (making it $150) or $200 off the 600 (making it $200), they would probably see more people taking advantage of the offer.

50% off any Sony reader if you trade in your 500 model.

Those trade-in values would be more in keeping with what a 500 goes for on ebay.