Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM   #31711
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Azpen A746, Entourage Pocket eDGe, HP Slate 7 4200en
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Kats is right; I've seen this innumerable times, over the years. I saw it when I was building hotels, during the pre-opening, with new agents being trained, and I saw it when I was installing networked computer systems, ditto. Agents or servicepeople are given a script, and they dare not deviate from it. It's a way for an entity to proceduralize customer service, in an attempt to provide good customer service, but as Kats mentions, it stifles and eventually eliminates the brightest amongst them, because they can't take it.
I've gone around this it tech support calls. I make a point of explaining I am a tech, and have already gone through the troubleshooting procedures they will want me to do. I did have one agent who was apologetic, but he was required by the rules in his company to have me go through them and report what happened while he was on the line with me. I told him I understood and didn't blame him for the stupid.

I did have one tech back when I still used DSL who recognized a fellow tech, and gave me a "You didn't get this from me, but..." URL to a site of a guy who got DSL working on his Linux system. I was tickled.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM   #31712
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
To make this bearable, I've quit giving support employees more information than they asked for, because:

1. They don't even listen to it...
2. Even if they listen to it and understand it, they'll _still_ ask the follow-up questions

So I just call the help desk and tell them:

"My internet doesn't work. I have tried two different computers."

Then I let them run through their questions, and in the end, the conclusion is (most of the time) that there's a problem on their end.
Yes, I have already done x, y and z but I will redo them if it makes your job easier.

Now the funniest tech support call was when one of the two satellite feeds on my TV went down. We went through all the steps in the house, then they had me check all the lines outside. Lines were fine. Looked at the dish itself, whatever technician that had installed the dish, forgot to screw one of the eyes in. Easy fix and yes I got some money knocked off my bill. I was trying not to laugh, the phone tech was finding a supervisor in a hurry.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM   #31713
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I've gone around this it tech support calls. I make a point of explaining I am a tech, and have already gone through the troubleshooting procedures they will want me to do. <snippage>

I did have one tech back when I still used DSL who recognized a fellow tech, and gave me a "You didn't get this from me, but..." URL to a site of a guy who got DSL working on his Linux system. I was tickled.
______
Dennis
We tell them this, too. Does it matter? Not one iota.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM   #31714
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It seems to have become a tradition that I burn my hand on one of the last days of my vacation when renting a cottage or apartment. This time it wasn't on the oven when taking out something, but on the fireplace when messing about with the fire.

It's my left thumb, again. I've held it under running, cold water for about 20 minutes. Put Nestosyl cream on it and bandaged it. Hopefully it isn't as bad as the previous times (I've got two nice scars on both hands).

I'm annoyed with myself now.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #31715
Hemmi
Wizard
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: I also have a Kindle Paperwhite & Samsung Galaxy Tab A
Device: Sony T1,T2,T3, 950,900,700,650,350, Nook HD,HD+, STGlowlight, KoboMini
Oh yes, I have tons of vacation time and little opportunity to use it. Can only roll over so many hours too. Won't just pay it out. We got into a bit of a scuffle with it last fall because we really can only have one person gone at a time. 3 months before my rollover date, we had someone just not show up anymore. Took 2 months to replace them and then someone else come in and say, I know you said I couldn't have this time off but now I have plane tickets so I'm going to have to have it off. That put it down to the wire and I flat out told my boss I'm not losing 15 hours of vacation because it's not my fault I can't take it. We had a go 'round with corporate to get some of it paid out.

I can see we're heading in that direction again because I still have no backup for what I do. I need to start that conversation now with my boss. I want to be able to take more time off and then I am gone the first week of July no matter what. And I told her that last July and we've still not addressed it.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #31716
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
Oh yes, I have tons of vacation time and little opportunity to use it. Can only roll over so many hours too. Won't just pay it out. We got into a bit of a scuffle with it last fall because we really can only have one person gone at a time. 3 months before my rollover date, we had someone just not show up anymore. Took 2 months to replace them and then someone else come in and say, I know you said I couldn't have this time off but now I have plane tickets so I'm going to have to have it off. That put it down to the wire and I flat out told my boss I'm not losing 15 hours of vacation because it's not my fault I can't take it. We had a go 'round with corporate to get some of it paid out.

I can see we're heading in that direction again because I still have no backup for what I do. I need to start that conversation now with my boss. I want to be able to take more time off and then I am gone the first week of July no matter what. And I told her that last July and we've still not addressed it.
This is the first year, hubby won't lose his personal days. That is because he is really sick.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #31717
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Rude is slamming the water glasses on the table and throwing the menus at the customers.

One of my all-time favourite movie scenes.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM   #31718
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Who's that guy placing that ridiculous order? I know him, but I can't come up with the name...

edit: Jack Nicholson, apparently, when he was still in his thirties. I only know him from The Shining and newer movies. That guy is older than I thought.

Last edited by Katsunami; Yesterday at 09:53 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM   #31719
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Who's that guy placing that ridiculous order? I know him, but I can't come up with the name...

edit: Jack Nicholson, apparently, when he was still in his thirties. I only know him from The Shining and newer movies. That guy is older than I thought.
Crap, you're kidding. You don't know Five Easy Pieces? Propelled Nicholson into fame.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM   #31720
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Crap, you're kidding. You don't know Five Easy Pieces? Propelled Nicholson into fame.

Hitch
It took a significant amount of time for me to be born, after this movie was released. I'm not THAT old.

I know a lot of older movies (some right down the 30's (Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes movies, for example), but I didn't know this one.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness